64%
Bad idea.
36%

Total votes: 14

CrunchySaviour
All Zones

The Ultimate Tube Challenge Planner

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Unfortunately it doesn't yet exist! It's an idea I've had.

Through the use of the "average journey times between stations" map (on Geofftech.co.uk), this Flash/Java/Shockwave applet would allow the user to graphically draw their route onto the Tube map by clicking the stations, and would then calculate an estimated time for the route.

Other connections (walking, bus, British Rail) would be included.

Average change times would be calculated by the user inputting the start time of the challenge, and applied automatically to any changes the user makes.

Runs between stations would be drawn from the "walkways between stations" map (on Geofftech). Buses could be added later following information contributions from users.

Finally, the route time would be calculated and a number of statistics shown alongside:

Total time on trains
Total time changing trains
Number of changes
Number of runs between stations
Number of stations passed though more than once

It could be pre-loaded with a number of routes for the user to draw inspiration from, or they could be left out so that they don't take all the fun out of route planning.

Many of these features could be added after the first release, especially the following:

Convert the route into a log-sheet form to allow the user to print it off and use it on their journey.
Save the fastest routes as a Top 10 on the website. (This may not be in the spirit of route secrecy)

Zone 1 Only would be a good place to start, because 65 stations is a lot less than 275.

So.... does anyone know how to make interactive Flash?!
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

The Tube map would be faded slightly, to allow the route (in a choice of Central red, Northern black, Piccadilly blue, Metropolitan magenta/burgundy, Parsons green, etc.) to be more apparent. Mousing over the station names or the station itself on the map would cause the text to be highlighted.

There would be a "backspace" button.

A couple of things for it to take into account during its calculations:

Time to exit station from the platform itself (or time to get to platform from entrance): These two wouldn't need researching that much: an average time would suffice, although a database could be created over time following contributions from challengers.

Duration of run between station entrances. This could be estimated from a "map" - ie. the relative positions of the station entrances put onto a grid, their coordinates put into a database, and the difference in coords converted into metres via a scale factor, and this figure changed into an estimated "crow flies" time, and/or a "pessimistic" time.

Problems it may encounter:
When no stations are selected, how would it know where to draw the route line when one is clicked? (specify start station)

I'd really like to talk about this to someone with knowledge of Flash and a bit of time on their hands.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Yeah .. it IS a good idea, but just to spite you I've voted 'Bad Idea' !

Ok, it's not to spite you - but I'm a traditionalist and I think there's no better knowledge than your own knowledge, and that all the computer programs in the world can't replace a your own "know how" when in a situation of say - having to change your route on the fly.

Can a computer program really do that? And come up with every single possibility? I'm not sure that it can.

Myself and Neil had a dilema quite early on yesterday and we had to make decisions to change on the fly .. not convinced and computer program could come up with what we did !
lazza747

Post by lazza747 »

I think there are two schools of thought here.

I'm with Geoff on this - absolute rubbish. A computer simply cannot make on-the-fly decisions if a problem occures up ahead.

Maybe IBM could make one that does it but not you or I.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

You're right, the planner does not, of course, account for any delays. It's just a basic initial thing to help compare a couple of routes that ypou've sketched out.

I knew you two'd stick together!
Yorkie
Zone 3

Post by Yorkie »

It would be great to have such a facility, but I think that the effort required to get one off the ground (underground maybe ;)) would substantially outweigh its advantages.
lazza747

Post by lazza747 »

CrunchySaviour wrote:You're right, the planner does not, of course, account for any delays. It's just a basic initial thing to help compare a couple of routes that ypou've sketched out.

I knew you two'd stick together!
Of course we stick together. We're the team!

(Despite my slight trouble yesterday ...) :-)
yayrabies

Post by yayrabies »

Like the sound of it, but one of the intresting things about the Tube Challenge, is the human created route. Go ahead with it if you want but I'm just going to use my brain to figure out routes.
(and if I'm trying to figure out a route past 2am, can I have a copy of your program)
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

I have to say I agree with Geoff and Neil. For me part of the whole fun of doing the Tube Challenge is the months of planning required before the actually day, the regular trips to test out parts. more and more people are becoming interested in the Tube Challenges - which isnt a bad thing at all - and i want them to experience the months of plannin as well! its a good sign of commitment.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

This is true, but my program won't plan the route for you!! You put the route in and it gives an estimate of the time. It's not like an automatic thing that would give you the quickest route after you input start and end stations.