Random 15 Championship 2014/15: Round 5

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
palkanetoijala31

Re: Random 15 Championship 2014/15: Round 5

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

nozzacook wrote:Any objections
me no kidding i love to do the job but it depends on election and do we need a new BERC results please NOW!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Just spent the day with our current BERC at Watford, he has the results somewhere at home and will post once located...

Also we will be starting 2015-16 season in August to get a more even spread of dates....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
palkanetoijala31

well i chip in with my route for 2nd place (results still not up but yes i was 2nd)

being delayed by a stupid overground train from clapham junction i literally had to run down the escalators at euston in order to catch everybody up i started 42secs later than everyone else this was confirmed by a few people in light of this i think i did quite well as i was terribly unprepared.

starting off headed for caledonian rd and ran for the first time to caledonian rd and barnsbury i should have done highbury and islington but if u dont know the way and no map i was content to go for the straighter route.

so sticking with a few others i got out at stratford on the wrong side of train and still made the connection to jubilee faster saw chilcraft go too far (geoffs app is wrong for west ham connection i presume) my trick didnt work i sometimes go up the c2c to see which direction the train is going then walk or run this time i should have just gone straight up never mind went into town with the others to liverpool street.

Changed on to central and holborn for long slog down to hammersmith with the funny incident of the train next to us catching a pigeon when the doors closed (catch the pigeon catch the pigeon catch the pigeon stop that pigeon now!) and doubled back goldhawk road despite a slow chilcraft not realising another train was coming after we had just missed one.

So going down to east putney and opening the envelope a few challengers were still with each other.

I got myself in a door position where i could go through the unused gate just in case the overground was there saw it was going to be tight and at the last second went for it to clapham junction along with the shadows of chilcraft and sam.

having to go to platform 11 instead of 3 for vauxhall managed to get rid of my shadows as they came down to the victoria line platofrms with me giving them the finger as i left very glad but typically i had a wait at stockwell so they caught me up cahnging at kennington for waterloo i ran down the entire length to the jubilee line platofrms down the travelator and got asked if i was doing the tube challenge (i really thought i had lost my shadows at this point for a while but i hadnt they were at differant part of train i couldnt see) so a nice ride up to st johns wood with me being interviewed by these three kids doing a work expierance on the london underground that must be a first an interview on a random 15.

swapping platform at st johns wood realised my shadows were still there so we had the same two stations left edgware rd bak and old street no losing them at edgware rd so coming back down nearly lost them at baker street just missed due to overcrowding on met platforms i went to h&c platform and got myself in nice door for kings cross.

I knew i had to get rid of chilcraft for championship hopes and i sprinted off this time he was not going to catch me giving that kings cross is no longer easy connection to northern line platforms i did try the lift first but lift not there or close so i went down the piccadilly line escalator and ran the corrdor to the northern train came in didnt see them thought have i finally got rid of them went to bank checked the whole train didnt see them and walked from holborn to tcr thinking i knew i didnt see them db or something strange confirmed he was 2 mins later after all.
palkanetoijala31

Going Underground wrote:Just spent the day with our current BERC at Watford, he has the results somewhere at home and will post once located...

Also we will be starting 2015-16 season in August to get a more even spread of dates....
can we have a dates list n advance that would be well better!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:well i chip in with my route for 2nd place (results still not up but yes i was 2nd)

i started 42secs later
Well, yes and no. I was still in the passageway several minutes after the start time trying to find the stations on the map!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

As some of you have seen on the Facebook Random 15 group, I am currently running a consultation about changing the start of the season to August rather than September.

For those of you not on the Facebook group, here is the proposal:
Basically what would be your views in starting round 1 in August (rather than September). This would give a more even 2 month gap between each event, rather than as in the last couple of seasons trying to squeeze in round 5 into the timetable.

Therefore Random 15 challenges would be held in August, October, December, February, April and late May/early June.
I would like to have your thoughts. I do appreciate that August is traditionally a month for jetting off due to the school holidays but still would like your views as to whether this is workable or not.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

As I said on the group, I think early September (as in first Saturday of the month) should work best, so we don't need to either work around holidays or have poor attendance. As the final round is a fixed time of year, so should the first.

As for my route:

Heuston :arrow: King's Cross St. Pancrap (by Vic) :arrow: Caledonian Roar (by Pic) :arrow: King's Crops St. Pancreas (by Pic) :arrow: Liverpool Straight (by Met) :arrow: Myles End (by Cen) :arrow: Bramley-by-Bow (by Dis) :arrow: Manument (by Dis) :arrow: Blank (by foot) :arrow: Holeburn (by Cen) :arrow: Hammerschmidt (by Pic) :arrow: Goldhawk Ride (by Cir) :arrow: Hamstersmith (by H&C) :arrow: Earl's Kurt (by Dis) :arrow: East Putknee (by Dis)

Open envelope 2

East Puntey :arrow: Earl's Cut (by Dis) :arrow: High Street Kennington (by Olympia train) :arrow: Padingtun (by Dis) :arrow: Baker Treat (by Bak) :arrow: St. John's Word (by Jub) :arrow: Waterlove (by Jub) :arrow: Waterloom NR (by escalator) :arrow: Voksal NR (by SWT) :arrow: Vauxhail (by foot) :arrow: Stuckwell (by Vic) :arrow: Old Strait (by Nor)

Upon opening the envelope (very happy to see Tangy has finally got envelopes that don't require much time-consuming tearing), it was Caledonian Road that jumped out. Well, no it wasn't because I opened the envelope, it was because Sam was giving a running commentary on the contents of envelope 1, and I rushed for the escalators, knowing that it didn't matter which platforms I went for, as long as they weren't the Charing Cross branch ones. I duly found myself on the Northbound platforms, so jumped straight onto the waiting Victoria Line train, alone. I got off at KCSP and ran over the top and down to the Piccadilly, where a 2 minute wait meant the Northern Line taking Peter Smyth caught up and we did the doubleback, which was more or less immediate. After this we both went for the Met, but after that, separated as he continued to Aldgate for the Aldgate East run. I had waiting Districts at Mile End and BbB, which was nice

Then, disaster struck - I took the stopwatch out to have a look and it had stopped; maybe I had nudged the button by accident. I resumed the stopwatch immediately and resolved to find another tube challenger. To compound my troubles, I then had to take the sardine can Central Line to get Chancery Lane. A switch to the Piccadilly at Holborn for the long ride to Hammersmith, during which a couple alternated between making eyes at each other and glaring at me (the man was forced to sit next to me and the woman opposite him). Took a train from my favourite platform (2, the only one I ever use) at Hammersmith CHC and somehow managed to come back in there on the return run. Then, the second disastrophe struck - my travelcard failed!! The nice man let me out and the other nice man let me back in at Hammersmith DP just in time to jump onto the waiting District below. Went to Earl's Court, then took a still reasonably empty train to East Putney, during which journey the driver took a 10mph bend at around 30mph and subsequently nearly pitched us into the Thames! Sure, none of you would be able to complete (seeing as I was probably first in the area) but I would have been dead, which is worse. I opened the second envelope at East Putney, which was to decide whether I headed north again or towards Putney for SWT.

West Brompton was there, so north it was, and though I was on a City bound train, I decided to head for Edgware Road Bakerloo first. I took a nearly empty ex-Olympia shuttle to HSK Platform 3, a piece of track I'd somehow not got, but was unable to get hold of a Circle so District it was to Paddington. Short run down the Bakerloo to Baker Street where I made the Jubilee line by the skin of my teeth. The Reading fans onboard all cheered me. I switched over at SJW and took a happy ride down to Waterloo for a mainline train. Upon surfacing at Waterloo, disaster 2 was averted as my travel card had somehow mended itself, but disaster 3 struck! No information boards whatsoever! I ran to the platforms 8, 9, 10 and 11 barriers, and they said the next Vauxhall train was somewhere to the left. I then ran to the platforms 1, 2, 3, 4 guy, who told me to go to platform 1. The guard on Platform 1 told me Platform 2 was going first, and that was the truth, too! Yet another train made in the nick of time. Got off at Vauxhall, ran underground and took the Vic to Stockwell. At Stockwell, I was extremely lucky to bump into A2 and Nick, who both gave me a time correction of exactly 15 minutes, and I recorded a final time of 03:09:something - I told Tangy - much to the annoyance of Nick, who still had a few stations left then. I wandered down to TCR, got a snack and settled down to wait for everyone else.

In short, I didn't really do anything different from you; I just had better luck.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

My reply copied from Facebook group.

No poles but make consideration for things like Sept 18th Canon Street Run, Nov13th (Likely date for) CiN and sports relief which is Friday 18th March as challengers are likely to be up for these and it's easy to stay over for Saturday R15.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
palkanetoijala31

nozzacook wrote:My reply copied from Facebook group.

No poles but make consideration for things like Sept 18th Canon Street Run, Nov13th (Likely date for) CiN and sports relief which is Friday 18th March as challengers are likely to be up for these and it's easy to stay over for Saturday R15.
also copied u racist!
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:

also copied u racist!
Ok no Finns as well. :)
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I think that is part of the problem. You can tie them up with other events, or have them evenly spaced but you can't do both.

eg CIN date is too early for round 3, and if it is round 2 then it is difficult to squeeze in another round before Christmas.

An evenly spaced calendar would look something like

05 Sept
24 Oct
19 Dec
13 Feb
09 Apr
04 Jun
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Does it really matter if they are not exactly spaced out.... No not really so you might have a 4 or 5 week gap every so often....

Does it really matter if they tie in with other Friday events as mentioned above... Yes I would say that is very important, not for us living an hour from Central London but for those travelling longer distances we must consider the cost implications.....

My view would be to defintely try and tie them up with Cannon Street Run and CiN... 2016 as mentioned is Sports relief and we have only ever gone out once and that was on a Saturday anyway so I would't worry about that date until March 2017 when Comic Relief returns!!
Last edited by Going Underground on 27 Apr 2015, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
palkanetoijala31

WELL I THINK ITS A GOOD IDEA and it shows the BERC willingness to make changes for next year whether they tie up with events or not I don't care as long as get advanced notice!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Let's have a list of other events, then!

September 19th - Saturday after Cannon Street Run
November 14th - Saturday after Children in Need
March 19th - Saturday after Sports Relief
May 28th - Saturday after Zone 1 Day 2016

And then stick in:

January 9th/16th/23rd - mid way between November and March
July 9th/16th/23rd - part of Tube Olympics 2016

to have a calendar of:
September 19th
November 14th
January date tbc
March 19th
May 28th
July date tbc

If you make Round 6 in July next year to tie in with the Tube Olympics 2016, which I am guessing will be in July before the other Olympics, following the example of Tube Olympics 2008 and 2012, making the traditional May round Round 5 instead, you have a nicely spread calendar.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

That sounds like an excellent idea to me.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver