Random 15 Twist - Split Up

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
The Orange One
All Zones

Random 15 Twist - Split Up

Post by The Orange One »

The first remotely 'Tube Challenge-like' event I took part in was very loosely based on the Random 15 style (though I'm almost certain it wasn't inspired by the challengers here) to raise money for Imbasa School in South Africa - it was an event put on by the school. Six random stations starting with the letters I, M, B, A, S and A were picked. It was a shock to find upon opening the envelopes, that they'd cheated with I, not giving us the Ickenham we'd all planned for, but instead provided us with Highbury and Islington.

I'm rambling here, so I'll get to the point, and leave the gory details on my challenge attempts thread. Upon my return to school, having pulled off several clever gambits and having lost my teammate on the way (he threw up upon surfacing at Warren Street, leaving me to head to the finish line alone), I was dismayed to find I'd come eighth or something out of the fifteen teams, because the teacher who made the rules had forgotten to close a loophole about the team staying together, meaning your team could split up, and most teams had divided and conquered.

The point is, perhaps as a Random 15 twist, we are all paired off (we have to have substantial attendance, I suppose, but after last round, it's quite possible we'll have the numbers), and a bunch of stations across all nine zones are given to us. When the clock starts, we split them up between us, go and finish them off separately, and then get to a fixed finishing station, where the first person to arrive waits for the second. The clock stops when the team is reunited - when the second challenger to arrive has stopped the clock.

This has the secrecy-related disadvantages of a fixed finish point, I suppose, but apart from that, what do you think?
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Re: Random 15 Twist - Split Up

Post by A Challenge »

It is a good idea to think about though I am not sure it will work.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000