R15 Round 5 suggestion

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
snudge27
All Zones

Re: R15 Round 5 suggestion

Post by snudge27 »

scrxisi wrote:Or building on that, with clues, like a treasure hunt. We could all be modern day Anneka Rices.

Obviously however, ability to leave clues in stations is limited (i.e. none), but would be great if something like that could be made to work somehow...
What would TfL's stance be on leaving a clue with the ticket office at a station? If they'd be amenable to it, surely it wouldn't be too hard to construct a R15 list comprising only ticket-officed stations?
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

I imagine if they suddenly had say 10 envelopes handed in they would close the station for a TERROR Alert because they wouldnt know what was in them.
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

scrxisi wrote:Or building on that, with clues, like a treasure hunt. We could all be modern day Anneka Rices.

Obviously however, ability to leave clues in stations is limited (i.e. none), but would be great if something like that could be made to work somehow...
I did have somebody try to leave me something at Oxford Street once (the Photography students went to London on the Friday, I was there for an R15 on the Saturday) but it wasn't there when I got there the next day... Don't know why I mentioned that. Actually I do. I wanted to know if that card was still behind the picture in the Horse & Groom from whenever it was we left it there. Also, did we not leave one of our envelopes at Aldwych?

(And Andi, even moreso when they opened the envelopes to find they all had the name of an Underground station on it...)

Possibly slightly further though (and back on topic) I once did a 'car treasure hunt' once where at the beginning we were given a route and a list of questions along the route and had to answer them. The afternoon was spent driving around North Devon and Exmoor doing this. So perhaps instead of leaving items at stations, questions are given for each station... Probably didn't describe that too well but never mind.
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Or have perhaps 5-6 people around the underground handing out envelopes with clues in for the various teams. If you allocate each of the envelope people three stations of the 15, they can proceed to the next one once they've handed out all their clues for that station.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

Having the next station only announced after the previous would give little chance for alternative routes to be chosen, how about dropping it down to one intermediary point - the first 8 stations must be visited before getting to a fixed mid-station, where the remaining 7 are revealed.

This would reduce the number of bored helpers, allow for more route variation, and add a bit of competition and motivation at the halfway stage, when teams can be told how they're doing.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

I agree with Edgemaster's variation but I don't even think you need helpers waiting around the network.

Just give everyone two sets of envelopes, one which they open at the "starting-station" and one which they open when they arrive at the "mid-station". Simple!
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Both of the above sound like really good ideas.

Seeing as the whole event works on trust anyway, I don't see any reason why we can't be trusted not to open any subsidiary envelopes before we're supposed to!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

joy54 wrote:I agree with Edgemaster's variation but I don't even think you need helpers waiting around the network.

Just give everyone two sets of envelopes, one which they open at the "starting-station" and one which they open when they arrive at the "mid-station". Simple!
Welcome back Steven :!:

This is a fantastic idea and to be honest I don't that we would have too many helpers around the network anyway...
It would be down to the BERC if he generated 1 set of stations and then cut the last 7 off..
A better idea might be to generate a set of 8 stations(includes the starting/meeting point) and put these in envelope "A". Then when the doors open at the 8th station of your choice you open envelope "B" which has 7 generated stations contained...
It wouldn't even matter if some of the stations in set "B" had already been visited in set "A"
To save on envelopes another alternative might be to fold set "B" several times and enclose them in the initial envelope....

This one certainly gets my vote for the "twist" in the next round... :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Going Underground wrote:
joy54 wrote:I agree with Edgemaster's variation but I don't even think you need helpers waiting around the network.

Welcome back Steven :!:

This is a fantastic idea and to be honest I don't that we would have too many helpers around the network anyway...
It would be down to the BERC if he generated 1 set of stations and then cut the last 7 off..
A better idea might be to generate a set of 8 stations(includes the starting/meeting point) and put these in envelope "A". Then when the doors open at the 8th station of your choice you open envelope "B" which has 7 generated stations contained...
It wouldn't even matter if some of the stations in set "B" had already been visited in set "A"
To save on envelopes another alternative might be to fold set "B" several times and enclose them in the initial envelope....

This one certainly gets my vote for the "twist" in the next round... :D
Perhaps an even more interesting twist would be for an independant person whom is not doing the challenge to generate a fixed r15 say for example these stations

Angel
Kings Cross
Clapham South
Brixton
Fulham Broadway
Farringdon
St james,s park
Earls Court
Paddington Bak
Oxford Circus
Bank
Tower Hill
Mansion House
Charing Cross
Elephant & Castle

Please note that i just picked at random didnt look at lines closed just for example sake then if people were going to meet at say the the 8th station the adjudicator makes a list of 8 with the 8th station fixed say oxford circus but everybody has a different set of 6 stations to visit in between so some might get a better 1st 8 but then struggle in the 2nd half on an aggregated time of what they have left.?Does that make sense.?
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

I'd have thought you could do the first 8 in any order, and then at whichever station you chose as your last, you then open the list with the remainder. You then have to gamble whether to end the first 8 at an extremity or somewhere more central...
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

al wrote:I'd have thought you could do the first 8 in any order, and then at whichever station you chose as your last, you then open the list with the remainder. You then have to gamble whether to end the first 8 at an extremity or somewhere more central...
Agreed Al, that is how I think it should work....
Starting station then visit the next 7 listed in any order, then open envelope "B" when you arrive at the 8th station of your choice.. The gamble is two fold, do you head to an outer station or stay central and do you get off the train when the doors open or stay on :!:
Its simplicity itself :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Going Underground wrote:
al wrote:I'd have thought you could do the first 8 in any order, and then at whichever station you chose as your last, you then open the list with the remainder. You then have to gamble whether to end the first 8 at an extremity or somewhere more central...
Agreed Al, that is how I think it should work....
Starting station then visit the next 7 listed in any order, then open envelope "B" when you arrive at the 8th station of your choice.. The gamble is two fold, do you head to an outer station or stay central and do you get off the train when the doors open or stay on :!:
Its simplicity itself :D
Precisely!

A quick go on Scriv's generator gives me:

Maida Vale
Moorgate
Finsbury Park
Leicester Square
Vauxhall
Piccadilly Circus
Kilburn Park
Clapham North

Followed by:

Hampstead
Edgware Road [Bak]
Southwark
Fulham Broadway
Tottenham Court Road
Bromley-by-Bow
Edgware Road [Cir/Dis/H&C]

So GU is quite right, do you look to finish the first set at the likes of Finsbury Park/Vauxhall, or do you play it safe with Moorgate?
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

uefacup81 wrote:...So GU is quite right, do you look to finish the first set at the likes of Finsbury
Park/Vauxhall, or do you play it safe with Moorgate?
This sounds like the start of a game of Mornington Crescent!
jbom
Zone 3

Post by jbom »

So if the second envelope contains a station I happen to have already visited, is that just my good luck? Or do I have to revisit it?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

jbom wrote:So if the second envelope contains a station I happen to have already visited, is that just my good luck? Or do I have to revisit it?
I would say that you have to revisit....you may have gone through it "by chance" or maybe you don't have to revisit... this could be a "twist within the twist" :!: