The All-Tube Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Brock
Zone 1

The All-Tube Challenge

Post by Brock »

I suppose this is the polar opposite of the Anti-Tube Challenge!

Has anyone ever attempted a challenge under the constraint that one has to arrive and depart all stations (apart from the first and last) by scheduled Tube train? No other public transport is allowed, and the only time you can use your feet is when changing trains within the station complex; leaving a station on foot is forbidden. So for instance when you got to Hammersmith (H&C/Circle) you'd have no option but to turn round and go back again. There'd be a lot more doubling back than on the conventional challenge, obviously.

Any guesses at how long this would be likely to take?
nozzacook
All Zones

Re: The All-Tube Challenge

Post by nozzacook »

You would need two days to complete using this idea.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

If you did this on a weekday, imagine Olympia. No morning trains for you!
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Would you also class this as doing every bit of track say for example between preston road and Wembley park?
Brock
Zone 1

Post by Brock »

There's no reason why you'd need to use every bit of track. This challenge is still about visiting stations rather than lines - it's just that the definition of "visit" is rather stricter.

But I agree that Olympia would be effectively impossible on a normal weekday.
palkanetoijala31

ok I think my route for this would be the same Chesham start :arrow: chalfont :arrow: amersham :arrow: moor park :arrow: watford :arrow: preston road :arrow: uxbridge :arrow: rayners lane :arrow: acton town :arrow: t4 :arrow: t123 :arrow: t5 :arrow: acton town :arrow: Chiswick park :arrow: Turnham green :arrow: richmond :arrow: earls court :arrow: wimbledon :arrow: notting hill gate :arrow: ealing broadway or west Ruislip reverse :arrow: north acton :arrow: west Ruislip or ealing broadway reverse :arrow: notting hill gate :arrow: Edgware road :arrow: hammersmith h & c :arrow: paddington :arrow: harrow & whealdstone :arrow: baker street :arrow: stanmore :arrow: Wembley park :arrow: Euston square :arrow: baker street :arrow: oxford circus :arrow: queensway :arrow: bond street :arrow: green park :arrow: brixton :arrow: stockwell :arrow: morden :arrow: kennington :arrow: borough :arrow: elephant & castle :arrow: charing cross :arrow: embankment :arrow: earls court :arrow: Kensington Olympia hopefully around the time needed? :arrow: earls court :arrow: Leicester square :arrow: edgware :arrow: Camden town :arrow: Finchley central :arrow: mill hill east :arrow: high barnet :arrow: Camden town :arrow: moorgate :arrow: kings cross :arrow: walthamstow :arrow: Finsbury park :arrow: cockfosters :arrow: covent garden :arrow: holborn :arrow: Liverpool street :arrow: aldgate :arrow: Liverpool street :arrow: mile end :arrow: upminster :arrow: st james park :arrow: westminster :arrow: stratford :arrow: south woodford or Hainault which ever comes first and db Snaresbrook if hainault :arrow: woodford :arrow: epping finish

I think that covers the lot?
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

You've gone Hammersmith H&C :arrow: Paddington :arrow: Harrow and Wealdstone.

Not possible without out of station interchange.
palkanetoijala31

The Orange One wrote:You've gone Hammersmith H&C :arrow: Paddington :arrow: Harrow and Wealdstone.

you can run through the station platforms cant you? if that was the case I just have to continue onto baker street and go back a bit more?
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Brock wrote:There's no reason why you'd need to use every bit of track. This challenge is still about visiting stations rather than lines - it's just that the definition of "visit" is rather stricter.

But I agree that Olympia would be effectively impossible on a normal weekday.
You would just have to start there, that's all. A bit inefficient though!
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
The Orange One wrote:You've gone Hammersmith H&C :arrow: Paddington :arrow: Harrow and Wealdstone.

you can run through the station platforms cant you? if that was the case I just have to continue onto baker street and go back a bit more?
You've got to run from Paddington (H&C) to Paddington (Bak/Cir/Dis) - we're dealing with two separate stations here. I remember back when I didn't know - I tried to interchange from H&C to Bakerloo. It was horrible when I found out.
palkanetoijala31

Timetabling it all through with a minimum 2 min change at all changes and a slight twist to route so Kensington Olympia is made at correct time I can make 05:15 to a finish at Upminster instead 08:28 next day
palkanetoijala31

I think in my route its a hell of a wait for the harrow & whealdstone train anyway so I think I could continue to baker street anyway
Brock
Zone 1

Post by Brock »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Timetabling it all through with a minimum 2 min change at all changes and a slight twist to route so Kensington Olympia is made at correct time I can make 05:15 to a finish at Upminster instead 08:28 next day
If the attempt has to be split over two days, wouldn't it make more sense to start later in the day when there are more trains?

Are passengers allowed to stay in Underground stations overnight anyway? Maybe the whole thing is impossible as stated.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Do it on New Years Eve when the tube runs all night.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
palkanetoijala31

I was going to say that be a really good way to celebrate and only time drink is allowed on Tube