Possible 'Treasure hunt' challenge on LU

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
JoeGJ1984
Zone 3

Possible 'Treasure hunt' challenge on LU

Post by JoeGJ1984 »

Seeing this post at http://www.tubeforum.co.uk/forum/index. ... pic#p35279 (quite old) as well as this one at http://www.tubeforum.co.uk/forum/index. ... =viewtopic made me think if it would be feasible to set up a 'Treasure Hunt' type challenge on the LU. Similar to what Mitchell&BrownLook are/were doing in Europe on the second link above, but just on LU and without any money or charity being involved (purely for fun). Andi mentions about having something hidden on a platform, but I don't think that would work - it would lead to people looking like they are acting suspiciously, etc. So I think it would realistically need non-competing 'helpers' at appropriate points.

Would this sort of thing be feasible to set up? What do people think? The need for 'helpers' will probably be the main difficulty (but that said, the same problem arises with R15s in that the BERC/organiser who usually brings the envelopes also competes. He would have to make sure he does not see the stations when preparing the envelopes, so realistically need some non-competing helper).
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Possible 'Treasure hunt' challenge on LU

Post by tubeguru »

This is one alternative challenge I like the sound of. But yes, it would require a lot of planning.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Well, the idea of hiding something in a public place isn't that dissimilar to geocaching - a 35mm film container with a strong magnet duct-taped to it could easily be stuck to the underside of a bench.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Depends on what it is though. Last thing you want to do is cause a security alert! :P
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Yeah, thinking about it that might be very suspicious... but a piece of paper taped there would do the job just as well though.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I wouldn't mind organising one of these. It would be quite good fun but I think you would need a few helpers not taking part in the challenge to make it work well.
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I've thought of a way you can do this by using newsagents near stations which have small adds in their shop window. Each clue would be posted in the news agents window, and perhaps have a code word to prove that you visited the right place. I would be above ground throughout the challenge to assist if anyone gets stuck on a clue and needs the answer (this would cost a time penalty of say 15 minutes). At the start of the challenge everyone would be given a different clue, sending them to one of the newsagents so that not all team can follow each other. Once all clues are solved it would give an overall clue to where I am, the first team to find my with all clues solved correctly wins (unless time penalties apply).
One day I shall return!
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Soup Dragon wrote:I've thought of a way you can do this by using newsagents near stations which have small adds in their shop window. Each clue would be posted in the news agents window, and perhaps have a code word to prove that you visited the right place. I would be above ground throughout the challenge to assist if anyone gets stuck on a clue and needs the answer (this would cost a time penalty of say 15 minutes). At the start of the challenge everyone would be given a different clue, sending them to one of the newsagents so that not all team can follow each other. Once all clues are solved it would give an overall clue to where I am, the first team to find my with all clues solved correctly wins (unless time penalties apply).
That sounds like a smashing idea. You could be holed up in a pub somewhere?

It reminds me of something I stumbled across a few weeks back.

My parents and I were in London for the Trooping of the Colour and stopped by The Rising Sun for a quick pint. There were a few students holed up in the corner who seemed to be co-ordinating a real life game of Monopoly but (it seemed) with churches replacing the properties. I don't know any more about how this worked, but it could be an interesting idea.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

uefacup81 wrote:That sounds like a smashing idea. You could be holed up in a pub somewhere?
Exactly, sounds like an excellent idea doesn't it :-)
One day I shall return!
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Treasure hunt?

Can soup dragon dress up as captain jack sparrow? :lol:
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

The Raven wrote:Treasure hunt?

Indeed he can :lol: :wink:

http://tubedragon.piczo.com/?g=45551309&cr=5
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
JoeGJ1984
Zone 3

Post by JoeGJ1984 »

Soup Dragon wrote:I've thought of a way you can do this by using newsagents near stations which have small adds in their shop window. Each clue would be posted in the news agents window, and perhaps have a code word to prove that you visited the right place. I would be above ground throughout the challenge to assist if anyone gets stuck on a clue and needs the answer (this would cost a time penalty of say 15 minutes). At the start of the challenge everyone would be given a different clue, sending them to one of the newsagents so that not all team can follow each other. Once all clues are solved it would give an overall clue to where I am, the first team to find my with all clues solved correctly wins (unless time penalties apply).
This sounds like a good idea. As I said, I really thought of it because of what Mitchell&BrownLook did in Europe (incidentally, how did it go?)- I was thinking of the same kind of thing, but on the London Underground instead.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

The Raven wrote:Treasure hunt?

No he can't, not again!
One day I shall return!
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »