My second solo crack at the Zone 1 - 19/11/13

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Rhys1995
Zone 5

My second solo crack at the Zone 1 - 19/11/13

Post by Rhys1995 »

Anyone who has me on Facebook will know I completed a Z1 challenge solo in 3:13:30, here's a quick write-up on how it went...

I had decided on doing a Z1 that morning while commuting into Liverpool Street as I fancied my chances seeing as it wasn't a particularly busy day (in comparison to the weekend) so off I went. I made my decision as to where to start in a Subway just outside Aldgate station using the most professional of methods, closing my eyes, circling my finger and pointing at one station, and it came out with Victoria. I toyed with the idea of doing the Circle first but then changed my mind on the way down to the start and decided to chance taking out the south first and work from there. My final route with notes was as follows:

Victoria :arrow: Vauxhall :arrow: NR to Waterloo; not a bad change with 3m approx. :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: Elephant and Castle; I just about got on a southbound train as I hit the platform, had I failed to get this I would have had to wait TEN minutes! :arrow: Paddington (Bak) :arrow: Run to Paddington (H + C) where I had a 5m wait for a train to :arrow: Edgware Road :arrow: then a 0m change onto the Wimbleware to :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: Aldgate East :arrow: Aldgate :arrow: Great Portland Street, where I had a 4m wait for a DB to :arrow: Euston Square :arrow: run to Warren Street :arrow: Goodge Street :arrow: Euston, where I didn't get lost unlike last time! :arrow: Bank, foolishly as I couldn't break the wall of bankers :arrow: NHG :arrow: another 0m change onto the Wimbleware back to :arrow: Earl's Court, where I missed a Piccadilly Line service because I forgot where the Starkey stairs were, meaning I had to wait an extra 2m for my final train to :arrow: Russell Square...

In retrospect I was extremely lucky to get two 0m changes on the Wimbleware, but to even do it twice was pretty stupid. Regardless not a bad time, and a pretty satisfied Rhys :)
Otherwise known as 'Action Jackson'.
The Orange One
All Zones

Re: My second solo crack at the Zone 1 - 19/11/13

Post by The Orange One »

As a rule of thumb, try to cut down the double passes (16/64 stations were passed through twice!)

Some stations (like Victoria, Waterloo and Embankment) it is very hard not to visit twice and keep a good route (Victoria has two single Circle stops either side plus the Victoria south, best way to visit Charing Cross is passing through Embankment), but there must have been a way to avoid doing Earls Court twice (double-backs at Victoria).
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

With a re-jigged overall route then yes, but if there wasn't a circle from NHG for a while then going via EC could be faster
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

True - I meant doing the bit from NHG through to South Ken.
Rhys1995
Zone 5

Post by Rhys1995 »

I seriously enjoyed the day and I keep learning new things every time. I just couldn't figure out how to not end up doing the Wimbleware twice somehow but I would have loved to have seen how taking out the Circle before continuing with the rest would have affected the whole journey, and time.
Otherwise known as 'Action Jackson'.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

H and C to Moorgate from Paddington :)
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Central to Queensway, run to Bayswater, Wimbleware to Earls Court, Piccadilly/District out. Edgware Road is automatically connected to Paddington H&C, no need to connect it with the Wimbleware as well.