ZONE 1: MAY 19th, 2006

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

yep. david scard & ric brackenbury's team (can't remember the third name - sorry!) won by a stride with 2:51. next in line was steven karahan's duo with 3 hours.

there was a leeetle problem though, some twat decided to commit suicide at warren street around 3:30, which shut off the entire victoria line in zone 1 until just before half 4. so not everyone managed to visit every station.

oh and the funniest team name was "snow white and the seven sisters"...

more info later from someone who's got it i'm sure!
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
Nic
Zone 1

Post by Nic »

Hello! *waves around*

I still haven't slept yet..... but had excellent fun today! I will doubtlessly confuse people when I try to explain the concept of the Tube Challenge to them.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

My most vivid memory is a mad, horrible dash from Euston Square to Euston at about 3:38pm, followed by a six minute wait for a Northern line, followed by "the Victoria line is closed". Sigh. And don't anybody mention Bayswater. Or Earls Court.

If you're after times, then I sadly can only remember four of them:

2nd: Ummm ... some team name or other - 3:00'14"
5th: Team Needing Tardis - 3:18'43"
6th: I'd rather run than take the Circle line (me) - 3:18'44"
7th: Snow White and her lot - 3:21'00"

I'm sure the experts will give you all the rest! I'll write up my side of the story on my website sometime. If you like, you can see my route and times here:
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ma1jas/londonzone1.doc
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

"The Zone One-derers" - 3:29.55.

Oh yes, we beat the mighty 3h30m milestone. And that was not giving a shit about breaking any form of record - good job, 'cos we didn't come remotely close! Rock on(gar)!
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

myself and nic (the autistic and the bipolar) got 3:27:27.

i think stevens team were called "the chinese tube trotters"
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Team ******** made it round in a spectacular 2:51:54.

We had some superb connections, although all our problems were on the circle and district lines!

Full credit to David Scard for our route - I suggested a Vauxhall finish so I'm glad we chose his route instead!

Also worth saying that it would have been very close with Neil and Stephen had the Victoria line been running at the end for them - they would probably have edged us if they'd got lucky with their last connection.

Is anyone going to a proper write-up for a website? Geoff? For posterity's sake of course. Nothing whatsoever to do with the nice trophy on the shelf.
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

tpfkar wrote: Is anyone going to a proper write-up for a website? Geoff? For posterity's sake of course. Nothing whatsoever to do with the nice trophy on the shelf.
Wouldn't it be an idea if someone who was there did the write-up? :D
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Team Needing Tardis, myself Antony and Jamie Brown..all Tube Challenge virgins...
3hrs 18mins 43seconds, circular route(with 2 double backs) finishing at Pimilico, we were on schedule for around 3hrs 01 min but Vauxhall closed when we arrived in on BR due to previously mentioned "one under"...
Got bus from Vauxhall to Pimilco, just to say we had least been to all the stations, luckily Victoria line was back and running and we got first train back to Vauxhall......
Will try and post entire route at some stage.....
Guys great day, my legs are feeling it today, well done to Chris for superb organisation and choice of boozer :lol:

Hopefully Chris (or someone will post thread with all the teams, names and times)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
juice-rail
Zone 1

Post by juice-rail »

I still think that was good challenging by TNT on that quick decision to take a bus to Pimlico, just in case 'Vicky' re opened, which it eventualy did.

It's a shame it worked out the way it did for some teams there but hey sadly it happens. We've been quite lucky for the last two races it was only a matter of time before the network seriously messed it up for so many.

But never mind eh, good fun was had, new people involved, and a few drinks n'all 8)
Last edited by juice-rail on 21 May 2006, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
guess who has driven a piccadilly;-)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

CrunchySaviour wrote:
tubeguru wrote:I'll try to win it for you :-)

(I've got SK on my team now)
You two will be unstoppable!

Z - I will have 15 copies of the EP. The eleven or twelve remaining reservers will, of course, have first dibs upon them.
At the risk of sounding like I'm bemoaning my luck, we WOULD have either won or come a very close second had the Victoria line not closed 10 minutes before we reached it, with only one station to go.

In the end we were classified 14th with the rest of the losers.

I think I'll run that route again next year ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

tubeguru wrote:
CrunchySaviour wrote:
tubeguru wrote:I'll try to win it for you :-)

(I've got SK on my team now)
You two will be unstoppable!

Z - I will have 15 copies of the EP. The eleven or twelve remaining reservers will, of course, have first dibs upon them.
At the risk of sounding like I'm bemoaning my luck, we WOULD have either won or come a very close second had the Victoria line not closed 10 minutes before we reached it, with only one station to go.

In the end we were classified 14th with the rest of the losers.

I think I'll run that route again next year ...
I'm still gutted! So close to winning, yet thwarted by the Victoria being suspended with just one stop to go. We stopped the clock at 2:47 after cursing and swearing outside of the closed gates at Vauxhall. If we had waited less than 2mins for a Victoria Line train, then we would have won.

Still, congratulations to the winners who luckily for them did the Victoria Line earlier, and beat the second placed team by a very convincing margin! At the end of the day, a fair bit of luck is needed in the Z1 Challenge, and the winners had both good luck, and an excellent route.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Super-bad luck. Was looking to be a good day 'til that Warren Street business happened!

Has anyone uploaded any photos yet? I'd like to see them!
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

I'd particularly like to know if anybody got a photo of myself with the Underground Masker during his brief appearance....
Nic
Zone 1

Post by Nic »

Nutteronabus wrote:I'd particularly like to know if anybody got a photo of myself with the Underground Masker during his brief appearance....
I did, but it's probably v. bad quality due to me bringing the camera that would fit in my little bag.

I'm still jubilant at the fact that my slowness meant we made it to the end of the Victoria line.
Nic
Zone 1

Post by Nic »

Nutteronabus wrote:I'd particularly like to know if anybody got a photo of myself with the Underground Masker during his brief appearance....
I did, but it's probably v. bad quality due to me bringing the camera that would fit in my little bag.

I'm still jubilant at the fact that my slowness meant we made it to the end of the Victoria line.