New Alternative : As many stations in an hour

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
geofftech
All Zones

New Alternative : As many stations in an hour

Post by geofftech »

Whilst doing <a href="http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tubechallenge/tube8.htm">the whole thing</a> yesterday, I came up with another pointless and stupid alternative challenge, namely:

<b>What's the most number of stations that you could 'do' within a certain time limit?</b> e.g an hour.

You'd be looking then for incorporating a route which had the least changes and shortest distances between stations.

I haven't even come up with a vague route for it (well except that I'd do it all on Zone 1 & 2 where everything is closer together), but just thought I'd throw it into the pot to see what you all thought of it ...
Last edited by Anonymous on 25 Feb 2005, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

I like this idea and will have a crack at it tommorow
Adham
Zone 4

Post by Adham »

You could just sit on one train on a line with a lot of stations (like the District), and then just put your faith in the speed of the train.

A similar thing would come into play in a new one I thought of which would be the shortest time to travel between two stations. Now the two closest stations are Leicester Square and Covent Garden, so it would make sense to go for those. However, you'd just be relying on the speed of the train, and if the driver was having a good day. There would not be much difference between times here.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

LOL! Hang on.. i'm trying to think of a time when I've ever put my faith in the District Line to travel quickly! Erm .. erm .. no, I'll get back to you on that one. :D

Ok, so the stretch between Tower Hill and Embankment would work.

Isn't the other shortest distance Wapping to Canada Water? I think I've known that to be faster that CG to LS before now.

You could start at Canda Water, head north change west at WhiteChapel, down to South Ken, then East up the Piccadilly and er that's probably about an hours worth isn't it?

Maybe we need to add another rule saying that you can't repeat any stations - they all have to be unique. (Thus preventing you from just sitting on a Circle Line train as well!)

Oh Joyous54 one (!), let us know how you get on.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

I only had one attempt as I was in a hurry and got 25 stations done, I thought it was rather crap. My original route had the district line in but that got messed up due to a signal failure at Plaistow.
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

For this challenge you would need to ride the densest parts of the tube network (i.e stations closest together). Also, you would want to severely limit the number of changes (as the time taken for a 2 min change + 2min wait could waste 2-3 stations). It would also help if the waits for changes were short, and trains were not blocking back (not always compatible).

Off the top of my head, the densest parts of the tube are District (Embankment-Tower Hill), Central (Holborn-Liverpool Street), and Bakerloo (Paddington-Baker St).

Modified post:

I have formulated a route that should manage approx 32 different stations in one hour (and one change). I may try it out later this week.....
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Well I did say it was 'pointless' and 'stupid' oh Joyous one! Maybe you need some competition to spice it up a bit - looks like G Force has provided you with that if he sets 32.

In the meantime let's try the "Zone 2" only challenge.

Or perhaps the SECOND letter of each station name alpabet challenge. (i.e. cAmden town, aCton town, eDgware, wEst ham etc... [there is no 'B'] )

no.. no.. hang on! i know! what about "All the stations that are nearest to the real life locations on the Monopoly board"

or .. JUST the tube lines (Central, Northern, Victoria, Bakerloo, Piccadilly, W&C), and then of course JUST sub-surface (Met, District, Circle, H&C)

Or! (and this is the best one) how about, go the <a href="http://www.animalsontheunderground.com">www.animalsontheunderground.com</a> site, and 'DO' an animal! You can then proudly walk round saying "I'm the fastest at doing THE ELEPHANT".

Go on Joy54... I dare you...
lazza747

Post by lazza747 »

Think of all the attention you'd get from girls ...
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

I'm used to that with my dust mask. They just can't take their eyes off me....
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

I think this is a good idea for a challenge. It can be done at off-peak times, and only takes an hour. The only other circa 1 hour alternative challenge is the All Lines challenge, and that is now very difficult to beat!
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

L747 ...

I think it's time we introduced to the newest animal on the underground .. the BAT //Makes arm movements//
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

G Force wrote:The only other circa 1 hour alternative challenge is the All Lines challenge, and that is now very difficult to beat!
I dont think it is actually "very difficult" to beat, i was less than 2 minutes out with Bethel, and once again there was the usual.... if only's.
lazza747

Post by lazza747 »

geofftech wrote:L747 ...

I think it's time we introduced to the newest animal on the underground .. the BAT //Makes arm movements//
Well, as much as I'd like to introduce THE BAT *makes arm movements*, I'm afraid it would give a vital part of our overall route away.
Cheap Suit
Zone 1

Most stations in 1 hour

Post by Cheap Suit »

8) I actually did this challenge myself in 1996, of my own volition. Covered around 25 stations without giving any thought to my route.
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

I was going to attempt this challenge late this afternoon, but one of the lines I needed to use had a few problems. I will just have to try another time!