Whole tube map challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Deanmrb
Zone 1

Re: Whole tube map challenge

Post by Deanmrb »

So, going back to my original plan of doing all tube, LO, DLR and EAL stations over two days. Would I be right in counting West Hampstead twice as the LO and tube stations are on opposite sides of the road with no connection to each other?

Also, does anyone know of any other Stations on the tube, LO or DLR that would need to be done twice (apart from the known tube ones of Edgware Rd, Paddington and Hammersmith?)
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Canary Wharf (LU+DLR), Shadwell (LO+DLR) and Shepherd's Bush (LU+LO) would all be considered as two stations.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Deanmrb
Zone 1

Post by Deanmrb »

greatkingrat wrote:Canary Wharf (LU+DLR), Shadwell (LO+DLR) and Shepherd's Bush (LU+LO) would all be considered as two stations.
Thanks! May have to slightly adjust my route in that case!
Peter
Zone 1

Post by Peter »

With all night tube running starting in September are you thinking of a Friday - Saturday marathon all stations challenge?
From the lines operating all night I reckon there are 3 to 4 hours of useful travelling you could do, just about bridging the gap until the first trains on Saturday start running.
You could start mid morning on Friday and finish soon after lunchtime on Saturday, assuming a total time of 26-27 hours. You'd be knackered however!
Deanmrb
Zone 1

Post by Deanmrb »

Peter wrote:With all night tube running starting in September are you thinking of a Friday - Saturday marathon all stations challenge?
From the lines operating all night I reckon there are 3 to 4 hours of useful travelling you could do, just about bridging the gap until the first trains on Saturday start running.
You could start mid morning on Friday and finish soon after lunchtime on Saturday, assuming a total time of 26-27 hours. You'd be knackered however!
I wasn't, I'm not sure how easy it would be to plan a route for those few hours when only five lines would be operating, and even then I don't think its the whole line that's running. Also Fri-Sat would raise the problem of weekend line closures.
I was planning to do it in March or April as the LO will expand by 20 odd stations at the end of May making it even harder!!
Peter
Zone 1

Post by Peter »

You've got me thinking. Sensibly you could do at night the Edgware-Stanmore run, the whole of the Jubilee line, Central Line Ealing Broadway to Stratford, Piccadilly Acton Town to Kings X, and the whole of the Victoria.
Any lines closed on Saturday could be completed on Friday.
And best of all you'd be guaranteed a completion!

How many stations are there in all on the map?
Deanmrb
Zone 1

Post by Deanmrb »

Peter wrote:You've got me thinking. Sensibly you could do at night the Edgware-Stanmore run, the whole of the Jubilee line, Central Line Ealing Broadway to Stratford, Piccadilly Acton Town to Kings X, and the whole of the Victoria.

375, including those stations that need to be done twice like Paddington etc
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Deanmrb wrote:
Peter wrote:You've got me thinking. Sensibly you could do at night the Edgware-Stanmore run, the whole of the Jubilee line, Central Line Ealing Broadway to Stratford, Piccadilly Acton Town to Kings X, and the whole of the Victoria.

375, including those stations that need to be done twice like Paddington etc
i would think this would be more interesting with all the stations involved between zones 1-9 there are some crazy runs that u can do with the overground.
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

greatkingrat wrote:I think the rule is they only show services that are likely to actually be useful to people, not services that are only run for operational convenience.

If Olympia was only served by the six trains early in the morning, it probably wouldn't be on the tube map at all. It is only there because of the regular weekend services that run.
The regular Weekend services won't be much use for this as it would need to be done during the week (or would it?) as you need early and late trains on the first day and early trains (but probably not late trains) on the second day.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Could be of some use if you did it Friday/Saturday and postponed Olympia to Saturday morning. Also, one needs to consider the Battersea Park dilemma, because that restricts your Friday routes. But then it's not on the map...
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

If this is the whole tube map challenge, then Olympia is not a problem as you simply visit it on the Overground.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

The Orange One wrote:Could be of some use if you did it Friday/Saturday and postponed Olympia to Saturday morning. Also, one needs to consider the Battersea Park dilemma, because that restricts your Friday routes. But then it's not on the map...
In my view, Battersea Park wouldn't really count but there's a Southern service that you could take anyway.
greatkingrat wrote:If this is the whole tube map challenge, then Olympia is not a problem as you simply visit it on the Overground.
Considering both you could do this like this:
Kensington (Olympia) Overground :arrow: Clapham Junction Southern :arrow: Battersea Park Southern :arrow: Clapham Junction Overground :arrow: Surrey Quays Overground :arrow: New Cross Run :arrow: New Cross Gate Overground/Southern (Shared Rails) :arrow: Crystal Palace Run :arrow: Arnely Overground :arrow: West Croydon Tramlink :arrow: East Croydon Thameslink :arrow: Blackfriars.

Though this is only an example

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

A Challenge wrote:In my view, Battersea Park wouldn't really count but there's a Southern service that you could take anyway.
No, the Southern service wouldn't count. It goes from Clapham Junction so it doesn't meet the "same rails" criteria. You have to take a service from Wandsworth Road to Battersea Park (or vice versa) and the only service that does that directly is the Overground.

However, I'd also leave Battersea Park out and work to the map only.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

DrainBrain wrote:
A Challenge wrote:In my view, Battersea Park wouldn't really count but there's a Southern service that you could take anyway.
No, the Southern service wouldn't count. It goes from Clapham Junction so it doesn't meet the "same rails" criteria. You have to take a service from Wandsworth Road to Battersea Park (or vice versa) and the only service that does that directly is the Overground.

However, I'd also leave Battersea Park out and work to the map only.
I did say that I didn't think it counted anyway:
As I said in the quote, I don't think it would count as it isn't on the map anyway though if your train happens to go there then it might be a separate record perhaps...

Deanmrb
Zone 1

Post by Deanmrb »

So, my new plan is to do the entire map, i.e. Tube, DLR, Overground, TfL Rail and EAL. Thinking of doing it after September and starting Friday going right through the night using the Night Tube and finishing some time on Saturday.

Any thoughts? Is this even possible?

Dean