Random 15 Championship: Round 6

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
leamfarrar
Zone 3

Re: Random 15 Championship: Round 6

Post by leamfarrar »

Well that was a whole lot of fun. Great to see everyone who was there, I feel like part of the group now that I've gotten what is four challenges under my belt. I've gotta write up the Z1 challenge first, but I will get to one for today's challenge shortly.
Leam Mark Farrar
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The results for the final round of the 2014/15 Random 15 Championship

This was a "normal" round with just 15 London Underground stations to be visited within zones1-2, these were:
--Sloane Square (meet up)
--Aldgate East
--White City
--West Brompton
--Holloway Road
--Goodge Street
--Vauxhall (LU)
--Angel
--Piccadilly Circus
--Clapham South
--Hammersmith (Dist/Picc)
--Stamford Brook
--Bank
--Euston Square
--Barons Court

Today we had 12 challengers in 9 teams, therefore in reverse order:

9th: Richard Graham and Myles Swaine-Gray finishing at Goodge Street in a time of 03:10:39
8th: Sam Inman finishing at Clapham South in a time of 02:43:04
7th: Leam Farrar finishing at Aldgate East in a time of 02:42:16
6th: Nick Gardner finishing at Clapham South in a time of 02:32:48
=4th: Tangy finishing at Clapham South in a time of 02:29:04
=4th: Kevin Brown, Damian Cook and Glen Bryant finishing at Clapham South in a time of 02:29:04
3rd: Andi James finishing at Clapham South in a time of 02:21:39
=1st: The Orange One finishing at Clapham South in a time of 02:18:59
=1st: Andrew Chilcraft finishing at Clapham South in a time of 02:18:59

The league table for the seasons end looks like this (before deductions):

*1st: The Orange One: 56 points (6 rounds attended)
*2nd: Andrew Chilcraft: 54 points (6)
*3rd: Andi James: 48 points (6)
*4th: Kevin Brown: 41 points (6)
5th: Glen Bryant: 40 points (5)
6th: Damian Cook: 36 points (5)
*7th: Tangy: 26 points (6)
=8th: Matthew Cook: 22 points (3)
=8th: Nick Gardner: 22 points (5)
=10th: Sam Inman: 19 points (5)
=10th: Peter Smyth: 19 points (5)
12th: Andrew Baker: 17 points (5)
13th: Martin Orr: 10 points (1)
14th: Tom Locke: 8 points (2)
15th: Leam Farrar: 9 points (3)
=16th: Aaron Dadd: 7 points (2)
=16th: Richard Martin: 7 points (1)
=16th: Myles Swaine-Gray: 7 points (2)
19th: Adham Fisher: 5 points (1)
20th: Richard Graham: 2 points (1)
=21st: Alex Stares-Tate: 1 point (1)
=21st: Rhys Benjamin: 1 point (1)
=21st: Richard (RJSRdg): 1 point (1)

However, those challengers marked with an * have attended all six rounds, therefore need to deduct their worse score, so the final league table of the 2014/15 season looks like this:

=1st: The Orange One: 50 points (a score of 6 deducted)
=1st: Andrew Chilcraft: 50 points (a score of 4 deducted)
3rd: Andi James: 44 points (a score of 4 deducted)
4th: Glen Bryant: 40 points
5th: Kevin Brown: 37 points (a score of 4 deducted)
6th: Damian Cook: 36 points
7th: Tangy: 26 points (a score of 0 deducted)
=8th: Matthew Cook: 22 points
=8th: Nick Gardner: 22 points
=10th: Sam Inman: 19 points
=10th: Peter Smyth: 19 points
12th: Andrew Baker: 17 points
13th: Martin Orr: 10 points
14th: Tom Locke: 8 points
15th: Leam Farrar: 9 points
=16th: Aaron Dadd: 7 points
=16th: Richard Martin: 7 points
=16th: Myles Swaine-Gray: 7 points
19th: Adham Fisher: 5 points
20th: Richard Graham: 2 points
=21st: Alex Stares-Tate: 1 point
=21st: Rhys Benjamin: 1 point
=21st: Richard (RJSRdg): 1 point

As The Orange One and Andrew Chilcraft were both tied on 50 points each, the number of wins was taken into account to determine the winner. Andrew Chilcraft had 3 wins this season compared to The Orange One's 2, therefore Andrew takes the title for this season.

Thanks everyone for attending and taking part in the Random 15 Championship for this season, albeit for just one round or all six. This season has come to a close but we will be re-starting again in September for the 2015/16 season, fully refreshed.

That is all from me for now.

Tangy
The BERC
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

It was a good championship and good to see new blood coming through to win the prestigious reward congratulations chilcraft and dont worry hugo you get him next year! if there was a train at aldgate east instead of me waiting for 3 minutes this whole championship could have been differant as i would have been on train ahead of hugo and andrew.

I think the site of hugo catching me up there made me make a wrong error but surfice to say it wouldnt have made a jot hopefully killcraft as he shall now be known as will pick a bastard twist round for round 1.

CAN WE AS PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED HAVE PRE DATES FOR RANDOM 15 CHAMPIONSHIP ROUNDS 1-5 AT LEAST as everybody knows when round 6 is.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The dates for the upcoming season will be altered to accommodate the Tube Olympics in 2016, therefore the usual end of may date will be round 5, with round 6 being Tube Olympics date (in July sometime). I don't think even Rio have announced their Olympics schedule yet!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

You sure Round 1 on September 19th is out? Seems like it would be the most convenient date...
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

In effect it is only round 6 is pushed back to July, at least rounds 1-4 will be unaffected and will be held in September, November, January and March respectively.

Tangy.
palkanetoijala31

tangy wrote:The dates for the upcoming season will be altered to accommodate the Tube Olympics in 2016, therefore the usual end of may date will be round 5, with round 6 being Tube Olympics date (in July sometime). I don't think even Rio have announced their Olympics schedule yet!
AT LEAST CAN WE HAVE ROUND 1 AND 2 DATES possibly 3 date thats at least what i was referring too pre planning for people whom are not in london area that can take advantage of cheaper fares stay up later for darts take offers of cheaper accommodation you get more challengers that way turning up for rounds. I have to work glen has to work nozza has to get from cornwall to attend etc with road closures and working sundays for example im having to leave straight after the results to recover.

and can we have the dates of september nov jan and march not just the month! even if u have to do a poll then make a decision!
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

Well done Tangy another good year for the R15 championship, even if I had a miss a few rounds. I believe a BERC election is now triggered and I guess we need a nomination thread followed by a poll.
The King is back! Long live The King!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

And R15 Report:

All started at Sloane Square. As Tangy has brought back the "impossible to open" envelopes, we were all fiddling around in the ticket hall before Andi got his open and ran to the westbound platform. We all copied him. Took the next train, conveniently a Wimbledon to visit West Brompton. Some mind games occurred here, and Andi and tractakid were trying to bait each other onto the WLL service sitting in the platform. We then returned to Earl's Court and all jumped onto an Ealing Broadway service (bar Myles and Richie who were left behind) which took us to Stamford Brook via Barons Court and Hammersmith. Here, some people headed on to Ealing Broadway, others went for a bus to Goldhawk Road and I and a few more returned to Hammersmith. On the Hammersmith run, Andi charged straight across the roundabout and got a load of car horns for his trouble. The rest of us waited, but caught him up in the station.

After the Wood Lane to White City run, we were further cut down to four challengers (Andi, tractakid, Sam and me). Sam and tractakid chose to head to Bank while Andi and I bailed at Oxford Circus for Piccadilly Circus and then Goodge Street. Here I made a stupid mistake, running from Euston to Euston Square instead of Warren Street to Euston Square, which cost me a train. I met up with Kev, Nozza, Glen and Tangy, the first three of which had gone via Ealing Broadway (Tangy had of course plumped for the bus), and we all continued to KCSP, Holloway Road, KCSP, Moorgate via Angel and then to Liverpool Street, where they chose to wait for a H&C. I continued to Aldgate and ran to Aldgate East. There I finally caught up with Andi!

We took the District to Monument, where Andi ran down the Northern Line passage which was, in fact, closed in that direction. I went via the DLR to the Northern Line platforms of Bank, a way which was, blissfully, still open, and after 2 minutes boarded a train to Stockwell, shaking my head at the thought of Andi running down an up escalator.

At Stockwell, I headed up to knock off Vauxhall, and after a 10 second double back discovered tractakid was with me on the southbound service, and with only a cross platform at Stockwell to go, we both finished at Clapham South in a time of 2:18:59.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Advance rail tickets are not sold until 10/12 weeks before departure anyway, so giving you the September date now really won't benefit you much. September 19th doesn't look favourable in my diary- clash with a Scottish railtour.

Some challengers also wish to plan around football fixtures- and these are not published until the middle of June, so I suggest waiting until these are confirmed.

I'd rather have dates where most challengers can attend rather than choosing dates many challengers cannot attend.

Tangy.
palkanetoijala31

tangy wrote:Advance rail tickets are not sold until 10/12 weeks before departure anyway, so giving you the September date now really won't benefit you much. September 19th doesn't look favourable in my diary- clash with a Scottish railtour.

Some challengers also wish to plan around football fixtures- and these are not published until the middle of June, so I suggest waiting until these are confirmed.

I'd rather have dates where most challengers can attend rather than choosing dates many challengers cannot attend.
its more to do with work really and at least by say july we have rounds 1 and 2 dates because the current waiting situation of yourself is not acceptable if u cant make certain dates because of rail or bus tours at least they are published in advance I shall withdraw my participation from the championship next season and to quote yourself London challengers have more opportunity to do!
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

My route:

Sloane Square, West Brompton, Earls Court, Stamford Brook, Hammersmith, run to Hammersmith, Wood Lane, run to White City, Bank, run to Monument, Aldgate East, run to Aldgate, Moorgate, Kings Cross, Holloway Road, Kings Cross, Euston Square, run to Warren Street, Leicester Square, Green Park, Stockwell, Clapham South.

I was with a whole bunch of people at Stamford Brook, which is where the first major split happened. Initially, as we had just missed a District, I went to check out the bus situation, but upon remembering that this wasn't Chiswick Park, there were 10tph rather than just 5, so I decided to go back up to the platform. Trains are visible on the bridge so I knew I hadn't missed one. At Hammersmith, Andi risked an earlier crossing of the road, and didn't gain a train because of it. At White City, I was the last one to board the train, behind Sam, but unfortunately Leam was left on the platform. I was in a dilemma about which way to head to Aldgate East. I hadn't considered Hugo's option of heading to Piccadilly Circus first, but didn't know if I should run to Monument or risk the 6tph H&C service from Liverpool Street, knowing that if I got an Aldgate service, I'd then have to run to Aldgate East and risk the H&C in the other direction! In the end, at Monument, I had a good connection onto a Barking terminator. I did make a mistake though, after just missing a H&C, failing to immediately run to Aldgate. Brain went dead for a second before I then thought to dash! At Aldgate, another error! The boards said 1 minute for a Met to Amersham, but I failed to notice the Circle from the other island platform which left first! I didn't imagine that a train in 1 minute's time wasn't the first to leave! I saw Andi at Kings Cross on the Southbound Northern, I later found out he was ahead of Hugo at this point. I still get very confused at Kings Cross, since the closure of some passageways. I ended up running along some corridors... I really should spend a good hour or two sometime figuring it all out. It cost me in round 5! An annoying 3 minute wait at Warren Street was the last annoyance, and by the time I got to Vauxhall, there was Hugo, in the next carriage. He spotted me, then we both hopped on the Northern to tie to finish.

The R15 scoring system benefited me here, as I claimed victory in this year's championship. My inconsistency, having a worse round to drop than Hugo, allowed me to catch up with him on points, and then my 3 victories broke the tie.

I had a very good day on Saturday, setting a 5k PB at Southwark parkrun, winning the R15 round and championship, and then getting a few checkouts in the darts. To top it all off, I was able to take a nice walk to Euston, finding out the platform for my train before it was announced to the hordes, and finding my seat on the train at least 10 minutes before anyone else joined!

I have a good idea on the twist for the first round, but you'll have to wait a little while before I confirm :)

Thanks to Tangy for being a great BERC, & everyone else for competing. It was a fun championship!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

Like many others I set off to West Brompton then headed out to Stamford Brook. I then decided to get on a bus along with tangy. We both made it to Shepherd's Bush and then headed to White City.

From there my initial intention was to go via Liverpool Street to Aldgate East. However, as the train pulled into Bank I made a slightly mad decision to run from there all the way to Aldgate East. This may have been partly influenced by that route being an old haunt of mine. I often used to travel on the Drain from Waterloo to Bank and then walk to an office near Aldgate station.

Anyway, I made the run to Aldgate East in about 8 minutes only to have to wait 8 more minutes for an H&C back to Moorgate -- I could have just walked there! From this point I followed the route that tractakid took. However, I got stuck in the crowds at KXSP (I too need to figure out that station) and then got completely lost trying to find the Piccadilly line at Leicester Square, going up and down the stairs twice before realising I needed to exit via the end of a Northern line platform.

I saw a mouse on the platform at Stockwell, telling it that it needed to get at least to Kennington!

My final train took me to Clapham South.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

DrainBrain wrote:I saw a mouse on the platform at Stockwell, telling it that it needed to get at least to Kennington!
I hope you reminded it to go to Euston Square :lol: and that it's faster to run from Warren Street than Euston!