ZONE 1: MAY 19th, 2006

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Since for some reason this thread is still sticky, I feel perfectly justified in bumping it and responding to Ric's Zone 1 exam paper. I realise that since it's late I'll only get a maximum of 40%, but never mind.

1)You are running to get your next train which you can see entering the platform. However there is a large crowd of Japanese tourists blocking your path. Explain how you would ensure that you and your team make the connection.
Get our costumes out of our bags, don them and pose as the Royal Family. Amid all the photography and excited chatter, we'd be guaranteed a red carpet welcome on to the train.

2)You are running at speed down an escalator, however one person as ever is standing on the left blocking your way. How would you deal with them if
a) they were an elderly lady
Move them gently out of the way.

b) they were a 6 foot 3 bouncer
Tap him on the left shoulder, the dodge around to his right. Since he's a bouncer he's likely to be slower than me. On being chased, use extensive knowledge of secret staircases to escape.

c) they were a Japanese tourist
Tell them that, just for today, all trains are running from street level.

d) they were another Zone one challenger.
Tell Kevin to get a move on.

3)Most of the way round the challenge, you find yourself caught short. You have a drinks bottle with you. Explain how you would deal with this crisis. You may find it helpful not to draw a diagram.
Not wanting any more to drink, I'd throw the bottle away. No point in exacerbating the situation. Then go around the rest of the route even quicker, using Earls Court McDonald's toilets as an incentive.

4)You are at Earls Court and ask the member of staff on the platform when the next Edgware Road train will be. He/she looks at you blankly. What techniques would you use to coax any useful information out of them?
Run to High Street Kensington.

Section B: Zone One Awareness

1)Given that LUL stated that Queensway would reopen in May, when do you anticipate it re-opening (to the nearest 6 months will be fine)?
Three months late

2)Which line is the least likely to be going anywhere fast on the Zone One day? And is that the Charing Cross branch or the Bank branch?
Both branches, and also all branches of the Circle line.

3)Given that the following have all happened to Ric on Tube Challenge atempts/Zone One Days, which is the most likely, and which the most serious?
a)bomb alert closing the station you're running to.
b)suspicious package causing train to sit around for 10 minutes before they decide some silly woman ahas left her handbag on the tube.
c)emergency cord being pulled, taking your train (and line) out of service.
d)trains terminating at the next station without warning.
d) is most likely and a) is the most serious.

Choose one of the above options, and explain what you would do if it happened on the challenge at a general location.
[Bonus credit: How much faster would Ric have been on Zone One last year without b) on his final train?]
Start again, unless it were c), in which case I'd go home. Ric would have been even faster without b), and would have got an even faster ******** time!

4)Is it faster to do the circle line clockwise or anticlockwise? How does this help inform a Zone One route?
Anticlockwise. It means that you plan a route, and then make sure that you do the Circle line bit in the correct direction.

5) Can you get round the whole system in 17h 10 mins? Have you?
Yes and no.

6)If a train is signed in 5 mins on the Central Line, and 5 mins on the Northern Line, which will arrive first, and on average by how much? (Answers in hours accepted)
Central line, but only by a few hours.

Section C: Challenging Aptitude
1)You get to Earls Court. There's nothing signed to Edgware Road. Someone on your team suggests running to High Street Kensington. What is your immediate reaction?
Nod enthusiastically and go for it.

2) Do you appreciate the shortcomings of the Way Out Map dealing with different stock on the Circle and District Lines? Could you care less?
No I do not appreciate them and yes I could care less!

3)Your ticket gets stuck in the machine as you go into a station. Do you urge your team-mates to go on or cry like a baby until the staff let you in?
Urge them to go on, and then tailgate them.

4)a)'Severe delays on the Piccadilly Line' Would this affect the route you choose?
No. My route would only use the Piccadilly line once and therefore I'd just hope for the best.

b)'Severe delays on the Piccadilly and Central Lines' Elaborate your answer further.
Ditto. But there are never delays on the Central line! The Central line is perfect.

c)'Severe delays on the Piccadilly and Central Lines, Metropolitan line suspended anywhere we want to go.' how would you deal with this?
Not use the Metropolitan line.

d)''Severe delays on the Piccadilly and Central Lines, Metropolitan line suspended anywhere we want to go, and the District line is part suspended because of leaves on the line/staff shortage/bad weather/signalling problems/trains on the line etc." Continue your answer.
Wait for Spring.

e)Now describe how you would change your route on a *bad* day.
Do a DLR instead.

Tie-breaker: Complete in 20 words or less:
I'd be perfect in Team tpfkar because.........
...I often plan his route for him!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

And on that note, it is no longer sticky ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Possibly the best tie-breaker answer :D

Consider yourself to have passed!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Starkey7 wrote:
Tell Kevin to get a move on.

Yes and no.

Ha ha I just noticed this post from last week...... :lol:

Well if I do ever manage to get in front of you then you are not getting past for a while as the passage ways probably aren't wide enough

Answer to question 5) is Yes on 17th Nov 2006 :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Garion
All Zones

Re: ZONE 1: MAY 19th, 2006

Post by Garion »

*sigh*...get him out of here TG :roll:
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Is there such a thing as a stupid robot?

1. Only one forum member lives in the USA.
2. What a random add, no one even mentioned San Diago!
3. Why target a topic from 7 years ago?
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

User deleted. I vactivated the account for him because I wasn't sure if he was foreign or not. I usually only activate people whose WHOIS info brings back a UK address. Anyone else is likely to be a spammer. But as spam is so rare on here, it's easy to spot when one does slip through.

Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Come on guys, back on topic now.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Yeah, 2006 Zone 1 only please.

Member of sweet FA
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Is it legit to use a party limo to transfer between Cockfosters and High Barnet, and is it covered on the zones 1-9 travel card?
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Aaaah happy memories my 1st challenge :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
jamesthegill
All Zones

Re:

Post by jamesthegill »

1)You are running to get your next train which you can see entering the platform. However there is a large crowd of Japanese tourists blocking your path. Explain how you would ensure that you and your team make the connection.
Shout loudly while pointing "look! Godzilla!"

2)You are running at speed down an escalator, however one person as ever is standing on the left blocking your way. How would you deal with them if
a) they were an elderly lady
Politely ask if they'd mind moving, please.

b) they were a 6 foot 3 bouncer
Ask him what motorbike he rides, then ask politely to squeeze past.

c) they were a Japanese tourist
Shout loudly while pointing "look! Godzilla!"

Tell them that you're on the last leg, then squeeze past their panicked look.

3)Most of the way round the challenge, you find yourself caught short. You have a drinks bottle with you. Explain how you would deal with this crisis. You may find it helpful not to draw a diagram.
Geofftech special in a quiet corner of Leicester Square tube station. No matter where I am on the network.

4)You are at Earls Court and ask the member of staff on the platform when the next Edgware Road train will be. He/she looks at you blankly. What techniques would you use to coax any useful information out of them?
Smile winningly, and repeat the question slower.

Section B: Zone One Awareness

1)Given that LUL stated that Queensway would reopen in May, when do you anticipate it re-opening (to the nearest 6 months will be fine)?
The same day as the Olympic Park reopens.

2)Which line is the least likely to be going anywhere fast on the Zone One day? And is that the Charing Cross branch or the Bank branch?
Victoria line from Victoria to Vauxhall.

3)Given that the following have all happened to Ric on Tube Challenge atempts/Zone One Days, which is the most likely, and which the most serious?
a)bomb alert closing the station you're running to.
b)suspicious package causing train to sit around for 10 minutes before they decide some silly woman ahas left her handbag on the tube.
c)emergency cord being pulled, taking your train (and line) out of service.
d)trains terminating at the next station without warning.
b)

Choose one of the above options, and explain what you would do if it happened on the challenge at a general location.
[Bonus credit: How much faster would Ric have been on Zone One last year without b) on his final train?]
d) Get out, and run!

4)Is it faster to do the circle line clockwise or anticlockwise? How does this help inform a Zone One route?
Clockwise, with a favourable train from Paddington.

Yes, and only by cheating.

6)If a train is signed in 5 mins on the Central Line, and 5 mins on the Northern Line, which will arrive first, and on average by how much? (Answers in hours accepted)
The 17:52 Ramsgate to Sheerness.

Section C: Challenging Aptitude
1)You get to Earls Court. There's nothing signed to Edgware Road. Someone on your team suggests running to High Street Kensington. What is your immediate reaction?
Collapse wheezing, and tell them to go on without me.

2) Do you appreciate the shortcomings of the Way Out Map dealing with different stock on the Circle and District Lines? Could you care less?
Until the Station Master app is available on a proper phone OS, it'll do.

3)Your ticket gets stuck in the machine as you go into a station. Do you urge your team-mates to go on or cry like a baby until the staff let you in?
Chivalrously let them go ahead, then tailgate. It's a problem for another station.

4)a)'Severe delays on the Piccadilly Line' Would this affect the route you choose?
No, there are other Art Deco stations that I can visit to pick up bonus points.

b)'Severe delays on the Piccadilly and Central Lines' Elaborate your answer further.
Quick rewrite, and hope for a sub 4 hour time.

c)'Severe delays on the Piccadilly and Central Lines, Metropolitan line suspended anywhere we want to go.' how would you deal with this?
Quick rewrite, and hope for a sub 5 hour time.

d)''Severe delays on the Piccadilly and Central Lines, Metropolitan line suspended anywhere we want to go, and the District line is part suspended because of leaves on the line/staff shortage/bad weather/signalling problems/trains on the line etc." Continue your answer.
Quick rewrite, and hope for a sub 4 week time.

e)Now describe how you would change your route on a *bad* day.
Starting station -> pub.

Tie-breaker: Complete in 20 words or less:
I'd be perfect in Team tpfkar because.........
I'm sexy and I know it.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.