An impromptu DLR Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Rhys1995
Zone 5

An impromptu DLR Challenge

Post by Rhys1995 »

Afternoon all! Anyone who saw my Facebook on Tuesday will know I did a DLR challenge solo. This was without prior planning (times and all that I didn't know), anyway the route I took was:

Bank > Monument
Monument > Tower Hill
Tower Hill > Tower Gateway
Tower Gateway > Beckton
Beckton > King George V (run)
KG V > Woolwich Arsenal
Woolwich Arsenal > Stratford International
Stratford International > Stratford
Stratford > Canary Wharf
Canary Wharf > Lewisham

Total time: 2 hours 17 minutes and 1.5 seconds

The write-up:
I decided on doing a DLR challenge as I was in London and thought 'What the hey why not give one a go?' so I scribbled down a mental route starting at Bank. On th day I had a pretty horrendous cold so I knew my stamina wouldn't be up to 100% (hey, excuses excuses I guess :wink: ) I arrived at Monument station to find I had 3 minutes to get myself down to Bank DLR and then back, and while on a DLR train (I boarded one), I started the stopwatch. I ran back to Monument to catch a train to Tower Hill, all simple so far. I caught my train, taking about 90 seconds to get from the DLR to Eastbound Monument, however the trains had other plans! Instead of it usually taking 1m45s to get into Tower Hill it took just over 4 minutes as we were held a red signal! Damn. After finally wheezing into Tower Hill I then shot off heading for Tower Gateway. After I got up to Tower Gateway I was subject to a 6 minute wait for my train to leave for Beckton, double damn. However once we set off it was a straightforward ride to Beckton.

Once I got to Beckton I had no idea how to get to King George V, and I considered double backing to Gallions Reach, and I had two minutes to make my mind up. However I did see some buses opposite the station. 'Hooray!' I thought, and attempted to do a tangy by catching a bus that would get me at least some of the way, if not all. I was not going to be as lucky as I got down to the bus stop only to find there were no buses heading in my direction, and in fact were heading to such places as East Ham and Goodmayes. In a state of panic I attempted to get back to Beckton, only to find that my train had literally just left. In the spur of the moment I headed back out of the station, whacked out 'Nokia Maps' and got a local map how to get to KG V by foot. I then set off on the 1.7 mile run, to get set back even more due to my reduced lung capacity because of my cold, meaning I probably spend a good 20 minutes running and walking to KG V.

Eventually I got there and threw myself onto the next Southbound train to Woolwich Arsenal, which worked wonders, and when I got to Woolwich Arsenal I managed a 0m turnover to head up to Stratford International. Great. Even better was the fact that I was on a direct train as well, meaning I didn't need to change at Canning Town, double great! After a plod up to Stratford International I had two choices, 1. Wait 6 minutes to turn around back to Stratford or 2. Chance it and run through Westfield Stratford, hoping it was quicker. I chose the latter and set off at full pelt. However, as this is half term there was plenty of traffic in Westfield! Oops. However this didn't stop me from running through, darting in and out of people like there was no tomorrow. After navigating labyrinth Westfield I found my way out at the station, and then hopped onto the DLR, heading for Lewisham, or so I thought... It appeared I was on the wrong platform as I was on Platform 17, whereas I was supposed to be on Platform 4. I still blame the signs for takig me the wrong way. After some darting to and fro I eventually found Platform 4, and then got myself onto the next train, Canary Wharf. Damn, or so I thought... After we reached West India Quay I saw a Lewisham train appear from below, pulling into Canary Wharf. Anxiety grew as the doors closed, and we plodded into Canary Wharf, once the doors opened I managed to just get the Lewisham train before the doors closed thus giving me a 0m turn at Canary Wharf, double win. After this it was down to Lewisham and hit 'Stop' on my stopwatch.

2h 17 I feel wasn't too bad considering I only had a rough idea where I was going and a pretty horrendous cold to keep me coughing and spluttering all the way.
Otherwise known as 'Action Jackson'.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: An impromptu DLR Challenge

Post by tractakid »

Invalid. You did not arrive or depart Bank by DLR.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Rhys1995
Zone 5

Post by Rhys1995 »

As I say, this was thought up quickly and I forgot about that, annoying really. Will be doing this again.
Otherwise known as 'Action Jackson'.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver