First run of the Posh Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

First run of the Posh Challenge

Post by tractakid »

Hi everyone- I am going to be organising a run of my newly invented 'Posh Challenge'. The event will take place in the next half term week, which is from Monday the 29th of October to Friday the 2nd of November. The challenge looks to be a long one, I just did a rough estimate that we could be looking at a circa 5 hour figure (just added some TFL journey times together), so the challenge must start at the latest in the afternoon, I feel, if we are to meet up afterward.

Here are the required stations: Manor House, Boston Manor, Ruislip Manor, Mansion House, Tottenham Court Road, Earls Court, Barons Court, Ravenscourt Park, Custom House for ExCeL, Limehouse, Ruislip Gardens, Kew Gardens, Island Gardens, Covent Garden, Crystal Palace, Elephant and Castle.

Rules: The stations must be visited using a Tube Train, a DLR train, or an Overground train, but similarly to the Full Network, the same tracks rule applies. To clarify, Kew Gardens naturally can be done by either Overground or Underground, Limehouse must be done by DLR, and Crystal Palace can be done using a National Rail train that uses the same tracks. I am uncertain, however, about precisely what would count at Crystal Palace, hazarding a guess (based on metro.carto) I would suggest trains from platforms 3, 4 and 5 are valid. If someone with knowledge of the station could clarify, this would be useful. I do not believe there is any potential confusion at any other station.

You may start from ANY station served by the Overground, Underground, or DLR, and you must start within a half hour time frame, the time of day which this will occur will be decided later. The time starts as the doors close at your preferred starting station.

Your last station may be any of the ones required for the challenge. The timer will stop as the doors open upon arrival at the station, or, if you arrived at the station by means which doesn't 'tick it off', (on foot, by another train service etc), as the doors open at the next called station after boarding the required train. As an example, if your last station was Limehouse, which you arrived to on national rail, you would have to board a DLR train to either Westferry or Shadwell, where the timer would stop.

Due to the vast distance (20+miles!) and potentially vast times (I'm competing) between each person or team finishing the challenge, it is strongly recommended that at least one member of each team carry a charged, credited mobile phone, so that they are contactable and are able to contact in order to get an estimated time of arrival to the meeting point. This is for organisational and courtesy purposes. As a large proportion of the challenge is overground, (only 5 of the stations lie below the surface), and as ending points (I predict) will be mostly overground, signal shouldn't be a problem late on in the challenge.

Unless there is a better suggestion, I reckon the Horse and Groom is a good, central meeting place for after the challenge. Unfortunately it may take around 50 minutes to travel to from your finishing station, alas, that is the nature of the stations involved in the challenge. You should shoot whoever decided to suggest the inclusion of Crystal Palace ;)

I think that covers most things. Please, please do comment to point out inconsistencies, loopholes, or things that need clarifying.

Which dates from the 29th to the 2nd are people available? From the other thread, I have read that GU may be able to do 30th to the 2nd, and that Rhys1995 may be able to attend. I imagine that I will be available for all the dates, but would possibly opt for midweek out of preference. I will also check with my parents that one of the days isn't already booked up, I do doubt it though.

Prize: I may provide a small prize and certificate :) (if I am feeling generous).
Last edited by tractakid on 24 Sep 2012, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Nigel
Zone 5

Re: First run of the Posh Challenge

Post by Nigel »

tractakid wrote: The event will take place in the next half term week, which is from Monday the 29th of November to Friday the 2nd of October.
:?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Nigel wrote:
tractakid wrote: The event will take place in the next half term week, which is from Monday the 29th of November to Friday the 2nd of October.
:?
So that gives us almost a year to find some free time?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Fixed.
scrxisi wrote:Using Richmond in the GWR rules as a basis, any train between Crystal Palace and Sydenham "counts" - make that the rule. They could depart from any of P3-6 but usually only 5 or 6.
Thanks scrxisi. I am assuming there are no fast trains that skip Sydenham?
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I am going to go ahead and suggest the date Wednesday, the 31st of October. This is flexible, but unless a large number of people that want to attend cannot do so on this day, it will be the case.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Be warned, he likes to shut the doors on peoples heads!!
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Depends if you're "sick" doesn't it ;)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Rhys1995
Zone 5

Post by Rhys1995 »

Count me in. Guess if we did it on the 31st October we could call it the 'Posh Halloween Challenge'. Or PHC, likey?
Otherwise known as 'Action Jackson'.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Yep should be good for this too..... :)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Rhys1995
Zone 5

Post by Rhys1995 »

Wahey! Another attendee :D all good.
Otherwise known as 'Action Jackson'.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I'm really not into any of the halloween business, its just a date that seemed to be convenient. I also like tube challenging on Wednesdays.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Sincere apologies to anyone intending to go via Hainault- i'm afraid you won't be able to.

What time of day would people prefer the challenge to begin?
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Bit late to the party here. Sorry!

Although it'll be closed for the inaugural challenge, shouldn't Grange Hill be included, seeing as posh people often live in granges?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

tractakid wrote:Sincere apologies to anyone intending to go via Hainault- i'm afraid you won't be able to.

What time of day would people prefer the challenge to begin?

Booo!! I would think maybe around midday to allow travel to chosen station (which at the moment I have no idea haven't even looked at the logistics) using off peak fare
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Ooh, what I usually do on one ticket I can do on 3 tickets for £1.50 less!

09:41 MKC arr 10:27 EUS £5 Advance
Off peak 1-6 travelcard £8.50
21:46 EUS arr 22:32 £5 Advance

However, for £20 (return + travelcard) I can leave earlier at 09:22 and can travel back as late as 01:34 theoretically! I will probably go for the flexible option considering it is only a small saving.

I can easily make it to my chosen starting station by 12:00. Shall I lock this in as the time that we begin? This would mean you would need to depart on an eligible train between 12:00 and 12:30. (An eligible train being any DLR, Tube, Overground train, or a NR train running on the same tracks as any of the above 3).