ZONE 1 CHALLENGE 2005 ANNOUNCED!

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

CrunchySaviour wrote:Live Action Mornington Crestent was an idea mooted briefly by my friend Ernst (an avid gamer) and I a few months ago. We immediately discounted it because it would be a really stupid idea!
News just in:

Anthony Smith discounts a tube-based idea for being stupid.

(disclaimer - this is a humourous post).
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Now, come on, Neil, you couldn't really play it "competitively" as there would be no way of telling where you would be underground as no phones or radios would work between stations and the random nature of MC means that you could really be anywhere.

I say it on my video, I'll say it out loud: It's a BAD IDEA.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
Yorkie
Zone 3

Post by Yorkie »

Neil? He's not been on here for a week.
What would I know? - I'm from Yorkshire for starters...
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

Tubeguru has.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Oh! Sorry, I had Neil on the brain for a moment there. I'd just been reading his blog and the Pink Floyd avatar must have thrown me somewhat! Apologies, Tubeguru.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Get with the programme, Maskboy ...
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

The prediction is rainy again now...

Will they ever make their mind up?
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Well, it's nice today, which means it'll be horrible tomorrow for my exam, and therefore it'll be nice again on Friday. That's my prediction: Nice.
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Like most people, I hope it won't be too warm, but am not all that bothered about the rain.

I was in Zone 1 last friday however, and there were so many problems it wasn't funny. Severe delays on the Circle, (+ associated H+C/Met )line, due to some signalling failure, problems on the Piccadilly due to engineering at Oakwood and something at russell Square (a fatality possibly) Northern running with minor delays, and Central suspended at loughton because of the fire brigade or something, and running with delays as a result.

So if it's like that this Friday, it could be a long afternoon, and the winner might just be the person who gets clear/lucky on the problem lines.

I also injured my knee, by still running on it when I should have rested it after a knock, and it's still hurting :( Won't be able to take part unless it gets better. :evil:

On the plus side, i now know what I'm doing from each starting station (although I think I've got as far as "cry" if it's Paddington) See you Friday,

Ric.
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

I'm happy with Paddington. Edgware Road (Bakerloo) has me stumped though, my notes currently just have the cryptic remark "run?"

What did we decide about starting with a run?
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

I really need to finish planning what to do for each of the start station "groups". I've thought about a few by my routes just aren't as solid as the Vauxhall ones that I've devised.

It's going to be nerve-wracking on Friday. Just need minimum delays and "maskimum" speed.
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

tpfkar wrote: On the plus side, i now know what I'm doing from each starting station (although I think I've got as far as "cry" if it's Paddington) See you Friday,
Paddington (H&C is not a bad place to start), it's certainly good for fast(ish) times as it removes the dreaded wait for a H&C from the equation!
Senji wrote: What did we decide about starting with a run?
As far as I know you have to either arrive or depart on a train at every station in Zone 1. Thus if you run from the start station, you would have to arrive or depart from it on a train later on in the challenge.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Senji, (and everyone else)

As was discussed in depth here:

http://www.tubechallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28

No you cannot start by running away from a station. My page also makes it quite clear that you have to start by leaving on a train:

http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tubechallenge/alt_zone1/

Also, just think of it as a mini-version of the full 275 challenge. Does the 275 all-stations challenge allow you to start by running away from a station? Er.. no. So same applies here.

You can though if you want do the last station by running TO it, but then you can't clock it as being done until the moment that you get on a train that starts to move away from that station. Again, just as per the 275 rules.
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

Of course, in the 275 station event one can start from any station one likes.

(I'm not, incidently, proposing to count the station I've run away from as having been done; as I would pass through it later)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

That's still no good senj, because we need the same official start times for everyone. So we're insisting that you HAVE to leave on a train from the chosen start station. Otherwise, you might just as well start anywhere you like anyway, as you could say "I ran to that station before I began..."