Zone 1 Challenge Rules???

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
bazza
Zone 1

Zone 1 Challenge Rules???

Post by bazza »

Hi, am a bit new to this so bear with me, but, I was thinking of attempting a Zone 1 Challenge in the near future and was wondering are there any official rules that apply to this challenge, as I would like to know, seeing as every website that deals with Tube Challenges only concentrate on the GWR challenge rules for a full LU network challenge.

I know that you have to visit the Paddington (Bakerloo) and Paddington (H&C, Circle & District) along with the Edgware Road (Paddington) and Edgware Road (H&C, Circle and District) but just wondered whether there was any other rules in completing this challenge

Many Thanks

Bazza
palkanetoijala31

Re: Zone 1 Challenge Rules???

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

apart from visiting those stations that u mentioned there are no specific rules all 64 stations must be covered and if you do it under 3hours its generally a good time.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

....and don't get lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East!
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Yes, as they said. Officially, you must either arrive and/or depart by tube train. So you can't bus around the place.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
jbom
Zone 3

Post by jbom »

bazza wrote:I know that you have to visit the Paddington (Bakerloo) and Paddington (H&C, Circle & District) along with the Edgware Road (Paddington) and Edgware Road (H&C, Circle and District) but just wondered whether there was any other rules in completing this challenge

Many Thanks

Bazza
To clarify, you have to visit both Paddington (H&C, Circle [Hammersmith to/from Edgware Road]) and Paddington (Bakerloo, District, and Circle [Bayswater to/from Edgware Road]). If you visit Paddington's District platforms, you don't also have to visit the Bakerloo platforms and vice versa.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

jbom wrote:
bazza wrote:I know that you have to visit the Paddington (Bakerloo) and Paddington (H&C, Circle & District) along with the Edgware Road (Paddington) and Edgware Road (H&C, Circle and District) but just wondered whether there was any other rules in completing this challenge

Many Thanks

Bazza
To clarify, you have to visit both Paddington (H&C, Circle [Hammersmith to/from Edgware Road]) and Paddington (Bakerloo, District, and Circle [Bayswater to/from Edgware Road]). If you visit Paddington's District platforms, you don't also have to visit the Bakerloo platforms and vice versa.
Doesn't Paddington count as one now?
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

hopeful traveller wrote:
jbom wrote:To clarify, you have to visit both Paddington (H&C, Circle [Hammersmith to/from Edgware Road]) and Paddington (Bakerloo, District, and Circle [Bayswater to/from Edgware Road]). If you visit Paddington's District platforms, you don't also have to visit the Bakerloo platforms and vice versa.
Paddington has never counted as one - it's always been Hammersmith & City and Bakerloo/District lines as separate stations
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Really. Despite the tube map trying to make things look more "simple", Paddington is TWO stations
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

RichieG wrote:
hopeful traveller wrote:
jbom wrote:To clarify, you have to visit both Paddington (H&C, Circle [Hammersmith to/from Edgware Road]) and Paddington (Bakerloo, District, and Circle [Bayswater to/from Edgware Road]). If you visit Paddington's District platforms, you don't also have to visit the Bakerloo platforms and vice versa.
Paddington has never counted as one - it's always been Hammersmith & City and Bakerloo/District lines as separate stations
To be fair, it was one station between 1863-1868. Not sure how popular Tube Challenging was in those days?
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

Blimey, what have they done with the map this time? What's with the different colour disabled blobs?
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
jbom
Zone 3

Post by jbom »

Just to add to the fun ...

If you look at Harry Beck's original map, you'll see that Praed St, Paddington & Bishops Road are marked as three separate stations.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Yes, really. because you have to touch out to get out of the District/Circle & Bakerloo station, and then go back through barrier gates to get into the Circle/H&C one, hence = two seperate stations, just like Edgware Road.

Paddington has been shown in a variety of ways on the tube map over the decades. There used to a really good analogy of it by a university professor on the internet somewhere (not Max Roberts), but I can't find it anymore. Don't let the tokenistic & inconsistently ruled offical tube map fool you! Recently, i've been using this one, that's much better: http://www.london-tubemap.com/
hopeful traveller
All Zones

RichieG wrote:Blimey, what have they done with the map this time? What's with the different colour disabled blobs?
As mentioned in someone's "information pollution" thing - the white blobs mean "mind the gap but the rest of it is step-free".
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

geofftech wrote:Yes, really. because you have to touch out to get out of the District/Circle & Bakerloo station, and then go back through barrier gates to get into the Circle/H&C one, hence = two seperate stations, just like Edgware Road.
At Waterloo, the Waterloo & City line platforms are separate from all the others, and you have to go through the ticket barriers to change onto/off of it. Does this make it a different station? I know this doesn't really come into the Zone 1 challenge, but it's an interesting point you raise about what makes the Paddingtons 'separate' stations. Bank and Monument you can stay within the gateline and go between them, but yet they are separate. Confused? I would be if I cared more ;)