The Waterloo & City Line Challenge - 21/10/05

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

The Waterloo & City Line Challenge - 21/10/05

Post by Nutteronabus »

As devised here, it seems several people are interested in doing the Waterloo & City Line challenge, and three people seem able to do lunchtime/afternoonish on October 21st.

I suggest we agree on a complete set of rules and regulations, including rematches and the like here. And for people to register their interest in taking part in this thread.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

I'm PROBABLY available. At the very worst I'll be available from 1pm til 2pm but I might be available all day.

I'm also available Wednesdays from 1pm, and if I'm not available Fridays, then I will be on Tuesdays all day.

This should be fun!

OK, the rules.

1. The Waterloo & City Line Challenge (hereinafter referred to as the Challenge) shall be an alternative Tube Challenge based upon the Skill rules, and not upon those of Speed or Time.

2. The competitors (hereinafter, the Competitors,) shall assume starting positions standing in the carriages of a Waterloo and City Line train (hereinafter the Train).

3. The Competitors shall each possess not more than one stopwatch.

4. The Competitors shall start their stopwatches at the moment that the doors of the train close, as this is an arbitrary Moment, and it shall matter not at what point the Challenge begins, as long as the Competitors' stopwatches are of synchronised chronicity (unless, before the Train has begun to move, a Competitor shall fall flat on their arse [hereinafter the Arse]).

5. The Competitors shall use their skill of balance to successfully remain standing throughout the journey.

6. At no point during the Challenge may a Competitor touch another competitor, the doors, rails, seats or any other part of the Train than its floor (and only with the ends of no more than two limbs of any one description at any one time, being both hands (the Hands) or both feet (the Feet).

6a. The Nutteronabus Amendment: the Competitor may bump into other Competitors momentarily, as this cannot be avoided under Kinetic Theory. At no point may any Competitor use another Competitor as a support aid, by pain of Death.

7. When the Competitor touches another Competitor, the hand rails, the seats, the glass, the doors or any other part of the Train, or its floor with more than two simultaneous appendages of any given description (i.e. the Competitor has fallen on their Arse), then that Competitor is deemed Out of the Challenge, and shall stop their stopwatch immediately.

8. Any Competitor not stopping their stopwatch immediately after failing to remain standing shall be thrown into the path of the next available oncoming Train.

9. The last Competitor standing shall be declared the winner (hereinafter, the Victor (or Victress).

10. At no point in the Challenge may any Competitor seek any artificial form of balance, including, but not limited to, propping themselves up with a pole or other balancing apparatus of any description, use of counterweights, magnets or other electronic flux equipment. Competitors found to have such apparatus in their possession shall be thrown in front of a Train.

11. If there is more than one Competitor standing at the end of the Challenge (i.e. when the Train has pulled into its Terminus and the doors reopen), there shall be a rematch.

12. The Rematch shall consist of the Competitors attempting the Challenge again in reverse.

13. If, at the end of the second Challenge, a Victor has still not been decided, the Competitors shall sod it and go down the pub.

14. The Competitor known as "G Force" shall buy a pint for any Competitors deemed to have travelled the entire line standing up, having actually travelled the entire line standing up, under the conditions of Rule 7.
Last edited by CrunchySaviour on 11 Oct 2005, 15:23, edited 2 times in total.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Amen to rules 8 and 13.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

I do feel that it's nigh on impossible to do it without bumping into a fellow competitor.

Perhaps an amendment should be made to Rule 6 to allow the occasional bump, but not to use other competitors as a support tool?
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

OK, I made an amendment to Rule 6.

Thanks to the bastardly nature of fate, I will only be available between the hours of 1300 and 1400 on that Friday, and it will take me a good 5 minutes to reach Waterloo. That means that if everyone aims to meet as close to 1pm as possible then we could leave soon after it...
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Last edited by geofftech on 08 May 2019, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

oh, just noticed this thread.

Like I said before, count me in.

I wonder if I should begin training?

Bit annoyed about the counterweight rule.....would have been a sneaky way of cheating... :)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

You weren't considering cheating now were you?

Member of sweet FA
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

This is a gentlemen's (and ladies') contest, Ric. To illegally use counterweights would be unsportsmanly as well as ungentlemanly.

We could change it to the following Tuesday or Wednesday, as I'm off all day on Tuesdays and Wednesday afternoons too...
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

I'm not available tuesdays or wednesdays.

Unless we postpone it to one day during the half term. Or something. Dunno if that would make it busier, though.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Ideally, it should be a Friday really.

Member of sweet FA
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

I agree.
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Friday or bust for me
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Shall we meet at 1pm at Waterloo then, on the platform of the W&C Line? Or under the clock on the main concourse?

I might be a few minutes late but nothing too serious.

I have added another rule to the end of the current rule set, based upon G Force's declaration in the other W&C thread.
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

I'd say under the clock, ensuring that everyone is able to get a phone signal.

We could PM our numbers around. Or something.