no next attempt fnc record!
The Orange One
All Zones

Re: The Orange One's attempts

Post by The Orange One »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
tractakid wrote:Congratulations. You can retire now, I think. :) hehe
I'm waiting for the Croxley Link! I mean, we had your time in 2009 (with Tangy and which was supposed to be unbeatable. So technically the record at the moment is 24 minutes faster than impossible. I'll let it reset. I think I'll just continue ticking off the Alternative Challenges and attempting to break those I feel are a little weak (doing the Bottle next while I attempt to figure out a Mouse route).

Andi you should go and redo Z1. You are out of the top 10...
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

The Orange One wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:
I'm waiting for the Croxley Link! I mean, we had your time in 2009 (with Tangy and which was supposed to be unbeatable. So technically the record at the moment is 24 minutes faster than impossible. I'll let it reset. I think I'll just continue ticking off the Alternative Challenges and attempting to break those I feel are a little weak (doing the Bottle next while I attempt to figure out a Mouse route).

Don't wait! Get the glory of being the final holder in the configuration. The Browns have that honour for the last one... (i think)
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

tractakid wrote:
The Orange One wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:

Don't wait! Get the glory of being the final holder in the configuration. The Browns have that honour for the last one... (i think)
THAT NEW RECORD IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE don't listen to the latest holders rhetoric go for it you don't know until you actually try

and for the zone 1 I only really do on zone 1 day and tube Olympics so I don't really do a lot all my routes have been on the day but I suppose my route actually hasn't had the luxury of the best starting point but comes out with good enough times to win twice 2009,2012
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Why I'm not trying it now

I'm not so great on the running side of things - I can make up the time on smaller challenges with a combination of luck and helpful buses (I've never been held at a red signal before, during several years of tube journeys), but for example, on the Cockfosters :arrow: High Barnet run without a 307 I'm out of sensible options (384 is just ridiculous), and I can't switch about route timings to make sure I get helpful buses on every substantial run.

Why I'm trying it later

1) Record is reset, making it easier to get and giving me a higher chance of getting it
2) Watford Junction is very well connected - as I said I do better on the public transport side of things than the running
3) Gives me 3/4 years to get myself in some sort of shape
4) I'm at uni
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

The Orange One wrote:Why I'm not trying it now

I'm not so great on the running side of things - I can make up the time on smaller challenges with a combination of luck and helpful buses (I've never been held at a red signal before, during several years of tube journeys), but for example, on the Cockfosters :arrow: High Barnet run without a 307 I'm out of sensible options (384 is just ridiculous), and I can't switch about route timings to make sure I get helpful buses on every substantial run.

Why I'm trying it later

1) Record is reset, making it easier to get and giving me a higher chance of getting it
2) Watford Junction is very well connected - as I said I do better on the public transport side of things than the running
3) Gives me 3/4 years to get myself in some sort of shape
4) I'm at uni

I am very confident that once the record has been reset it will be those that already have a ton of experience that have a much higher chance of nabbing the record. The reset doesn't change much in terms of routes, it's just a longer double back. The same logic will therefore apply to the rest of the network- even if the current 'best' theoretical route doesn't fit the new timings.

As for being out of shape- yes, a hindrance. But actually, getting out there and doing your best on an FNC will help with your fitness. You could also try doing parkruns (the only thing ever that has helped me, pretty much) or other things that you want to do. Great thing about parkruns (5K) is that it is a longer distance than you will ever have to run while on a challenge- so once you are comfortable with 5k shorter distances will seem easier.

The record is hard now, yes. It can be beaten, perhaps by a chunk. But wouldn't it be much more satisfying if you did get it while it was hard?

I also feel like The Record is less significant than others seem to feel. I will never care for a Guinness verification- I don't think they are a capable party to adjudicate such things. My goals revolve around personal bests- going as fast as I can. So far, each of my three completions has been faster than the previous. I have great satisfaction from that even though my best time is now almost an hour behind the fastest.

You do whatever you like- but I reckon you are missing an opportunity to have a go at the current configuration.
palkanetoijala31

One thing I will say is that this is probably the most unique opportunity for a long time last time dec 2007 so whatever date it is in 2016 I believe a precendant should be set and no matter what time of the fastest person on that particular day is.

I think they should accept all records that date and then have the fastest going onwards as the official
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

If Team A started at 0530 and finished at 2230 (17 hours), while Team B started at 0600 and finished at 2240 (16 hrs 40 min), I wonder if Guinness would accept Team A's time as a record, albeit one that was broken 10 minutes later?
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Partially depends if there's an arbitrary target to beat.
palkanetoijala31

tractakid wrote:Partially depends if there's an arbitrary target to beat.
they would have too for example i think they should allow all records for that day but the official one of the day is which ever is the fastest continued!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

To coincide with the Doctor Who 50th, I shall be heading around the tube (because that is what I do). I shall be visiting the 9 stations with all the letters D, R, W, H and O (Chorleywood, Fulham Broadway, Goldhawk Road, Harrow and Wealdstone, Holloway Road, Northwood, Northwood Hills, South Woodford and Totteridge and Whetstone).

Clad in bow-tie, jelly baby and ridiculous scarf, I will have no plan, no backup, no weapons worth a damn. Unfortunately the TARDIS counts as private transport, so no sneaky time travel. Allons-y!

When I am done, I will be back with a full report of "The Tube Challenge Of The Doctor".
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

At 6am in the morning, I donned shirt, suit jacket and bow tie, picked up my recorder, sonic screwdriver and psychic Zones 1-9 travelcard and set out to hunt Yeti on the London Underground - 9 & a half stops in "The Tube Challenge Of The Doctor" (half stop Earls Court).

- My travelcard didn't work on ANY barriers, but people let me through all the same.
- Central Line attempted to let me down, but after waiting for several minutes at Holland Park we didn't linger anywhere at all.
- Northern Line closures caused some inconvenience, but a Rail Replacement Bus from Arnos Grave put paid to any difficulties there. Two people on the High Barnet train (me and the driver).
- Totteridge and Whetstone was lonely, Northwood was cold, South Woodford was quite nice, Goldhawk Road was boring and tractakid's Southern service was fun.
- Two buses turned up at H&I, so I naturally caught the second one (please note this strategy!).

Final time 04:53:03
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

My Southern service? lol

Must have planned that connection, it's only hourly.

I do like that service from MK, but don't think I can claim ownership!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

It was a 12 minute wait. It did come naturally from an on-the-hour start at Baker Street - which is how I like to start things off (in case my stopwatch fails).

I know it's your favourite service - that's why I know it as yours. If it was not anytime soon I would probably have used LO (I believe LO is marginally faster than London Midland and a crawl across to Fulham Broadway - especially with Earls Court playing up). But it was there and useful.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Next in line are the Bottle, Roads Streets and Lanes and Royal challenges. The Mouse is so horrible to plan a route for that I think I'll just leave it be.

(I've got a 5:02 for the Royal, with only 2 buses - one of which I am, however, relying on, thankfully only two trains in)
Last edited by The Orange One on 02 Dec 2013, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.