Random 15 Championship 2013/14: Round 3

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here

What date would you prefer for the round 3?

Poll ended at 16 Dec 2013, 22:09

4th January
63%
18th January
38%

Total votes: 16

tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: Random 15 Championship 2013/14: Round 3

Post by tractakid »

Iain wrote:Not knowing all the station codes is hardly ignorance, and certainly not something I'll lose any sleep over.

I'm glad you had fun, perhaps you could think of other people as well?
I am genuinely sorry I cost you 7.86 seconds of your life
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

Route for me and A2:

Oxford Circus :arrow: White City :arrow: run to Wood Lane :arrow: Hammersmith :arrow: Acton Town :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: East Putney :arrow: Clapham Common by 37 bus :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: St. John's :arrow: New Cross :arrow: run to New Cross Gate :arrow: Whitechapel :arrow: Liverpool Street :arrow: Clapton :arrow: Hackney Central by 106 bus...

At this point the NLL troubles kicked in and the rest of the route was heavily improvised...

No trains at Hackney Central, so :arrow: Canonbury by 277 bus and a short walk :arrow: Highbury & Islington, no westbound trains :arrow: King's Cross St. Pancras :arrow: St. Pancras International :arrow: Farringdon :arrow: King's Cross St. Pancras :arrow: Caledonian Road :arrow: walk to Caledonian Road & Barnsbury :arrow: Highbury & Islington

Both A2 and I were staring at the map bewilderedly, so we decided to team up before heading through the ticket barriers at Oxford Circus. I'll gloss over some initial indecisiveness that saw us at Holborn before doubling back westward on the Central Line.

No District line train in sight at Hammersmith but a Piccadilly line train was in the platform so took that to Acton Town, but just missed the District back and had to wait ages for the next one. In the meantime we met Myles. After Putney Bridge, Myles took a different route to Clapham Common, but it made no difference as we all subsequently got off the same Northern Line train at London Bridge.

Good double back at St. John's and we then left Myles behind on the run to New Cross Gate. Minor delay on the way to Whitechapel as someone had tripped the emergency alarm. At Liverpool Street A2's ticket didn't work and he had to also produce his railcard. Fortunately we had plenty of time. Also, I was loitering by the wrong platform but A2 put me straight (if I'd been on my own I probably would have been on the wrong train).

On to Clapton then bus to Hackney Central for a train towards Kentish Town West. 'No trains, mate!' cried a passerby as we headed up the ramp at Hackney Central. What a portentous cry! After checking with the staff member we went to get a bus to Dalston Junction, and a 277 came by and A2 established this went close to Canonbury, so we headed there and got a train to Highbury & Islington. We missed a random NLL(-ish) train at H&I by seconds that would have got us to Caledonian Road & Barnsbury and probably to Camden Road, but there was no sign of any other trains: the display boards said 'Service Suspended' and the staff member had no information. We therefore headed towards St. Pancras International.

We figured we'd go back to Caledonian Road & Barnsbury and either we'd get a train or would take a photo of the 'Service Suspended' signs and call it a day. Fortunately a train arrived just as we got there and we finished at H&I.

(I couldn't stay long at the pub and I owe 50p.)
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

tractakid wrote:
Iain wrote:Not knowing all the station codes is hardly ignorance, and certainly not something I'll lose any sleep over.

I'm glad you had fun, perhaps you could think of other people as well?
I am genuinely sorry I cost you 7.86 seconds of your life
As I've already said, it didn't take 7.86 seconds.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

:'(
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*