R15 Championship 2012/13: Round 6

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: R15 Championship 2012/13: Round 6

Post by tractakid »

I like the concept of persevering through troubles, and I worry that an absolute time limit can prevent a completion when someone really wants to complete. I think a four hour figure could be useful though. I reckon if someone aborts before this time, they should not receive any points, but if someone aborts after this point, they should be entitled to points. Equally, a completion over 4 hours should be treated just like a completion under 4 hours.

These are my thoughts.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

So I still would have had a point even under Tangy rules? Although my route was awful, was it beyond my control?
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

hopeful traveller wrote:So I still would have had a point even under Tangy rules? Although my route was awful, was it beyond my control?
The trains failed you, the wasted time spent on the circle line, that is not your fault (just bad timing to hit that section when it went wrong). I am sure without those delays you would have reached Camden in the time allowed.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

So away we went at 12:30:00 from Clapham South. Did not even tear open the envelope until I was on the train heading north. Lambeth North was an obvious choice in my mind, so along with most others changed at Elephant onto the Bakerloo. My next move was to head to Bank, so bailed at Waterloo onto the JLE to go via London Bridge to Bank (totally forgetting about the Drain option), though on the plus side it did give me an easier Bank- Monument change. Didn't cost me any time as I reunited with the others.

Onwards to Whitechapel and my thoughts then turned to how to get to Holloway Road, the ELL was the answer (though as is usual for me, the train pulling in was for the wrong destination). So upon arriving at Dalston Juntion, Andi decided to run to Kingsland to try and get ahead to Highbury. The next through ELL train left slightly early and thus came side by side at Canonbury, so Andi only got ahead by about 20 seconds!

Upon running out of Highbury, immediately saw a 393 bus sitting at the stop so me, Andi and Glen all bailed onto it, we thought we got ahead of Kev (and others) but a poor Northern line connection at KX meant they caught up! Up to Camden and switch back south to Warren Street, me and Andi here had differing ideas as he ran to GPS whilst I carried onto Regent's Park.

I did Warwick Avenue first followed by the now customary Royal Oak run but for once to board an eastbound train one stop to Padd H&C, with Peter and Rhys. I had the idea of running to Lancaster Gate as did Peter but Rhys was heading to Warwick Avenue?! Surely for Warwick Avenue you bail at Royal Oak!

Reunited at Lancaster Gate with Andi (and Peter) where we all went to East Acton and double back, joined by Kev and A2 on the train back eastbound. Upon exiting White City already saw a westbound H&C rumble over Wood Lane bridge so wasn't a mad dash. The next westbound H&C was one of the new S stock, not just any S stock either but the specially decorated train for the Queen's celebrations named "Queen Elizabeth II". For the first time ever managed to get across the roads at Hammersmith in one go, rarity! Onto the Picc for the ride to South Ken and up to the District to finish at Sloane Square (along with Peter and Andi).
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

If the Royal Oak run were to be done, I would have missed Paddington H&C.
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

I've saw more people on the way round this challenge than I have in-progress on any other challenge.

Also the look on Glen's face when I was on the same Bakerloo line train towards Warwick Avenue as him was epic, although he was on his way to completion and I was on my way to getting lost. :D
- Andrew
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I think this R15 highlights what I have said many time about how the drain is visibly shown on the tube map as light blue and following the angle shown for the Thames about a cm below.... It just doesn't stand out and is easily missed / forgotten.....
I am sure that many thousands of people arriving at Waterloo have also had this issue, unless of course it's a cunning TfL plan to avoid overcrowding :shock:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

all these times now posted up on the Random 15 tab at Explorer Ticket. We (collectively) have done over 200 random 15 attempts between us.

Tangy.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

£5.10 back from TfL for all that happened to me. There is some good news in the world.

The other £3 comes from my struggle to get home.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

What they don't know is the silly reason you were riding the tube! Lol
hopeful traveller
All Zones

tractakid wrote:What they don't know is the silly reason you were riding the tube! Lol
They didn't ask for it! They asked "At which London Underground station did you start/intend to finish your journey?"

Start: Aldgate.
Intend to Finish: Finsbury Park.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

What about a FNC?

Tube Challenger: Excuse me TfL, why did your shoddy service take 16+ hours to get me from Chesham to Terminal 4?

TfL: Did you go via Rayners Lane or Hammersmith?

Tube Challenger: Both!

TfL: ...
hopeful traveller
All Zones

It's where my ticket entered the system. As I made more than one claim on the same ticket, I had to photocopy the ticket.

So it entered at Aldgate on the first claim and Bond Street on the second.