Tube Olympics: Event 3- Nordic Combined. 11th February 2014

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Tube Olympics: Event 3- Nordic Combined. 11th February 2014

Post by tangy »

Event 3 of Tube Olympics is the Nordic Combined. There is a planned Tube strike on this day, but it will not start until 21:00 so the challenge will be going ahead as scheduled.

The Nordic combined is split into two parts. Part one is a 60 minute tube challenge and part two is a pub quiz. Points scored from both parts of this event will be combined to give your final score. Medals will be awarded to the top three highest points scorers. More details below:

Part one: Tube Challenge

1. You have 60 minutes to visit as many UNIQUE London Underground stations as possible, 1 point is available for each one visited.
2. An additional 2 points can be gained if you interchange between lines, either internally or externally. So an interchange between the Northern and Jubilee at London Bridge would yield 3 points (1 point for the station and 2 for the interchange). An external interchange say between Warren Street and Euston Square will yield 4 points (1 point for each station plus 2 for the interchange).
3. An interchange between two lines that share the SAME tracks to the next station will NOT count. Therefore a change at Euston Square between the Circle and Met will gain you nothing!
4. A successful interchange will only count when the doors on the train you are departing on close fully, beware of this when you are near to the end of your 60 minutes.
5. Doubling back through the same interchange twice will not score you any additional points see the examples below (supplied by Soup Dragon).
6. You may start at any station you desire in between 1730 and 1815. You only have ONE attempt, therefore once you have started you may NOT reset your watch and start again

Part two: Pub quiz

The pub quiz will be hosted by yours truly (therefore I will only be challenging in part one of this event). The quiz will be held in the Horse & Groom (128 Great Portland Street), ideally I would like to start by 1945. There will be 60 questions (6 topics of 10 questions each) on a printed sheet. The quiz may be done in teams and not necessarily the partner you did part one with.

It is important the challengers do not talk amongst each other about how many points they scored in part one as this could influence which team you join for the quiz.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Examples of Nordic Combined scoring:

--Example 1: Say you are travelling from Camden Town to Moorgate on the Northern Line (Bank Branch), and you decide to change at KXSP to the Victoria Line and go back to Euston, and then switch back to the Northern line to continue to Moorgate. this would score ZERO bonus points, You would only score SIX points for the stations you've visited.

--Example 2: Travelling from Camden Town to TCR on the Northern Line (this time via Mornington Cres.) You change at Euston, Northern (Bank Branch) to KXSP, then on to the Victoria Line to Warren Street and then back onto the Northern Line to TCR. This combo of stations and changes would score you SIX bonus points and SEVEN stations visited = 13 points.

Hope all is clear. So who is taking part?
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: Tube Olympics: Event 3- Nordic Combined. 11th February 2

Post by tractakid »

tangy
tractakid
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

tangy
tractakid
GU
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

If someone changes from the Circle line to the other Circle line at Edgware Road does that count as a line change?
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

I would have said no as it's the "same" Circle Line...the only difference it's gone round Central London first to end up back there to carry on to Hammersmith.
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

What about coming in to Euston Square on the Circle westbound and leaving on the H&C eastbound?
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

The Orange One wrote:What about coming in to Euston Square on the Circle westbound and leaving on the H&C eastbound?
Rule 3 still applies as circle and H&C shares same tracks in both directions.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Sorry for the double post
DrainBrain wrote:If someone changes from the Circle line to the other Circle line at Edgware Road does that count as a line change?
I would say no but if you used district from Wimbledon then changed to circle to either Hammersmith or Aldgate this should meet the rules as you are not using the same track.
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

I don't know the answer, which is why I asked. Consider:

Scenario 1:
Time is nearly expired. I'm on a Circle line train from Baker Street towards Edgware Road. At Edgware Road I change onto a District line train. It visits Paddington (Bak/Dis/Cir) then visits Bayswater and time expires.

Scenario 2:
Time is nearly expired. I'm on a Circle line train from Baker Street towards Edgware Road. At Edgware Road I change onto a Circle line train. It visits Paddington (Bak/Dis/Cir) then visits Bayswater and time expires.

These are essentially the same. Scenario 1 is undoubtedly a line change. Scenario 2 is... ?
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

I would say its a change of branch not line so would not get the extra point. But this of course will be up to tangy to decide.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

One fix could be to combine all for sub-surface lines into one.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Not sure that quite works - eastbound District to westbound H&C at Aldgate East strikes me as legit
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Does changing from Bank to Monument count as 3 or 4 points?
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Anyone around in the daytime tomorrow?
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Iain wrote:Not sure that quite works - eastbound District to westbound H&C at Aldgate East strikes me as legit
I don't like it. It's a similar case to eastbound Met to westbound Circle at Great Portland Street.

I shall be attending too (but only the challenge part - I shall submit my score to tangy at the H&G). But only if I can reach Gloucester Road for a train that leaves before 1815 (which may be difficult!).