The Football League Grounds of Greater London Tube Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

The Football League Grounds of Greater London Tube Challenge

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

With the incredible rise of AFC Wimbledon that today has seen a fan's owned club return to the Football League and secure the crowning glory of 5 promotions in just 9 seasons, can I propose that the London Football Grounds Challenge of old be re-invented?

Before I had become involved in Tube Challenging, this forum held a one off charity fund raiser to use public transport to visit each of the 14 Football League grounds in a single day, and to raise money for Sport Relief by performing some "keep uppys" outside each ground, the full details of which can be found here: http://www.tubeforum.co.uk/forum/index. ... =viewtopic

On one of my first challenges I heard about this event and loved the sounds of it, and on returning home I searched the forum to find out more with a view to one day completing it myself. On discovering that it was a one off charity event that had never been replicated it didn't seem within the original spirit of the idea to try and better the time of those who had previously undertaken it, and thus I've never attempted this challenge. However, with today's promotion of AFC Wimbledon a new challenge can be created, and thus I propose one now, with a view to hearing the opinion of others.

Here's the thoughts I've collected thus far about the new Football League Grounds of Greater London Tube Challenge.

1) While I understand why Soupy included Watford in the challenge despite Watford actually not being in London, I suggest that they should be replaced by the newly promoted AFC Wimbledon, however as the creator of the original challenge, if he does not approve then this may be dropped.

2) Whilst not visited on the original challenge by anyone other than Andi, Wembley should also not be visited as it doesn't ordinarily host regular League Games.

3) The challenge needs to have clearly defined rules of having 'visited' a ground if it is to become a challenge where individuals compete against each other, and this is where I am open to suggestions. Whilst having a photo pitch side or playing keepy uppy outside the ground would be in the spirit of the original, both are somewhat impractical. My original reaction had therefore been that one most pass round all four sides of the ground on the stadium concourse or an adjacent road, but this could prove difficult or just plain tedious at various grounds especially to those of us who aren't too keen on running exceptionally long distances! For example: Fulham's Craven Cottage lies beside the Thames; Dagenham & Redbridge's Victoria Road backs onto a factory and AFC Wimbledon's Fans' Stadium backs onto a water treatment works, all of which would take a great deal of time to pass round! I therefore thought that the successful Parks Challenge could be replicated, rather than taking a photo of the exterior of the 'Park' station, instead one must photograph the exterior of the stadium. Having participated in the Parks challenge twice, I know this makes for a fun variant.

This leads to the issue of what to photograph. Clearly a shot of stadium from a passing train is not in the spirit of the competition as you haven't actually visited the ground, so I suggest that the photo be of the participant stood beside the main entrance to each ground. Evidently this would vary but a single location should be defined for each ground, however as I don't really know them too well, I'll let others decide what this is for each ground. To give you some ideas, I'll give you an image of what be my suggestion for the shot at Hillsborough, would it be in some sort of similar variation. http://tims92.webs.com/Sheffield%20Wedn ... gh%201.jpg

Hopefully I've effectively shared my original thoughts with you, so please do add your own thoughts below!
Wanstead
Zone 4

Re: The Football League Grounds of Greater London Tube Chall

Post by Wanstead »

The 14 are, for those that don't know: Arsenal, Barnet, Brentford, Charlton, Chelski, Dagenham & Redbridge, Fulham, Millwall, Orient, Palace, QPR, Spurs, West Ham, and arrivistes AFC Wimbledon.
Full Network - Attempts: 1 | Completions: 1 (17h28m57s on 14/09/09)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

My tuppence worth....

Watford are defintely 100% a London Club and should be visited

I don't think the challenge was ever designed to be a "race" or done at pace, trust me having done this the last time we were all very knackered at the end of the day, we did throw one run in but walking some considerable distances during the day was tiring enough

Yes I agree it should be done again now that AFC Wimbledon are in the league and ideally on sports relief day which should happen March 2012?

We didn't visit Wembley last year, it was never in the actual plans although was talaked about and we didn't have time
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Going Underground wrote:Watford are defintely 100% a London Club and should be visited
Watford is in Hertfordshire. Please explain how Watford is a "London club".
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Here is just one link, they have always been classed as a London club going back to when I was a kid and their games would been shown on the LWT's big match...
There club news is also in the free newspapers that you pick up in London together with the other sides that are mentioned.....
http://www.londonnet.co.uk/ln/out/sport/watford_1.html
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Although they are not far outside, and many of their fans may live in London, Watford FC are clearly not in London. The London TV/papers cover lots of clubs like Reading, Wycombe and Gillingham that are also outside London.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

I totally agree that Watford is NOT in London and Watford FC in NOT in London, but look in many places and they have always been classified as a London Club.. I don't make the rules up I simply confirm them.... :wink: Another link for you....

http://www.infobarrel.com/Soccer_in_London
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

If we're using the local press, one of the free evening papers classed a Watford vs Gillingham League Cup game as a London derby.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I think this is almost word for word the same argument we had 3 years ago :D
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

greatkingrat wrote:I think this is almost word for word the same argument we had 3 years ago :D
:lol: :lol: trust me I would rather not go it was the worst trek of the day :!:
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

scrxisi wrote:For years the Yorkshire post highlighted Burnley as a Yorkshire team! Not sure what my point is exactly.
Well it is all Up Norf isn't it?
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Er, if we are defining the rules of the challenge, then surely we can decide what our definition of London is? Then we can decide on one where Watford is outside! :D
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Clearly Watford is outside of London, however as it does appear on the Tube map and has always been classed as a London Clubs, I believe it should stay in the challenge. Therefore with the addition of Wimbledon the challenge is now to visit 15 clubs.
One day I shall return!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

It will be a long day especially as AFC Wimbledon are nowhere near any of the existing clubs!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

greatkingrat wrote:It will be a long day especially as AFC Wimbledon are nowhere near any of the existing clubs!
Where are they based Peter.? or do we visit the old Plough Lane.?