The Orange One's attempts

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Iain
All Zones

Re: The Orange One's attempts

Post by Iain »

Our record mouse route really isn't that complex. You need to spot it (Glen came up with it) but there's nothing revolutionary or regarding rips in the space-time continuum.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Planning on joining us for the Park challenge in December?
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I hope to, but family holiday plans may cause problems (they have in the past which is why I was not able to get to the first R15). Which is a shame as I have my route all planned out. I will almost certainly be there at R15 Round 3 though.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Just come back from one of the most horrible Bottle Challenges ever. It was not the best route - although it only visited one station twice (Baker Street), it was full of nasty changes. 02:31:43

Knightsbridge :arrow: Piccadilly Circus :arrow: Charing Cross :arrow: Leicester Square :arrow: King's Cross St Pancras :arrow: Euston Square :arrow: Warren Street :arrow: Tottenham Court Road :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: Regent's Park :arrow: Great Portland Street :arrow: Paddington H&C :arrow: Paddington BCD :arrow: Baker Street :arrow: Bond Street :arrow: Queensway :arrow: Bayswater :arrow: Earl's Court (no Circle) :arrow: Aldgate East :arrow: Aldgate :arrow: Farringdon (on a Met) :arrow: Chancery Lane :arrow: Bank

- Started with delays on the Piccadilly Line (got held at HPK for around 3 minutes having just left Knightsbridge)
- Took around 15 minutes to go to Charing Cross and back
- Had to vault the barrier at Euston Road because I started off running to Euston instead of Warren Street and then backtracked.
- With 1h30m at Queensway, I knew I wasn't going to do well at all, so when there was a just departed Circle at Bayswater (and a Wimbleware in 5) I went to buy some chocolate milk at Sainsburys. Felt so much better after finishing it - please note that chocolate milk is the perfect cure for hot-and-sweatiness in All Lines Challenges and the like (you could probably have mistaken the middle bit of the route for an All Lines)
- Had to use two Districts and a Met to get from Bayswater to Farringdon
- On top of that, I missed a train at Chancery Lane

It's such a pain
When fate ordains
You miss a train
At Chancery Lane.

And going over that again:
As in the main,
If you're insane
Enough to run
Through pouring rain
To catch a train
At Chancery Lane,
Fate will ordain
You miss this train
At Chancery Lane,
And it's a pain.
Especially if it's a Woodford via Hainault train.

I can't complain.
I ascertain
I should refrain
From this campaign
To just attain
An earlier train
At Chancery Lane
Or you might think I'm inhumane
I'm certainly insane
(that I remain)
And I could end up on a plane
Shipped off to Spain
Or perhaps Ukraine.

Then I surfed the drain (not part of that song)
To Waterloo
And went home on the Bakerloo.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Royal Challenge attempt

Route: Queensbury :arrow: Swiss Cottage :arrow: South Hampstead (run) :arrow: Stonebridge Park :arrow: Hanger Lane (by 112 bus) :arrow: Park Royal (run) :arrow: North Ealing :arrow: West Acton (run) :arrow: Queensway :arrow: Royal Oak (run) :arrow: King's Cross St Pancras :arrow: Victoria :arrow: Peckham Rye (Southeastern) :arrow: London Bridge (Southern) :arrow: Canning Town :arrow: Cyprus :arrow: King George V (run when missed bus) :arrow: Canning Town :arrow: West Ham :arrow: Barking (c2c) :arrow: Blackhorse Road :arrow: Highbury and Islington :arrow: Stratford :arrow: Barkingside.

Highlights:
- Diving through the closing doors onto the Jubilee at Canning Town
- Woodford via Hainault train at West Acton
Lowlights:
- Missing the GOBLIN (it's the first time I've ever been on there)
- Missing the Woolwich Arsenal at Canning Town and having to go the other way
- Missing the 474 bus at Cyprus and having to run to King George V instead (this did not put me down a train!)

Most of it was as expected. Watford DC ran two minutes late seemingly putting my 112 connection in jeopardy, but the 112 was running a minute late as well. Hanger Lane-Park Royal and North Ealing-West Acton runs were no problem (again my first time doing these). I could have gained a train at Royal Oak but I would have lost it by Victoria. I did gain a train at KCSP, but used up the time getting lost in Victoria (Platform 8 is not signposted, although 1-7 and 9-18 are). Two NR trains in a row! The automatic DLR (Beckton) was running late.

West Ham: I knew a GOBLIN was leaving at 10:03 at Barking. I also knew the fastest way to get to Barking at this point was via c2c which arrives at 10:04. c2c turns up two minutes early! 10:02:40 and the doors open at Barking. Not quite enough time to reach the GOBLIN.

Still, it was 4:49:41.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

South of the Thames Challenge

Firstly, a little reminder - this challenge exists! Does exactly what it says on the tin.
Secondly, a time of 01:50:00 (yes, on the minute).

Highlights:
Richmond - Putney train turned up within 30 seconds, no intermediate stops.
D Stock turned up immediately at East Putney.
Fast 219 bus ride (3 minutes - last time I went between South Wimbledon and Vanilla Wimbledon it took me 15 minutes).
3 sexy changes onto the Victoria.

Lowlights:
6 minute wait at Waterloo for the final Jubilee out to North Greenwich (just missed one - see reason below)
"Ready" Bakerloo line train at E&C didn't leave for 3/4 minutes - Bakerloo line drivers are the laziest people in the world.

Unrelated: The Curse of Clapham Junction
Getting to today's start point is the first time I have ever taken a Richmond NLL train (either from or to). In fact, When I first arrived at Gospel Oak (having decided to ride the rest of the GOBLIN), the train in platform was a Clapham Junction, so I took it as far as Willesden Junction. Next train was a Richmond, but when in platform TURNED INTO a Clapham Junction. Jumped off just in time. Finally got a proper Richmond, which I took to Richmond, starting my stopwatch at Kew Gardens.
Also I've never taken an ELL train that wasn't a Clapham Junction (either from or to). I almost made a West Croydon to Dalston Junction on my way back from North Greenwich, but I was seconds too late and the curse struck again. One day, LO, one day...
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Right, another challenge attempt! The Mouse Challenge - it was awful. Final time of 01:50:15.

It started off fine enough pulling away from Camden Town, and was OK for a while. Then it started going wrong. Moorgate Southbound Northern platforms, and madly dashing for the westbound sub-surface. Getting to the top and just before I reached the staircase to the westbound, I saw a train on platform 2, but by the time I reached the platform, it was pulling away. 5 minutes wait. If only I'd picked a day when the Metropolitan line was running.

Things did not get much better from there. Arriving at Farringdon, I was at the wrong end of the station for the exit (I made the DrainBrain mistake here and trusted my phone). And then I realised it was an uphill run to Chancery Lane with the wind in my face. Wonderful. It was here I first felt this challenge might end up like my disastrous Bottle attempt. Missed a train at Chancery Lane, which made things worse, and I was definitely feeling the déjà vu. Off at Bank to run to Cannon Street - this was the last nice bit. The District Line always makes me feel better when on a challenge.

It didn't last long. Another uphill run from Embankment to Charing Cross, and I foolishly stopped off in a Holland and Barrett. I was feeling thirsty and for the past month all Holland and Barrett stores have been giving out little cups of Rochester Ginger Drink (which was something I could do with). There was none. This delay took 30 seconds, and although I dashed straight onto a Bakerloo line train at Charing Cross, I was feeling more thirsty than before. Messing about the southern stations, I toyed with riding the Kennington Loop when I reached Kennington as my time was already 1 hour 30 minutes, but decided against it. Challenge finished at Southwark off a packed Jubilee line train (the Jubilee was suspended from Waterloo to Wembley Park).
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I'm planning to attempt the Roads, Streets and Lanes on Saturday - taking advantage of a Tube service through Rayners Lane during the weekend, which there hardly ever is these days.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Boycotting the biathlon?! :P
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Not a darts player, and I've been waiting for weeks for the network to be sufficiently open. Besides, it's not much of a tube challenge, is it?
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

A second Mouse Challenge. Completely reversed my original route, giving me a time of 01:28:37.

Almost every change was perfect. The only problems were:
- Missed Bakerloo at Elephant and Castle
- Northern Line's every 5 minutes frequency in rush hour did NOT HELP
- Northern Line took ages to open its doors at every station, and ages to move off
- The Northern Line
- The Northern Line
- The Northern Line

Good things:
- From E&C up to Charing Cross, I was the only person in my Bakerloo carriage
- Chancery Lane to Farringdon run was absolutely amazing downhill, same with Charing Cross to Embankment
- Euston Square. Not my favourite station, but actually went OK

May have another try at this, but I'm happy with this time.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I hope to FINALLY get round to Roads, Streets and Lanes tomorrow - with Bond Street open to both Central and Jubilee, I need to get it done quickly.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

The Orange One wrote:I'm planning to attempt the Roads, Streets and Lanes on Saturday - taking advantage of a Tube service through Rayners Lane during the weekend, which there hardly ever is these days.
It's been over 4 months, and I've finally got round to an attempt at this!! Technically, two attempts, with the first one aborted around 8 minutes in.

I started at Bow Road, which looked to be the most badly connected station of the lot, where I hoped to throw in an NR train, which failed the first time round. 28-30 minutes later...

I started at Bow Road AGAIN, this time crossing my fingers for a better time. The fastest way to Stratford from the Bow Road area is actually by DLR, but a tube visit was necessary for Bow Road, so a District Line train to Mile End and a Central Line (Hainault terminator, nothing interesting) to Stratford where I made the 0804 GA to Bishops Stortford (my interesting gambit). Off at Tottenham Hale and straight onto the Victoria Line. Sexy change across at Blackhorse Road, down to Finsbury Park. Train pulling into the Piccadilly Northbound, and an easy reversal at Turnpike Lane onto a packed Rayners Lane terminator. Through Holloway Road and Caledonian Road down to KCSP, and it was painful (apart from Finsbury Park where the Victoria Line eases things). Change for the Northern Line at KCSP, and a packed train that I wouldn't have been able to catch if I tried pulled out.

Wait 1 minute for the next one (that's Northern Line luxury - it's usually about 5). Through Old Street to Bank, and the pain to plan for that is Cannon Street. I ran through to Monument, hopped on a Circle to Cannon Street, and back to Bank. Central Line to Liverpool Street, cross-platform and we're off to the newly reopened Central Line platforms, (which look exactly the same) at Bond Street, via Chancery Lane and Tottenham Court Road. This week is the lucky week with the Bond Street interchange an available option, and the Jubilee Line platform direction signs were already covered up, but I followed them regardless. Down to Green Park, down the corridor which I'm pretty sure gets shorter every time I run it to the Piccadilly Line. South Kensington and I let an Ealing Broadway District train go because of different platforms at Gloucester Road for the Circle immediately behind. This turns out to be the right idea, as we arrived at Gloucester Road at the same time.

Round the Circle, via High Street Kensington to Edgware Road (SSL). The Edgware Road run (which I've never actually done before, despite knowing the area well), and straight onto a train at Edgware Road (Bakerloo). So far, apart from the first train (and that was purged with a restart), every change has been more or less perfect (I suppose I might have made that Northern Line train, but 1 minute was good enough for me). Then the Warwick Avenue to Royal Oak run, during which I had to tie my shoelaces. Had to wait an undeterminted number of minutes (which was probably about 3) for the H&C down to Goldhawk Road via Latimer Road and Wood Lane. Reverse and the best Wood Lane to White City run I have ever done, and I arrive on the Westbound platforms to see two trains, both apparently terminators - but a helpful man on the train in Platform 1 shouts that it's the West Ruislip train, so I make that. This is the first time I've ever run from Wood Lane to White City and found that a train isn't pulling out.

I'm in completely the wrong carriage for Hanger Lane. I leave the station tentatively (not having a clue where I am going), but I'm on the north side of the eastbound A40, which is good. I start running, but I have somehow got a stitch, so I walk back to the bus stop. This is a good thing, as a number 95 turns up within seconds of my return there so I get on that non-stop to Park Royal (and the stitch is gone by the time I get there! The God of Bus and Tube Challenging must be smiling on me - that was a 4 minute connection). 5 minutes for an Uxbridge train, and I get off at Rayners Lane and walk over the bridge to see an S Stock coming up the line. 1 minute later, I'm on the eastbound platform and it's still not arrived, but is making its way slowly along the line. Finally, it limps into the platform, and it's the long haul down to Great Portland Street.

The train crawls through Harrow, Preston Road, Wembley Park, calls at Neasden though doesn't open its doors, crawls all the way down to Finchley Road, down to Baker Street (it was particularly painful as it inched over the Regent's Canal) and finally to Great Portland Street. An A Stock wouldn't have done that. I've never run GPS to Warren Street, though I've walked it. Somehow, it's a lot closer when you're running. Down to the Northern Line platforms and a train is there to take me to Goodge Street. There's no time for a Geoff Marshall photo at Goodge Street and it's back up to the finish line at Mornington Crescent.

Somehow, the good changes throughout the challenge balance out the evil Uxbridge Met Line train (I don't know how Rhys B or Myles can bear Uxbridge terminating Met Line trains) and I achieved a time of 03:47:50. Next time I use the Metropolitan Line, I shall be using Chesham or Watford terminators. They tend to work properly.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Right, this challenge was proposed years ago (I read it somewhere in the Alternative Challenge Section) as "Not The Victoria Line Challenge". I attempted a slight variant of it today. The idea is of course to visit the following stations:

Walthamstow Central (NR), Blackhorse Road, Tottenham Hale (NR), Seven Sisters, Finsbury Park, Highbury and Islington, King's Cross St Pancras, Euston, Warren Street, Oxford Circus, Green Park, Victoria, Vauxhall (NR), Stockwell and Brixton (NR). Oh, and you have to make an on foot visit to Pimlico.

One little problem though - no using the Victoria Line. That shook things up a bit, I can tell you.

I was delayed in reaching my first train (starting at Wood Street), so to ensure later changes were nice and smooth, I started at St. James's Street (a handy W15 bus got me there in time for the first train, which was delayed by 3 minutes).

Went from there to Walthamstow Central (NR). Then, of course, I headed down the lovely new Ray Dudley Way (it's really fast) to Walthamstow Queen's Road. 8 minutes for a GOBLIN to South Tottenham (via Blackhorse Road), then a run to Seven Sisters. Here stupidity kicked in. 10 minutes for a southbound Greater Anglia service to Hackney Downs, where I was met by 15 minutes for a northbound Greater Anglia to Tottenham Hale (NR) (and, of course, onwards to Hertford East). Of course I should have taken the northbound train that arrived within 2 minutes at Seven Sisters and used a handy 123 bus from Bruce Grove to Tottenham Hale, because I then transferred to a Stratford bound train at TOM.

Heading towards Stratford, and absolutely sick of Class 315s, I ran for an Overground train. Not my day here either - 9 minutes for a Richmond service which crawled all the way to Highbury and Islington. 6 minutes for one of the last ever First Capital Connect services up to Finsbury Park, then onto the Piccadilly Line down to King's Cross St Pancras. There was an Italian woman on the train attempting to buy water off people - none of us had any until someone got on at Caledonian Road and shared. Onto the Northern Line to Euston, change to the other branch down to Tottenham Court Road (via Warren Street). Here followed a series of fast and furious changes: Central Line to Oxford Circus, Bakerloo Line to Piccadilly Circus, Piccadilly Line to Green Park, Jubilee Line to Westminster, Distract Line to Victoria.

4 minutes wait on Victoria National Rail platform 4 for a train to Brixton (NR). That was no problem, though, as there was a brass band by Platform 1 playing "Bring Me Sunshine". Brixton is a really inconvenient place, though - luckily my timing was perfect for a P5 bus across to Clapham North (otherwise I would have used a 35/37 to Clapham Common). Used the emergency stairs at Clapham North, then got into the correct door position for Waterloo. Edgware via Bank service turned up, and there were about 20 schoolchildren (with 2 teachers) on board who all chorused "Hi." It was really nice of them - they were on their way to the Invictus Games. I explained what I was doing, and I think there was some interest - if anybody from Thomas's Clapham Day School is reading this, everyone is welcome to join the prestigious ranks of the Tube Challengers - just remember to bring a stopwatch and a paper travelcard.

Passed through Stockwell, changed at Kennington to go to Waterloo. Ran the length of the concourse for a train to Vauxhall (NR), then got on a 185 bus up to near Pimlico and ran into the ticket hall for a final time of 03:14:32 (taken when I touched the barriers).

Conclusion: The Victoria Line is very, very necessary and important. Long may she reign.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I'm not the first to attempt the All Lines, but I might be the first to attempt it wearing two shirts, a jumper, a coat, a hat, a scarf and complete a Kakuro and a Codeword in the process.

I went to my start point of Farringdon, and waited for the right combination to come close together. Several trains passed before "Barking 1, Aldgate 2, Circle 4" came on the board, which would do me (Barking 0, Aldgate 4, Circle 9, seriously?). Rode round to Liverpool Street, where I ran down to the Central for a North Acton terminator, which I took to Bank. Ran down to the W&C onto a waiting train, which was much better than last time, where it pulled away as I arrived. Still took 2 minutes to go. Went down to Waterloo.

Ran out and down to the Northern Line, then to Embankment. Going nicely so far, then up the stairs to the Westbound platform...
Circle Line 2 min. I don't WANT the Circle!!! Have to let it go, then board the District Line. Down the stairs at Westminster onto a waiting Jubilee to Green F. Park (here the record just slipped away), then up to Oxford Circus on a Victoria Line train. Doors closed behind me when I boarded, but wrong end of platform at Oxford Circus was infuriating. Round to the Bakerloo south to Picc Circ (arrived fast, travelled slowly) then onto the Piccadilly to Leicester Square for a time of 41:42.

Conclusion: All right, but must wear appropriate clothes next time.