Random 15 Championship 2014/15: Round 2

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: Random 15 Championship 2014/15: Round 2

Post by greatkingrat »

Going Underground wrote:Morning all... I would just like to apologise for my outbursts and rudeness in the pub after the R15 yesterday.....
I am sorry if I offended anyone and it was not acceptable to kick off like that and I am sure it was just down to mental and physical tiredness and lack of sleep over the last couple of days......

Sorry to you all for my behaviour :oops:
Indeed, after the way you smashed the dartboard over the barman's head, I doubt we'll ever be allowed back.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Tangy? Any results?
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

while he is doing that i share my route that i can remember after the stations were drawn i heading straight southbound northern to kennington following most teams that seemed to have the same ideas.

heading to vauxhall and managing to make a train differant to some people i thought my run from putney to e putney might lose a few people no such luck.

so all back together i got into door position for west brompton just in case train was delayed there but no it wasnt so coasted into earls court and door position for turnham green.

a dash through at hammersmith got me safely onto train and unfortunately again didnt get rid of anybody else. but getting out of edgware rd following hugo i managed to get across road and sprinted into edgware rd bakerloo hammering down the stairs onto a waiting bakerloo train i thought can i get rid of them all yes! with hugo marrow slamming his face into train and obviously annoyed! so knowing i was a train up i took it down to oxford circus and across to central for tcr then up to goodge street.

taking the vic from warren street up i decided not to change again for arsenal but instead di on way back down from finsbury park switched to northern at kings x then made my way to london bridge for north greenwich i didnt see anybody get out the other way so thought i had won was proved right by 3 mins.
Capelblue
Zone 1

Post by Capelblue »

Hello, out of interest, what were the 15 stations, and what was the best time ? Ta
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Probably best answered by Tangy, who has to do his customary league table, but I'll disclose my route.

Upon opening the stations I clattered down to the southbound Northern platform, along with practically everyone else, and we all went to Kennington, where Tangy and some others vanished north. The rest of us all went south to Stockwell and then north to Vauxhall, where we all headed for SWT to Putney. Me, Andi, Peter and Andrew Chilcraft all made an earlier stopping service, while a number of others did not make this and followed behind on a "semi-fast-ish" which skips QRB and Wandsworth Town. Somebody went for Wimbledon at this point, and was never seen again, I think.

Upon reaching East Putney (Andi was first to arrive), there was no train for 3 minutes, allowing everyone, I think, to catch up. I checked the possibility of a Tottenham Hale to Stratford service, which I have found useful before, but I couldn't find train times - I think it was not running. We all then headed over to a Westbound District Line service at Earl's Court to take us to Turnham Green, where we waited for a very long time to return to Hammersmith (we didn't really have a sensible alternative), and all rushed over to the other Hammersmith, and boarded a Hammersmith and City line train to Edgware Road.

We all ran to the Bakerloo line Edgware Road. Andi ran far enough ahead that I saw no sign of him when I reached the station, and when the lifts seemed to be at the bottom of the shafts I asked Peter where he was. Peter said that he had probably taken the stairs, and then - finally - showed me where the elusive staircase was. Unfortunately, while taking the spiral staircase three or four at a time got me several seconds ahead of everyone else, it was not good enough to make Andi's train, and I did indeed smash into the doors. Hey - it has worked on Bakerloo line trains many times in the past, why not this time? This allowed everyone to catch up, and I pointed at the departing "Queens Park" blind and informed them that Andi was there.

We all remained together until Tottenham Court Road, where everyone else picked a different carriage to me - they had all chosen to change at Warren Street for the Victoria, while I went for Euston. I don't know whether I made the better choice, but I was able to make the switch in less than a minute at Euston, and there was no sign of them when I boarded the arriving train - this would have happened anyway of course, since they were at a Finsbury Park door position, while I was hopping over to King's Cross, where I took the Piccadilly to Finsbury Park. I suspect I saw the back of Glen's head here, but it was straight onto a southbound Victoria, and the most packed NLL train (1542 I believe) I have ever used at Highbury and Islington.

At Stratford, the train was slightly less packed, but down at the back end, it was more empty, so I was able to battle my way through on the run in from Hackney Wick, and then it was onto a Jubilee line service down to a finish at Canary Wharf.
palkanetoijala31

about time we had some results I think the championship be interesting this year I think it go to the wire with plenty of people in with a chance!.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The, rather delayed, results for round 2 of the 2014/15 Random 15 Championship are as follows:

This was a normal no twists round, so just 15 random stations on the LU network (drawn from my bucket, due to the new generator program being broken at the time). The stations that needed to be visited were as follows:

--Embankment (meet up)
--East Putney
--Arsenal
--Canary Wharf (JLE)
--Goodge Street
--North Greenwich
--Turnham Green
--Vauxhall
--Marylebone
--West Brompton
--Shepherds Bush Market
--Edgware Road (Circle)
--Finsbury Park
--West Kensington
--Kennington

Fourteen challengers took part who split into 10 teams:

10th: Andrew Baker 03:08:30 finishing at Canary Wharf
9th: Tangy 02:57:07 finishing at Pimlico
8th: Nick Gardner 02:47:03 finishing at North Greenwich
7th: Andrew Chilcraft 02:44:35 finishing at North Greenwich
5th=: Glen Bryant 02:39:34 finishing at North Greenwich
5th=: Peter Smyth 02:39:34 finishing at North Greenwich
4th: Sam Inman, Tom Locke and Aaron Dadd 02:39:11 finishing at Arsenal
3rd: The Orange One 02:38:28 finishing at Canary Wharf
2nd: Kev, Nozza and Nozza Jnr 02:34:50 finishing at North Greenwich
1st: Andi James 02:32:07 finishing at North Greenwich

The league table now looks like this:
**PLEASE IGNORE THIS LEAGUE TABLE- IT IS INCORRECT**. Please see revised league table further down in this thread for correct scores.

1st: Glen Bryant 19 points (2 rounds attended)
=2nd: The Orange One: 17 points (2)
=2nd: Kevin Brown: 17 points (2)
=2nd: Damian Cook: 17 points (2)
5th: Andi James: 16 points (2)
=6th: Andrew Chilcraft: 11 points (2)
=6th: Tangy: 11 points (2)
=8th: Nick Gardner: 10 points (2)
=8th: Matthew Cook: 10 points (1)
=10th: Peter Smyth: 9 points (2)
=10th: Sam Inman: 9 points (2)
=10th: Tom Locke: 9 points (2)
13th: Aaron Dadd: 8 points (1)
14th: Andrew Baker: 5 points (2)
15th: Alex Stares-Tate: 1 point (1)

This concludes the results for round 2. Be prepared for Round 3 on January 17th 2015 which will include LO and NR stations as a twist. You will need a "London Connections" map for this one!

Signing out.
The BERC (Tangy)
Last edited by tangy on 03 Dec 2014, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I like this league table. So, Peter Smyth, what happened to you?

For me, ten things I would definitely not like to see come January 17th.

1) Marylebone (NR)
2) Paddington (NR)
3) Deptford
4) Nunhead
5) Anything south of the South London Line
6) Baker Street to Aldgate East/Tower Hill closed - oh wait, it will be...
7) Problems on the NLL - although, it actually helped me last time, so I'll change that to another Andi win
8) Clapton, AGAIN. This was the worst of the lot last year for me (for everyone else, it was either Caledonian Road and Barnsbury, New Cross or Hammersmith (H&C)... hehe)
9) South Bermondsey. I hate that place.
10) Farringdon (have a guess why...)

I am also very surprised that we are two rounds in and completely devoid of Rhyses. Will we get any more reports?
palkanetoijala31

The Orange One wrote:I like this league table. So, Peter Smyth, what happened to you?

1) Marylebone (NR)
2) Paddington (NR)
3) Deptford
4) Nunhead
7) Problems on the NLL - although, it actually helped me last time, so I'll change that to another Andi win
8) Clapton, AGAIN. This was the worst of the lot last year for me (for everyone else, it was either Caledonian Road and Barnsbury, New Cross or Hammersmith (H&C)... hehe)

I am also very surprised that we are two rounds in and completely devoid of Rhyses. Will we get any more reports?

you be surprised hugo that I have actually won a round for a while u young talent seem to be coming through but be wary as I have door positions for rail and also run from each rail station needed if possible this season seems to be in balance right up till end I reckon good thing is peter so well down I come back up but not as good as I could have been after first round.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
The Orange One wrote:I like this league table. So, Peter Smyth, what happened to you?

1) Marylebone (NR)
2) Paddington (NR)
3) Deptford
4) Nunhead

you be surprised hugo that I have actually won a round for a while u young talent seem to be coming through but be wary as I have door positions for rail and also run from each rail station needed if possible this season seems to be in balance right up till end I reckon good thing is peter so well down I come back up but not as good as I could have been after first round.
Hugo don't worry Andi's door positions are not always the best on NR some are completely the wrong end of the train. But he makes up the time with his running.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

I agree with Clapton, missed two consecutive departures from Liverpool Street that stop at Clapton by seconds, putting me half hour down!!!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

My apologies but due to a scoring error (on my part), the league table shown in the results post is incorrect- the league table should look like this, with scores amended.

1st: Glen Bryant 18 points (2 rounds attended)
=4th: The Orange One: 16 points (2)
=4th: Andi James: 16 points (2)
6th: Tangy: 14 points (2)
=7th: Andrew Chilcraft: 10 points (2)
=7th: Matthew Cook: 10 points (1)
9th: Nick Gardner: 9 points (2)
=10th: Peter Smyth: 8 points (2)
=10th: Sam Inman: 8 points (2)
=10th: Tom Locke: 8 points (2)
13th: Aaron Dadd: 7 points (1)
14th: Andrew Baker: 4 points (2)

This came about due to me scoring round 2 as 12, 10, 9, 8 7.... rather than 12, 10, 8, 7, 6.... that the scoring should be (as per the rules). Therefore everyone from 3rd downwards were awarded one extra point, which has now been deducted to show the correct scores.

Tangy
The BERC (or should that be berk?!)
Last edited by tangy on 03 Dec 2014, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

Tangy.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

tangy wrote:My apologies but due to a scoring error (on my part), the league table shown in the results post is incorrect- the league table should look like this, with scores amended.

1st: Glen Bryant 18 points (2 rounds attended)
=4th: The Orange One: 16 points (2)
=4th: Andi James: 16 points (2)
=6th: Andrew Chilcraft: 10 points (2)
=6th: Tangy: 10 points (2)
=6th: Matthew Cook: 10 points (1)
9th: Nick Gardner: 9 points (2)
=10th: Peter Smyth: 8 points (2)
=10th: Sam Inman: 8 points (2)
=10th: Tom Locke: 8 points (2)
13th: Aaron Dadd: 7 points (1)
14th: Andrew Baker: 4 points (2)

This came about due to me scoring round 2 as 12, 10, 9, 8 7.... rather than 12, 10, 8, 7, 6.... that the scoring should be (as per the rules). Therefore everyone from 3rd downwards were awarded one extra point, which has now been deducted to show the correct scores.

Tangy
The BERC (or should that be berk?!)
Oh, I liked being second... wondered when you'd notice!

Also, did you not win last round? How can you have 10 points with a win under your belt? Or have you deducted points for sloppy addition?
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

I don't know what I did to my own score for this round as I should have had 12+3, making 15 (14 when adjusted with the erroneous extra point), so how it came to be 11 is anyone's guess?! :?

Just proves that I can't count!!!

Tangy.