The Orange One's attempts

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
palkanetoijala31

Re: The Orange One's attempts

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

The Orange One wrote:I'm not the first to attempt the All Lines, but I might be the first to attempt it wearing two shirts, a jumper, a coat, a hat, a scarf and complete a Kakuro and a Codeword in the process.

I went to my start point of Farringdon, and waited for the right combination to come close together. Several trains passed before "Barking 1, Aldgate 2, Circle 4" came on the board, which would do me (Barking 0, Aldgate 4, Circle 9, seriously?). Rode round to Liverpool Street, where I ran down to the Central for a North Acton terminator, which I took to Bank. Ran down to the W&C onto a waiting train, which was much better than last time, where it pulled away as I arrived. Still took 2 minutes to go. Went down to Waterloo.

Ran out and down to the Northern Line, then to Embankment. Going nicely so far, then up the stairs to the Westbound platform...
Circle Line 2 min. I don't WANT the Circle!!! Have to let it go, then board the District Line. Down the stairs at Westminster onto a waiting Jubilee to Green F. Park (here the record just slipped away), then up to Oxford Circus on a Victoria Line train. Doors closed behind me when I boarded, but wrong end of platform at Oxford Circus was infuriating. Round to the Bakerloo south to Picc Circ (arrived fast, travelled slowly) then onto the Piccadilly to Leicester Square for a time of 41:42.

Conclusion: All right, but must wear appropriate clothes next time.
one thing hugo if u time it right and had the circle before the train u wanted at start its usually about the same time at westminster because u cut the corner so to speak.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Had a third attempt at ALC. Time of 40:25. Just missed a W&C, a District, a Bakerloo and a Piccadilly. Other subsurfaces were as expected, Central and Victoria were dive-ins, Jubilee was a Train Approaching and Northern was a 2 minute wait.

I will get that second place someday! Pretty sure the record is unbeatable, though.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Imbasa Challenge - Monday 16th July 2012 (from the archives)

The first remotely 'Tube Challenge-like' event I took part in was very loosely based on the Random 15 style (though I'm almost certain it wasn't inspired by the challengers here) to raise money for Imbasa School in South Africa - it was an event put on by the school. Six random stations starting with the letters I, M, B, A, S and A were picked, so it was a random 6 in a way. Six specific landmarks had to be visited nearby and photographed - the stations were just a handy extra guide. We were to start and finish at a remote spot on the Camden Road.

Upon opening the envelope, the following stations were revealed:
  1. Highbury and Islington - take photo outside the station
  • Marble Arch - take a photo with the arch
  • Barbican - take a photo outside the Museum of London
  • Arsenal - take a photo with the cannons outside the Emirates Stadium
  • St. Paul's - take photo outside the front steps of the cathedral
  • Angel - take a photo by the Angel statue in the shopping centre
Everyone else dashed down to Camden Road station, while me and my teammate Liam went for the 29 bus towards the Emirates. Neither of us had ever been, but once we reached Hornsey Road, it was pretty easy to see where it was. Taking the photo, it was over the top of a deserted stadium and muddling our way to Arsenal, watching the Northern City line trains pass us by (aggravating as we were heading to Highbury and Islington). Into the station, one stop north to Finsbury Park and a sexy change - something like 40 seconds - to the Victoria to Highbury and Islington. While taking the picture outside the station, one of our competitors (Fred) came flying past the front of the station, taking a picture as he went - it seemed like he'd run from Holloway or something!

Past the roundabout and onto a number 43 down to Angel, which was fast, then a picture by the statue. No sign of either a 4 or a 56 put us back onto the underground, hopping onto the Northern Line for the two stops to Moorgate. We surfaced at Moorgate, then ran down several overhead walkways to arrive at the Museum of London (Barbican snap), where we met some people, who had only Marble Arch left to go. Rushing down to St. Paul's, we went round to the front of to the cathedral, took the photo on the steps, then it was down onto the Central Line for the run to Marble Arch. Getting up to the surface, we took a picture from afar from just outside the entrance, before dashing back down. We knew our competitors were ahead of us, but they'd planned to head back via Tottenham Court Road on the Northern. We switched to the Victoria Line at Oxford Circus to head to Warren Street, where we came up to the surface to get hold of a 29 bus to take us back up to our finish point on Camden Road. Liam gave up at this point, but the move paid off in a way, and we beat those specific competitors.

Unfortunately, a load of teams split up (that particular loophole was not covered) and beat us. But this was how it began for me...
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I was originally going to attempt the London Overground Challenge today, but as I stayed up until half past midnight last night/this morning, a 5am rise looked a lot less interesting. My route is set to go on Tuesday now in a last ditch attempt to get hold of another record.

The problem was that this morning I was all hyped up to break some alternative challenge record. I don't want to take the Zone 1 back just yet, and anyway I wanted something nice and long - there was one option that jumped out at me. I went out and attempted the Points of the Compass challenge. I also did it on Oyster, because my route is Oyster friendly.

I started at Mill Hill East easily enough, just before 11am, and a 9 second change at Finchley Central followed by a 1 minute reverse at West Finchley set a nice tone for the day, and I passed through East Finchley without note, except the train in Platform 2. This all changed when I headed up to the Thameslink platforms at Kentish Town to be greeted with a 10 minute wait! I watched fast services rush through as the clock painfully ticked on, but the service arrived on time and whisked me off to West Hampstead Thameslink, from whence I ran to West Hampstead. The Jubilee Line out of there was slow, and no less than three Metropolitan line trains overtook on the run up to Wembley Park. I should have doubled back at Finchley Road, but could not be bothered. Upon reaching Wembley Park, I ran down Brook Avenue for the 245 bus to North Wembley, but upon reaching the end there was gridlock, and my right leg was starting to ache for some reason - maybe running across all the tactile paving wasn't such a great idea, so I speed-limped across to North Wembley, which took me about 10 minutes, but still faster than any vehicle on that road.

From North Wembley I picked up the Bakerloo line to Kenton (via South Kenton), where a number H10 bus saved me the Northwick Park run (lazy me!). Upon reaching Northwick Park, I just missed a Watford train, so took the next train and changed at Harrow-on-the-Hill for North Harrow. Reversed there pretty slowly back to HotH, but changed reasonably quickly to an Uxbridge train to Rayners Lane (via West Harrow; another run I wasn't going to do). At Rayners Lane, double-backed South Harrow, waited at Rayners Lane once more (terminator), then continued to Ruislip for the run to West Ruislip. This run was actually OK, did it in about 8 minutes, then a 4 minute wait for the next Central Line train to (and beyond) East Acton, calling at among other places South Ruislip and North Acton. Really quick reverse at East Acton onto an Ealing Broadway train to West Acton, where I ran to North Ealing.

I did this in about 3 and a half minutes, but to no avail; 10 minute wait at North Ealing allowed me to drink some water and do the puzzles in the Metro. Next train to Acton Town and then a fast reverse onto a Heathrow loop train, which I took via South Ealing and Hounslow East to Hounslow West. Had to do the touch out touch in at Hounslow West, but a 3 minute wait meant this was fine. Crawled back up the line as time ticked on to Acton Town, where upon arrival in Platform 3 (on the right) there was another Piccadilly line train in Platform 4 (on the left). When the doors opened I went to stand in the middle, which one will go first, which one... left one's beeping, board the left one, yes, Epic Tube Win! Got me a District up at Hammersmith, too. Down via West Kensington to South Kensington, reversed onto a District to Earl's Court where yet another swift cross platform put me onto a ready to depart Wimbleware right down to Wimbledon, via West Brompton and East Putney. Now the horribleness of the Piccadilly Line and the messing about round Harrow was over, I was really starting to enjoy the challenge. It's really quite a nice one, very much about outer London!

At Wimbledon, there were two number 93 buses to shuttle me to South Wimbledon. By this point, my Oyster card had capped at £11.70, but after slow progress earlier on I was picking up stations like crazy! Boarded the second of the two 93s, as is my rule of thumb about two buses at once. It didn't overtake, but that was fine, because it stopped closer to the station being behind the one in front, of course! Ran down to platform level, boarded next northbound train via Clapham South and Clapham North to Elephant and Castle, where I jumped onto a ready to depart Bakerloo to Embankment via Lambeth North. By this point I was really happy about my progress, so I put my headphones on and played some uplifting music (read: the Superman theme).

Embankment and I boarded an S7 to Upminster for the long haul out to Mile End to tick off Aldgate East. Then, disaster - as we approached Mile End, "The Central Line currently has severe delays due to a person under a train at Mile End". Whoops. Checked platform quickly to see if any sign of Central Line. No sign, so straight back onto S7 to make the long haul to Mile End an extremely long haul out to Dagenham East, also ticking off West Ham and East Ham. Reverse at Dagenham East, doing the tapping in and out thing because penalty fares and reached platform level. 1 minute for Richmond train, which I took to Barking, hoping to switch there onto a c2c. Pulled into platform, c2c on cross platform left as doors opened. c2c on Grays platforms does not call at West Ham, so stayed on District Line train all the way to West Ham. By this time, I've just got 40 minutes on the clock and North Greenwich and South Woodford left. Oh, and the Central Line was still up sh*t creek without a paddle. Fun.

Down to the Jubilee Line platforms and onto a westbound service down to North Greenwich. Heading back to Stratford from there, the train was packed to the rafters - many poor Central Line refugees, methought. I crammed into the front at the left, though many others didn't manage to board the first service, fingers crossed our Stratford platform would be 13 or 15 and I would thus be the first one off. Well, we got Platform 15 so I was at the front of the horde towards the Central Line's eastbound platforms. Incidentally, Stratford station already has signs up directing you to TfL Rail's new platforms and I declare a first sighting of the purple roundels of TfL Rail! But anyway... the Last Battle.

20 minutes to go before the record is lost to me. Reached Platform 6 to find ~500 people waiting for eastbound train. Newbury Park service arrives, but I have no chance of boarding. Another 5 minutes and Leytonstone service turns up. I cram myself onto the edge of the doorway, nearly get my head lopped off by closing doors but a nice lady on the train grabbed me by the scruff of the neck and held me on board as the doors closed. Upon further consideration of my predicament, I bailed the Leytonstone service at Leyton, rationalising that as the service was terminating in Platform 2 (the on-train announcement said so), any trains to Epping from Leytonstone must depart from Platform 3, and hence must have passed through Leyton, and as the Newbury Park service came before us there's no chance of an Epping branch service sitting in the platform at Leytonstone. This turned out to be a wise choice, as the trains tend to clear at Leyton in the evening peak. I hopped on the next service, a Loughton service, and reached South Woodford with a final time of 06:52:48.

At the time, I could happily say my proudest achievement was to get from Stratford to South Woodford in 20 minutes!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

London Overground Challenge! Finally. This is the With Battersea Park version, by the way.

A 5am alarm clock meant I was awake and ready to head off by half 5, and a short ride on one of the first Victoria Line trains of the day followed by a Southern service got me to Battersea Park in plenty of time, so I went to have a look around. I've decided I rather like the station.

Started on the 0618 from Battersea Park, went to Queens Road Peckham from there. Because of ELL timings at Surrey Quays, I bailed at QRP for a 171+53 buses combo down to New Cross, where I boarded the just arrived train for the one stop up to Surrey Quays. New Cross is an absolute pain in the neck! At Surrey Quays, headed over for a West Croydon service, which I took to Sydenham, then followed it up with a Crystal Palace service. At Crystal Palace, despite conflicting information from the website, the Crystal Palace Park WAS open, so I took a shortcut through here, and even though I got lost when I came out onto Crystal Palace Park Road, a passing passerby pointed me towards Penge West, where I was easily within time for the next service down to West Croydon.

At West Croydon, I went over the top and almost straight onto a Southern service (reasonably packed, this was rush hour) calling at Norwood Junction then fast to London Bridge. I could have headed for East Croydon to get up a few minutes, but the connection was not certain in my mind so I went for the least risky option. Arrived at London Bridge a minute late, but I pelted down into the bowels of the tube station and, despite slow walking commuters clogging up the escalator, made the service I was hoping for. Headed to Canada Water and then knocked off the East London Line up to Canonbury.

At Canonbury, I picked up the North London Line. Aah, much better. The NLL speeded me across to Stratford, where I missed a Jubilee Line train by seconds. At West Ham, the c2c seemed to have gone down the drain, but the District Line was still fine, and that was on my plan, so I took that to Barking. Cross platformed onto the GOBLIN, then rode the entire length to Gospel Oak, where an electric train waiting on the eastbound platform got me 8 minutes up. Win! Or so I thought...

Upon reaching Highbury and Islington, I headed down onto the Victoria Line down to Euston, where due to hitting the earlier train, I actually arrived at the right time for a slow service. I touched in with my Oyster so as to cover Watford Junction with a valid ticket. The unit in question was hiding behind a London Midland 350. Sneaky tricks, Euston. Boarded it for the long haul up to Watford Junction, and did the sudokus in the Metro. Then, of course, I discovered what a bad idea it had been to take the slow train first. When I arrived at Watford Junction, I managed to meet a 13 minute wait for the next (of ANY type) train southbound. THIRTEEN! This is what comes from improvisation, everyone.

This thirteen minute wait had completely destroyed any lead I might have got, and every second felt like the record was slipping away. I knew that when I reached Euston I would end up 10 minutes behind schedule. Time for some frantic replanning. Luckily, the stopping pattern of the next southbound train was exactly what I needed to claw back time - it would be making a Wembley Central call. Perfect. Took the next southbound train down to Wembley Central; ran over to the Bakerloo Line for a perfectly timed 1972 Stock down to Willesden Junction - this really thundered down the DC Lines, so unlike the Overground - touched out at Willesden Junction then continued to the high level platforms. 8 minute wait for a Clapham Junction, 8 minute wait for a Stratford. Christ almighty. Luckily, Willesden Junction station has Overground timetables, unlike Watford Junction, so I worked out a plan with the help of a PSA with internet access.

Boarded the Clapham Junction service, which proceeded to wait for ages at both Willesden Junction and Shepherd's Bush. Luckily, the driver decided after that he would be fine to hurry, and we arrived at Clapham Junction 3 minutes ahead of schedule - enough time for me to hop on what would have been a 0 minute connection onto a SWT 450. Then came the announcement on board the train - "As this is a Standard Class only service, you can sit in any seat on the train, including the First Class seats". Hahaha, guess where I was sitting for the 10 minute ride down to Richmond? At Richmond, I missed an Overground train by seconds. Considered taking the District Line to Gunnersbury, a bit of a fool's move because I can't see an Overground train reversing at Gunnersbury for my convenience. Ultimately, the next train being in Platform 3 made up my mind, and I waited for the electric train up to Hampstead Heath. Due to the timetablings, I knew this was going to be tight, and there was a heartstopping moment when some idiot at Brondesbury Park got something stuck in the door, but that was quickly resolved and we arrived at Hampstead Heath, where I stopped the watch with 06:38:51 on the clock.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I would like to submit a claim for the DLR Record. I have a new time of 01:53:53.

I started at Lewisham, finished at Shadwell, you can probably guess my route. In addition to using the DLR to visit the stations, I used one bus and one sub surface train.
agerj001
Zone 1

Post by agerj001 »

Callum Liston from my tube challenge team is going to have another attempt at he DLR challenge to get the fastest time again.
Josh Ageros
Managing Director - RailRiders

"This station has step free access" - YES!!!!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Zones 1&2 Challenge attempt - A Tale of THREE Olympia Trains and an MP3 player (record broken)

tl;dr

East Putney :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: Turnham Green :arrow: Hammersmith :arrow: Baker Street :arrow: Willesden Junction :arrow: North Acton :arrow: Notting Hill Gate :arrow: Bayswater :arrow: Queensway :arrow: Holborn :arrow: Manor House :arrow: Finsbury Park :arrow: Highbury and Islington... oops! :arrow: King's Cross St Pancras :arrow: Old Street :arrow: Archway :arrow: Goodge Street :arrow: Camden Town :arrow: Hampstead :arrow: Finchley Road :arrow: Willesden Green :arrow: Baker Street :arrow: Regent's Park :arrow: Great Portland Street :arrow: Liverpool Street :arrow: Bethnal Green :arrow: Holborn :arrow: Piccadilly Circus :arrow: Elephant and Castle :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: Southwark :arrow: West Ham :arrow: Aldgate East :arrow: Aldgate :arrow: High Street Kensington :arrow: Kensington Olympia (by bus) :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: Green Park :arrow: Brixton :arrow: Stockwell :arrow: Kennington :arrow: Clapham South in a time of 06:51:21.

Full Account

I resuscitate this thread to announce I have once more proceeded underground to get a soon-expiring record. Today, I attempted the Zones 1&2 challenge, an alternative that hasn't been attempted since 2008. Armed with a new but untimetabled route, knowledge of the times of Olympia trains, a stopwatch and an MP3 player full of randomly shuffled music, I proceeded out to the deep, dark realm of East Putney, where I began.

Not before long, I reached Earl's Court, where I had a 2 minute connection for an Olympia train. I hopped over to the other platform, where a member of staff was explaining that the Olympia train was cancelled, and that it would be faster to hop on a bus! NOOOOO! Rallying, I hopped aboard a Richmond-bound District Line service, figuring that I would have to be back to get High Street Kensington later and that it would be better to let the service recuperate. At Turnham Green I had a ~2 minute turnaround, during which I reset my Oyster. The Oyster cap for Zones 1&2 is £6.40 (and Z1-3 is £7.50), so I could hopefully avoid paying the full £12.00.

Got to Hammersmith reasonably quickly, ran across to the other Hammersmith, triple-checked the next train board before boarding the train in Platform 3, went to Baker Street, quickly went down and boarded a northbound Bakerloo (Queen's Park, WHY MUST YOU DO THIS), and made it to Willesden Junction for a 6 minute wait for a 266 bus. I almost ran but then I remembered that the gradient is a lovely V shape. The 266 bus got me there relatively quickly and it was down to the Central Line.

As I passed Shepherd's Bush, I considered taking the Overground to try and get Ken Oly out of the way, but decided against this. At Notting Hill Gate, I discovered I made the right decision (broken down freight train on WLL) as I waited to get the pain in the neck that is Bayswater. Back on the Central Line at Queensway, and some distance through my MP3 tracks, the Star Wars Imperial March started playing as I got off at Holborn. Never has a line change been so awesomely scored to music, but it was onto the Piccadilly Line up to Manor House. Turned round at Manor House very slickly to The Underground Can-Can, just missed a Victoria Line train at Finsbury Park, got off at Highbury and Islington to get the Great Northern City Line that now runs at weekends.

Next train is the 13 past. It's 17 past, it's probably late and will be here shortly. Afraid not, it's a 56 minute wait, which for a 'service' is about as silly as that cancelled Olympia train. Back onto the Victoria Line it is, switch at Cross Kancras Saint Pings onto the Northern Line, go to Old Street. Turn around, go to Archway. Turn around, go to Goodge Street. Turn around, go to Hampstead (via Camden Town), thoroughly sick of the Northern Line by now. Up in a really fast lift and a lovely downhill run down to Finchley Road. Onto the Jubilee Line, up to Willesden Green, back down to Baker Street, get Regent's Park out of the way. Up to the surface in a pretty slow lift, run to Great Portland Street, Barking train in 1 minute, that will do nicely!

Down to Liverpool Street really quite quickly to the Great Escape, onto the Central Line. It takes a REALLY long time to get to Bethnal Green, but the turnaround there is swift and it's back to Holborn for a second change of lines, this time not nearly scored as well. The only reason I'm changing twice there instead of not at all is so that I could do Hampstead to Finchley Road downhill, but it's onto the Piccadilly Line to Piccadilly Circus, where I have a 4 minute wait for a southbound Bakerloo. Grrr. Thankfully the train pulls in to the climax of the 1812 Overture, which is really quite cool. Down to Elephant and Castle, up to London Bridge, to Southwark, out to West Ham. My Oyster's really running out of time now so it's out and in at West Ham, then up to the District Line for an Ealing Broadway train that was advertised to Richmond. Well done West Ham.

Man gets on at Bow Road, stares at me. Doesn't respond to Diamond Geezer; never mind, I'll track him down some day. Off at Aldgate East for the Aldgate run, which is scored to the theme tune from The Incredibles, which is almost as awesome as the Imperial Holborn March. At Aldgate, I stagger through the closing doors onto a waiting Circle Line service, and head round to High Street Kensington, where I just miss an Olympia train. AARGHGHGH! I head to the surface and hop aboard a handy number 10 bus, which shuttles me down to Kensington Olympia nice and fast and I board the train which is waiting there in the platform. Perfect!

I've only got 12 stations to go (not including Ken Oly), so it's down to the Piccadilly Line at Earl's Court to knock off my last remaining stations on that line. I get to Green Park, quickly onto a Victoria Line service to Brixton, sexy change onto another one heading back to Stockwell, up to Kennington and down to Clapham South for a time of 06:51:21. Not bad when you consider there were two missed Olympia trains! Headed home to various end credit musics from Harry Potter, which is lovely.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Zone 1 Challenge - Attempt Number Eight (several hiccups)

Previously:
Attempt One
Attempt Two
Attempt Three
Attempt Four
Attempt Five (secret)
Attempt Six
Attempt Seven

It's not as if anyone really reads these, is it? Here's my report then, in detail.

So, today I made my way down to Vauxhall to try and reclaim my Zone 1 Challenge Record. It was a reasonably pleasant early afternoon, and the sun was shining on a dark and mysterious area (the SIS). I wandered down to the platforms, hit go on the stopwatch as the doors closed, and I was off.

Sexy change at Victoria, then first hiccup occurred at Sloane Square. I missed a train by seconds, but not to worry, another one coming in a minute. Sure enough, an Upminster train appeared shortly, and I hopped aboard. Decent change at Westminster, then second hiccup at London Bridge. 2 minutes for Northern Line. Not too bad, I reassured myself. Down to Elephant and Castle and hiccup number 3 - just missed a Bakerloo Line by seconds. Sat aboard the next train out, waiting and waiting. Finally, we get the green light, but my projected final time was not looking too good.

Charing Cross, and hiccup number 4. I crossed over to the southbound Bakerloo platform, where the next train was marked as 0 minutes, and train approaching. It sat like that for a while, then ticked UP to 1 minute. All the rest of the trains remained at the same times they were previously. "Something has happened to time..."

When the train arrived, I forgot this for a moment. Arriving at Embankment, I charged up to the platforms to find... a District Line leaving. Woohoo, hiccup number 5. Another one appeared in a minute, but there's a school trip at the back. I had to listen to them blaring on and on until Aldgate East, where I took my leave. I'd seen a Met Line train in the platform as we passed Aldgate, and judging by how far behind us the next Circle was, I had about 1½ minutes to get on board. First piece of luck since Victoria - I made it!!

Changed at Liverpool Street for the Central Line. As I waited for the train (not too long), I put on my MP3 soundtracks. This had the rather energising effect that upon my arrival at Chancery Lane, All The Strange Strange Creatures started playing. Yes!! Double yes was that there's a bench at Farringdon directly by my door position, though I only had 30 seconds to sit on it. Off to Moorgate and onto the Northern Line (mediocre change), I started to claw back some time.

Switched at King's Cross St Pancras onto the Piccadilly Line. Another 2 minute wait!! Thankfully the driver hit the metaphorical gas pedal and I clawed back even more time, then the greatest win of all: Edgware Road service, arriving in Platform 1 :shock: , as I reached District Line level. Off to Bayswater in very high spirits, but I didn't have much time left (reached the 2 hour mark at Queensway).

Ran up the road to Queensway. Clattered down the spiral stairs only to find a buggy and its family blocking my path. Crawled behind the buggy to the bottom of the normal stairs to find a train leaving. Looked at the board. 17 minutes to next train. Swore profusely. 17 minutes suddenly became 1 minute - what is wrong with you today TfL? Boarded train, got out at TCR. Ran to Northern Line. 3 minute wait. It's not looking too great now.

3 minutes was definitely 4 minutes, but I finally got on the move. Got to Euston to do the run across to Euston Square. Got to Euston Square, train pulling in. Yes... or not - it was a Watford semi-fast! Checked the board - Hammersmith service following 3 minutes behind, but I was running out of time to get the record - in fact, waiting for that would probably have cost me it. But I had one final trick up my sleeve...

Bailed at Great Portland Street. No way was I waiting for that Hammersmith service. Sprinted down the road to Regent's Park station, in the hope that I could pick up the Bakerloo first. Unfortunately, buggy syndrome struck again, and I lost yet another train!! Waited the 2 minutes for the next one, which thankfully rushed up to Paddington pretty quickly. With around 2 hours and 31 minutes on the clock, I knew this last bit would have to go perfectly. Charged along the taxi rank to the H&C station, where I saw a flood of people heading up the stairs. Straight through the barriers, down the stairs and through the closing doors of the Hammersmith and City Line train on the platform at 2:34:03. There was nothing more I could do. I was in the arms of fate - could my train get me the one stop to Edgware Road in time to take the record?

By literally a margin of 1 second, yes it could. 02:36:29 for Vauxhall to Edgware Road Circle, everyone.
Last edited by The Orange One on 10 Feb 2016, 18:23, edited 2 times in total.
DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

The Orange One wrote:It's not as if anyone really reads these, is it?
I find them fascinating - thanks for sharing !
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I've only just found the thread - I'll have a closer peruse (map in hand) when I've got more time, but looks very interesting, one report in particular! Thanks for posting!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

The Orange One wrote:... Pretty sure the record is unbeatable, though.
I think I have a route that beats it by 2 minutes!
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Tube Geek wrote:
Have you given yourself interchange time? 11 trains on different lines in 33 minutes, including the Waterloo and City, is a tough ask even at the best of times!
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

The Orange One wrote:
Tube Geek wrote:
Have you given yourself interchange time? 11 trains on different lines in 33 minutes, including the Waterloo and City, is a tough ask even at the best of times!
I did add on a minute or two on long interchanges (Picc - Victoria at Green Park, Northern - Bakerloo at Charing Cross), but forgot to on others. So, if it is a record, it will only be by a few seconds really!
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
JBA
Zone 1

Post by JBA »

Tube Geek wrote:
The Orange One wrote:
Tube Geek wrote:
I did add on a minute or two on long interchanges (Picc - Victoria at Green Park, Northern - Bakerloo at Charing Cross), but forgot to on others. So, if it is a record, it will only be by a few seconds really!
This challenge is hard, it's something that Ollie wants the team to attempt. My predecesor achieved a good time of 37 minutes, but he can RUN and I mean RUN. But RailRiders are having a challenge day soon, and we will be attempting this at least twice, our route brings in around 38 mins.
Josh Nichols-Ageros
Tube challenging since 2014

Croydon Tramlink Record holder - 01:35:15

"Life's like a Victoria Line train to seven sisters..."