DLR challenge 2015

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
geofftech
All Zones

DLR challenge 2015

Post by geofftech »

DLR fans take note : the DLR off-peak service pattern is changing at off tomorrow (2nd Feb), and by my rough calculations as there are now more trains on the Woolwich Arsenal branch, it might just be possible to get one train up and a little faster... I know it's probably best done in the peak, but with less commuters around OFF peak, it made me wonder.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/dlr/we-re-improving-the-dlr
palkanetoijala31

Re: DLR challenge 2015

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

here goes hugo and glen battle part 2
leamfarrar
Zone 3

Post by leamfarrar »

I'd be up for giving a DLR challenge a go now with the improved services. We are talking about it on the weekends? since that's the only time I would be able to get down to London and give it a shot (or during school holidays)
Leam Mark Farrar
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

We don't have anything organised for the DLR (at least not until 2016 and the Tube Olympics) so do it when you want! I got my DLR record early on a Saturday morning.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Yes, it doesn't have to be at a planned meet up for a certain challenge (bar Random 15), you can do any of the Alternative Challenges any day/time when the challenge is possible to complete (i.e. clear of engineering works).

You can email me (use the link below) the time taken and the route you took (to verify all stations were indeed visited) and I will put it up on the Top Times league tables at http://www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
leamfarrar
Zone 3

Post by leamfarrar »

tangy wrote:Yes, it doesn't have to be at a planned meet up for a certain challenge (bar Random 15), you can do any of the Alternative Challenges any day/time when the challenge is possible to complete (i.e. clear of engineering works).

You can email me (use the link below) the time taken and the route you took (to verify all stations were indeed visited) and I will put it up on the Top Times league tables at http://www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge
I'm doing the challenge on Wednesday afternoon after I visit Madame Tussauds. Won't be a record, but at least a base to work on and to get me involved :)
Leam Mark Farrar
leamfarrar
Zone 3

Post by leamfarrar »

Well; I did it! Not the best time, but its a start for me to go on. I wrote down each new station I stopped at on my phone while I was going around. From my timing, I achieved a time of 2hr 50min, so no record; but I'm happy with my attempt, since it was the first one I did overall and was something that was achievable during the day. I didn't get held up anywhere and the whole time I was on the DLR, there wasn't any delays. Here is what I got:

2:10 to Woolwich Arsenal
2:10 Bank
2:15 Shadwell
2:17 Limehouse
2:19 Westferry
2:21 Poplar
2:23 Blackwell
2:24 East India
2:27 Canning Town
2:29 West Silvertown
2:31 Pontoon Dock
2:33 London City Airport
2:35 King George V
2:39 Woolwich Arsenal

2:40 to Bank (alighting at Poplar, no stations collected). Arrived at Poplar at 2:58

2:59 to Canary Wharf
3:01 West India Quay
3:02 Canary Wharf

3:05 to Lewisham
3:06 Heron Quays
3:08 South Quay
3:10 Crossharbour
3:12 Mudchute
3:13 Island Gardens
3:14 Cutty Sark
3:16 Greenwich
3:18 Deptford Bridge
3:19 Elverson Road
3:21 Lewisham

3:22 to Bank (alighting at Canary Wharf, no stations collected). Arrived at Canary Wharf at 3:39

3:41 to Stratford
3:45 All Saints
3:46 Langdon Park
3:48 Devons Road
3:50 Bow Church
3:51 Pudding Mill Lane
3:54 Stratford

3:57 to Stratford International
4:00 Stratford International

4:05 to Woolwich Arsenal (alighting at Canning Town)
4:08 Stratford High Street
4:09 Abbey Road
4:11 West Ham
4:12 Star Lane
changed at Canning Town

4:21 to Beckton
4:22 Royal Victoria
4:24 Custom House for ExCel
4:26 Prince Regent
4:28 Royal Albert
4:29 Beckton Park
4:30 Cyprus
4:32 Gallions Reach
4:35 Beckton

4:36 to Tower Gateway
5:05 Tower Gateway
Leam Mark Farrar
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Congratulations on your first London challenge!

A better move would probably be to have started at Shadwell, taking a train to Tower Gateway at the start, then a Circle/District line train from Tower Hill to Monument/Bank to pick up your Woolwich Arsenal. It would have added a little time to the start of your challenge, but would have cut half an hour off the end.

You are allowed to leave the network! In fact, with the long history of competing rail companies, while London's rail lines might not be as well connected as in other cities, many of the stations are very close together. Also, we have a comprehensive bus network with 546 different routes, so probably in London, more than anywhere else in the world, you are better off leaving the network every now and then.

You also missed a popular out of station connection between two of the branches, which is usually done on foot, but can alternatively be done on a bus. This particular connection usually shaves quite a bit of time off a DLR Challenge.

Also, if you are free on Saturday 14th March, there is another Random 15, which are always fun.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
leamfarrar
Zone 3

Post by leamfarrar »

The Orange One wrote:Congratulations on your first London challenge!

A better move would probably be to have started at Shadwell, taking a train to Tower Gateway at the start, then a Circle/District line train from Tower Hill to Monument/Bank to pick up your Woolwich Arsenal. It would have added a little time to the start of your challenge, but would have cut half an hour off the end.

You are allowed to leave the network! In fact, with the long history of competing rail companies, while London's rail lines might not be as well connected as in other cities, many of the stations are very close together. Also, we have a comprehensive bus network with 546 different routes, so probably in London, more than anywhere else in the world, you are better off leaving the network every now and then.

You also missed a popular out of station connection between two of the branches, which is usually done on foot, but can alternatively be done on a bus. This particular connection usually shaves quite a bit of time off a DLR Challenge.

Also, if you are free on Saturday 14th March, there is another Random 15, which are always fun.
Thanks for that. I was going to edit my post and ask for any suggestions. I wasn't aware you could go out of the network :) that might make my next attempt a little bit later on while I'm here. I should be all good for the 14th March. I'll head down and head back up to Lowestoft on a late train, so I'll be joining in :)
Leam Mark Farrar