A Breakaway Zone 1 Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

No, because routes, when reversed, take the same sort of time (train frequencies cause some routes to take longer one way than the other, though).
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Hi there-nice to see I'm being talked about for the right reasons for a change :)

I'm still up for the finishing station idea, for a couple of reasons:

1)I love the idea of everyone racing to the same station! I suggest that when the station is drawn, a pub is found nearby which long-finished competitors can visit.

2) I don't think it's unfair...simply start all timers at 1, say that you must get on the first good train after 1pm from your station (although if you have a choice of several lines on the same track you can wait for the one you want) and it's simply a race to the finish. If competitors arrive on the same train, only then is actual departure time used to separate them.

3)Didn't we all rely on honesty last year when we told Neil our times? I think highly enough of the people on this forum to trust them to do this fairly! Anyone could easily have lied last year!

4) The only issue is that everyone will probably start at Vauxhall unless we pick Pimlico, but one of the best features about Tube Relief was that we all started together before heading our spearate ways, and I think I'd enjoy that again.

Any thoughts as to when yet?

Ric
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Hold on a minute, if most players start at vauxhall, that means essentially both starting and finishing stations are set and a lot of people will have the same route!!
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

We ban starting within 8 stations of Vauxhall on any line.

Solved.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

8 stations sounds a bit arbitrary to me. Why not say "On or inside the Bottle"?

I don't think start time should be used to resolve ties. Let there be ties instead!

There are four main options for drawing the finish station:
1) Any Z1 station
2) Any station where all tracks are visible from each other - to make the result obvious and transparent. Essentially the same criteria as was used for 2005 start stations.
3) The "other" stations i.e. stations with many arrival options... More interesting but less combinations!
4) A limited set of stations, selected for their proximity to known nice pubs! (Preferably secretly selected by a non-contestant.)

I opt for alternative 2!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)