The Victoria line challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
The Orange One
All Zones

Re: The Victoria line challenge

Post by The Orange One »

It's good you rode the full Northern City Line! It really is something special.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

This is the challenge that reaches the parts other challenges don't reach :)
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

It certainly does! What an afternoon, and thanks for the very comprehensive write-up, Guy. I won't need to say too much myself now!

As I was at Liverpool St station to meet with the Z1-challengers, I made the decision to pop into the information office and pick up some timetables to help us in the latter stages of the non-Victoria Line challenge. This decision proved invaluable later in the day! Then it was off to London Bridge with the Z1-ers, and just before they started their challenge, I left them, and headed to meet Guy at Pimlico.

Trying to meet Guy when we'd never met before was a challenge in itself. However, I thought he'd recognise me from my performance of Underground Can-Can on YouTube. Shame it was cold and I was wearing a hat, then! Fortunately I’d previously done a little detective research, and had a vague idea of who I was looking for. This proved to be very useful, as I actually accosted the correct passer-by first time!

Within two minutes, the clock had started, and we were away. Guy’s excellent write-up describes most of the events of the afternoon. Just one or two things I ought to add, though.

The disorientation at Stockwell really threw me – totally my fault. I suddenly found myself 180 degrees out from where I was expecting. I was so confused that I nearly had an altercation with a bus travelling at fair speed. Fortunately I heard Guy say ‘look out!’, so I did. Not sure what would have happened had I not looked out, but the bus might have come off slightly better than me. This is one of those events which people doing mad challenges such as we do should learn from!

Ah yes, and the helpful passenger on the bus to Bruce Grove. Not sure how many Tube Challengers come across this kind of episode on a challenge! A very crowded bus, which was even delayed due to passengers not ‘moving down the bus’ when asked. And that made getting off pretty tricky. But on discussing that we were aiming for Bruce Grove station, a helpful lady made sure she would show us where to get off. Never mind the fact the bus stop was past the station and required walking back to. We really wanted to get off the stop before and walk for it, but she kind of, er, wouldn’t let us without making us feel guilty…. So we stayed on until she, er, ‘let us off’! Fortunately we just made it in time for the desired train.

Our final time, (from bus-doors-close at Pimlico to foot-on-platform at Walthamstow Central) was 3h 42m 32s. A very enjoyable afternoon; thanks for suggesting it, Guy. It’s not the fastest time for this challenge, but hey; who cares when there’s an excellent pub nearby?!
Last edited by RobbieM on 01 Jun 2015, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

RobbieM wrote:It certainly does! What an afternoon, and thanks for the very comprehensive write-up, Guy. I won't need to say too much myself now!

As I was at Liverpool St station to meet with the Z1-challengers, I made the decision to pop into the information office and pick up some timetables to help us in the latter stages of the non-Victoria Line challenge. This decision proved invaluable later in the day!
I'm really glad you did. I'd have been completely lost otherwise.
Theen it was off to London Bridge with the Z1-ers, and just before they started their challenge, I left them, and headed to meet Guy at Pimlico.

Trying to meet Guy when we'd never met before was a challenge in itself. However, I thought he'd recognise me from my performance of Underground Can-Can on YouTube. Shame it was cold and I was wearing a hat, then! Fortunately I’d previously done a little detective research, and had a vague idea of who I was looking for. This proved to be very useful, as I actually accosted the correct passer-by first time!
How did you know?
Within two minutes, the clock had started, and we were away. Guy’s excellent write-up describes most of the events of the afternoon. Just one or two things I ought to add, though.
I'm intrigued - if we'd chosen to walk from Pimlico to Vauxhall (which I think would have been quicker), when would the clock have started?
The disorientation at Stockwell really threw me – totally my fault. I suddenly found myself 180 degrees out from where I was expecting. I was so confused that I nearly had an altercation with a bus travelling at fair speed. Fortunately I heard Guy say ‘look out!’, so I did. Not sure what would have happened had I not looked out, but the bus might have come off slightly better than me. This is one of those events which people doing mad challenges such as we do should learn from!
Yes - however quickly people are obsessed with completing challenges, road safety is of paramount importance. I hope everyone here appreciates this as I would never want anyone to be put in any danger.
Ah yes, and the helpful passenger on the bus to Bruce Grove. Not sure how many Tube Challengers come across this kind of episode on a challenge! A very crowded bus, which was even delayed due to passengers not ‘moving down the bus’ when asked. And that made getting off pretty tricky. But on discussing that we were aiming for Bruce Grove station, a helpful lady made sure she would show us where to get off. Never mind the fact the bus stop was past the station and required walking back to. We really wanted to get off the stop before and walk for it, but she kind of, er, wouldn’t let us without making us feel guilty…. So we stayed on until she, er, ‘let us off’! Fortunately we just made it in time for the desired train.
Weird one that! I had to push past a number of passengers to get off the bus. Probably a bit rude but some of them were wearing headphones (a particular annoyance of mine).
Our final time, (from bus-doors-close at Pimlico to foot-on-platform at Walthamstow Central) was 3h 42m 32s. A very enjoyable afternoon; thanks for suggesting it, Guy. It’s not the fastest time for this challenge, but hey; who care’s when there’s an excellent pub nearby?!
Indeed. I'm thinking of a followup attempt!

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

GuyBarry wrote:
I'm intrigued - if we'd chosen to walk from Pimlico to Vauxhall (which I think would have been quicker), when would the clock have started?
I did not arrive at Pimlico (which was my finishing station instead of my starting station) on a bus by the station, but instead on the 185 on nearby Vauxhall Bridge Road and ran. I put my finishing time by when I touched the barriers inside the station. I think perhaps I should set a definite rule on an on-foot start here - can I clarify that this does not invalidate any earlier attempts!

How about you have to start at the centre of this rather distinctive roundel? Apart from other things, it's probably the nicest part of Pimlico. Proper Pimlico, this is, not the Tate Britain which doesn't really count. I suppose the basement of the public library is quite expansive too, and there's a street market if you like street markets.
Yes - however quickly people are obsessed with completing challenges, road safety is of paramount importance. I hope everyone here appreciates this as I would never want anyone to be put in any danger.
Ahem Andi on the Hammersmith Gyratory!
Our final time, (from bus-doors-close at Pimlico to foot-on-platform at Walthamstow Central) was 3h 42m 32s. A very enjoyable afternoon; thanks for suggesting it, Guy. It’s not the fastest time for this challenge, but hey; who care’s when there’s an excellent pub nearby?!
Indeed. I'm thinking of a followup attempt!
If trying to timetable this, I'd start at the Walthamstow end and see what you can do with the unreliable Greater Anglia trains - there is a new bridge between Hackney Downs and Hackney Central on its way, which will almost certainly be complete by next year, so if you sorted out the timings you could shuffle from Highbury and Islington across to Hackney Central and pick up a nice GA train from Hackney Downs to Tottenham Hale. Of course, that would mean missing out on the delights of the southern Northern City Line and the Stansted Express. Your call of course.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

GuyBarry wrote:
RobbieM wrote:Trying to meet Guy when we'd never met before was a challenge in itself. However, I thought he'd recognise me from my performance of Underground Can-Can on YouTube. Shame it was cold and I was wearing a hat, then! Fortunately I’d previously done a little detective research, and had a vague idea of who I was looking for. This proved to be very useful, as I actually accosted the correct passer-by first time!
How did you know?
Search engines are wonderful things! http://alt-usage-english.org/boink_apr15/index.html
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Ahem Andi on the Hammersmith Gyratory!

that car was no where near me i should mention that i have never been hit yet unlike mr scrxisi
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I'd like to add a couple of other things:

Always take still water rather than sparkling. I opened a bottle at one of the tube stations (was it Holborn?) and inadvertently sprayed a passenger waiting on the platform.

Also, get rid of your rubbish before you start. I had a bag of empties with me when I got off the coach at Victoria and didn't get a chance to dump it until Finsbury Park. I'd rather go round unencumbered next time!