Random 15 2013/14: Round 5

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here

What date/s would you prefer the Random 15 to be held?

Poll ended at 11 Mar 2014, 21:23

29th March
33%
5th April
25%
12th April
42%

Total votes: 24

palkanetoijala31

Re: Random 15 2013/14: Round 5

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

well we decided on doing something differant just in case dlr went down or clapham south or something like that so we thought we get the train at lewisham to london bridge and take that bit out towards clapham south although i really should have thought about xp at stockwell taking out brixton first instead of way back never mind.

we kind of like had the same ideas as everyone else we walked north acton to wilesden j allthough we took manor house via pic and walked down to hgl and overground across we even silly did a 3 stations central db because we got on wrong train and didnt realise but i guess we were just having a good time of it all
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The only real problem of a fixed finish is that all the challengers pretty much turned up at The Champion in the order that they finished. I didn't expect to walk into the pub and find I was the first one there (clearly thinking my time was rubbish)!

The inclusion of Lewisham DLR in the list ensued everyone first headed south before I and many others retraced our steps back northbound. I bailed at Canary Wharf to swap onto a waiting Stratford bound DLR to Devons Road where I exited the station to run to Bromley-by-Bow. Tractakid latched onto my idea and decided to do the same, though I soon pulled ahead and more crucially knew the way!

District to Whitechapel and down onto the ELL (why is it everytime I get onto the southbound platform the first train is always for New Cross?!) for a short hop to Shadwell. Ran to the DLR platforms only to see a Tower bound train pull away... 8 minutes wasted!

Over to Tower Hill, District to Mansion House and run to St Paul's, transfer at Bank to the Northern line to London Bridge. The Jubilee line had been playing up all day with big gaps then 3 trains in quick succession, this was no exception with a three minute wait to get to Southwark and 5 minutes on the return back to London Bridge (in both cases another train was right behind the first).

Back onto the Northern line down to Stockwell where my connections seemed to be going in my favour again with an excellent Stockwell arrive, Brixton double back and Stockwell depart in 5 minutes! Continued south to Clapham South then heading back to Stockwell to head north up the Victoria. Interchange at Victoria was again swift, running straight onto a Circle line train (meaning a change at South Ken) to reach Hammersmith.

Hammersmith H&C is another station where I have no luck, as upon entering I saw the tail lights of the previous train just on the crossover beyond the station. Wood Lane to White City run and the next westbound Central was a North Acton terminator, fine with me as that is as far as one wants to go (and also allowed me to finally bash the crossover into the centre road at North Acton). Took route 266 to Willesden Junction, though it actually took two buses to achieve it as outside the bus depot the bus I was on was taken out of service and another one provided to carry on the journey!

Running down the approach road at Willesden Junction noted a southbound Bakerloo roll into the station...managed to board it just before the doors closed. Coming down the Bakerloo I was thinking of several different routeings to try and visit the remaining stations before finally making up my mind just as the train rolled into Padd.

To it was onto a Wimbleware to Bayswater, run down the road to Queensway and onwards to Bond Street. The Jubilee was up to its tricks here too, with the next train screen showing 3 mins, 4 mins, 6 mins and a load of football fans shouting WEM-BER-LEY (please keep the chanting inside the stadium, not everyone is an avid football supporter)!

Up to the subsurface at Baker Street, and onwards to Euston Square. With the service pattern on the Northern it was better to run to Euston (rather than Warren Street) in order to visit Tufnell Park. Had a 5 minute wait for a route 4 bus down to Finsbury Park. Doubled back Manor House and swapped back to the Victoria Line for the final station at Green Park.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

tangy wrote:The league table now looks like this:

1st: Peter Smyth: 52 points
2nd: Kevin Brown: 44 points
3rd: Damian Cook: 34 points
4th: Tangy: 32 points
5th: Nick Gardner: 30 points
6th: Andrew Chilcraft: 29 points
7th: Andrew Baker: 27 points
8th: Rhys Benjamin: 23 points
9th: The Orange One: 18 points
10th: Andi James: 17 points
11th: Rhys Jackson: 15 points
12th: Tom Cooling: 6 points
13th: Ashley Moore: 4 points
14th: Simon Gardner: 3 points
I seem to have disappeared from the league table!

I've got 27 points I think!
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The Raven wrote:
I seem to have disappeared from the league table!

I've got 27 points I think!
Apologies Glen, you have been re-added to the league table with 27 points.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

These times now added to Explorer Ticket league tables

Inclusion of these results means we have collectively done 250 Random 15 individual challenges.

Tangy.