Z1 Day, a thought

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
snudge27
All Zones

Z1 Day, a thought

Post by snudge27 »

I was chatting about Tube Challenging (and, in particular, the Z1 challenge) with my Dad yesterday, and he raised what I feel to be a valid point regarding route planning methods when it comes to non-record challenges like Zone 1 Day etc.,

With no disrespect to Hakan and Patrick, it does appear that their use of a computer programme to calculate the perfect route from any given station creates a bit of an uneven playing field, especially given that one of the key aspects of Z1 Day is the ability to plan a route on the fly.

I really do want to stress that I've nothing against Hakan and Patrick and their success, but perhaps consideration could be given to a ban (purely trust-based, of course!) on computer-generated routes, otherwise there's the risk of the event just becoming a case of handing the trophy to those with a computerised route (as long as the service holds up), and everyone else just fighting for second place.
palkanetoijala31

Re: Z1 Day, a thought

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

With no disrespect to Hakan or Patrick they had the time to calculate a route from 1 to a possible 57 stations that must take some time to do in the 1st place with i presume about 100 possible routes.?In retrospect its a good thing Hakan won because it reinforces the fact that anybody can win on the day if they are lucky we just got unlucky missing that bayswater train who knows what might have happened if had got?.

for the best tube challenge team u should have this

Peter R15 random skills Hakan Computer generated route tangy Bus routing skills Andi plus adham and steveo running skills and Brown family spirits skills and Geoff Marshall team building and support skills.Wishful thought that all could get along.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:With no disrespect to Hakan or Patrick they had the time to calculate a route from 1 to a possible 57 stations that must take some time to do in the 1st place with i presume about 100 possible routes.?In retrospect its a good thing Hakan won because it reinforces the fact that anybody can win on the day if they are lucky we just got unlucky missing that bayswater train who knows what might have happened if had got?.

for the best tube challenge team u should have this

Peter R15 random skills Hakan Computer generated route tangy Bus routing skills Andi plus adham and steveo running skills and Brown family spirits skills and Geoff Marshall team building and support skills.Wishful thought that all could get along.
So that's Planning/Knowledge/Endurence/Speed/Team Work/Support/Luck that are needed!

Or you could have a random starting and ending station?
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

I think banning computer generated routes, even on trust, is a non-starter. Where do you draw the line? Most people use the Tfl journey planner to assist, yet that is producing a 'computer genereated' route. I play around with ideas for routes using a spreadsheet, and for Zone 1 had then simplified my ideas onto a hand written piece of A4 as an aide memoire. Would that be allowed?

On Zone 1 day I discussed with Hakan the use of computers in chess. While obviously banned while actually playing, they are used extensively in preparation and to analyse adjourned matches, as it would be impossible to stop this.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

I disagree. I can always beat the Swedes, computer or no computer. If only I had turned up.
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

A bit unfair isn't it? After all, it would appear to be punishing those who have come prepared. Very prepared.
Full Network - Attempts: 1 | Completions: 1 (17h28m57s on 14/09/09)
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Wanstead wrote:A bit unfair isn't it? After all, it would appear to be punishing those who have come prepared. Very prepared.
I agree, you wouldn't penalize someone just because they prepared by running a lot before the day?
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
palkanetoijala31

The Raven wrote:
Wanstead wrote:A bit unfair isn't it? After all, it would appear to be punishing those who have come prepared. Very prepared.
I agree, you wouldn't penalize someone just because they prepared by running a lot before the day?
If that was the case a former tube challenger who doesnt post a lot nowadays would have to be banned for his future netwrok attempt lol
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
The Raven wrote:
If that was the case a former tube challenger who doesnt post a lot nowadays would have to be banned for his future netwrok attempt lol
Is this me?
palkanetoijala31

No a member of Geoff Marshall team who has been running his heart out with some practice runs on twitter i cant remember his last posting on here but is a member.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Would this mystery challenger have a dust mask and a lab coat?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

If so, he was last on the forum on the 7th of June, 2009.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA