Alphabet Challenge (with drinking)

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
A2
Zone 4

Alphabet Challenge (with drinking)

Post by A2 »

I can't remember how or why I came across Geoff's website but it inspired me and a couple of my friends to spend a day in London doing something on the tube. As we're all recently (between 3 and 15 months) ex-students we decided to combine the alphabet challenge (since a full run would require far too much forward planning, an all-lines was too short, a Z1 didn't take us far enough out of where we already had a vague idea about, and we were only available at weekends anyway) with a students favourite pasttime of visiting pubs...
...and so the challenge was created.

We decided to visit stations starting with A-Z (obviously without J, X, Y & Z) in order the same as on the normal alphabet challenge. Our twist was that at each letter we had to get off the tube, locate a pub and drink at least half a pint of our favourite drink there. (aka. 1 unit, although we specified half a pint in order to make the volume a factor too) Of course this meant that the entire challenge would take far longer than a traditional version of the alphabet where you can stay on the same train and do multiple stations just by sitting on the same train. There was also the actual finding a pub at each station, and then persuading them that we weren't nutters and could they please serve us just half a pint and sign our sheet to say we'd been there. (for the record the timings we took were when all 3 halfs were poured at each pub). In order to make things a little easier we only had to arrive OR depart from each letter. (eg. we could arrive at Bank [but it had to be a Bank labelled station and not Monument, despite them being connected] and depart from Cannon Street while walking between them) In the end though we only made 2 walking connections on this run.

For a first attempt, and not really knowing what we were doing we managed as far as V before we ran out of time on the licensing hours and couldn't get served. However we did skip U since Upton Park was too far our to get to when we would have been heading there. We also had to revise our route on the morning of the challenge when we discovered that a major part of our route (Circle, Met, H&C from Baker St to Liverpool St) was closed for engineering works. (Our moral from that story is to check the TFL pages before the day of doing it) We probably could have successfully reached W and got served too, apart from more engineering works between Hitchin and Kings Cross (and us oversleeping) which meant that our train arrived in Kings Cross late, and we didn't get our first halfs poured until 11:43, wasting an entire 43 minutes of licensing hours.

Over the course of the day 22 half pints only equates to 11 pints but we found that we all had different points where one of the 3 drank faster or slower than the others. There's also something strangely wrong about sitting down in a pub only to throw half a pint down your neck, be wanting another one, but have to run back to the tube station and down an escalator to make the connection. Also some of the locations require a fair amount of searching around in order to find a pub nearby. The wonders of the internet gave us a vague idea of how far we'd have to go, but in some cases weren't accurate, or lead to somewhere such as The Ritz Hotel which clearly wasn't suitable. Some stations such as Regents Park and Great Portland Street or Cannon Street and Bank are also so insanely close together in geographical terms that if the route requires you to visit both of them then there's a question of "do we want to find somewhere slightly further away the first or second time of visiting?"

For the record our cheapest round of 3 drinks (2 half lagers, usually Fosters and 1 half cider [yes, for me], usually Strongbow) was suprisingly at Green Park in the heart of Mayfair. Our most expensive was at a poncy bar (that'll teach us not to look around enough) in the West End although Ickenham came a close second where we reckon the staff at the Ember Inns franchise (Coach and Horses) overcharged us, so we definatley won't be going there again.

Other interesting moments were swapping to a "fast" Metropolitan train at Harrow-on-the-Hill which left a minute after the slow train we had been on. The "fast" train, although it didn't stop at any intermediate stations, and as far as we could tell being on a separate track to the slow train still slowed down just outside each station and remained frustratingly behind the slow train all the way down. I can only assume that under normal circumstances a "fast" train can overtake a "slow" train but it didn't happen on the day.
Only one of our pubs (chosen at random based on what we could see from the station entrance) turned out to be a gay bar.
We were ID'ed (all three of us were either 21 or 22) at about 1/3rd of the pubs.
We lost most of our time due to chatting to interested bar staff

At each pub we asked the person who served us to sign a sheet saying that we'd been there and most of them seemed interested, or possibly bemused about what we were doing. Myself, Matt and Richard are definatley doing it again and we're going to learn from our mistakes this time (especially that the shortest route may not necessarily be the best if nothing's open). We reckon that our theory is sound but we definatley want to get round everywhere next time.
- Andrew
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Good plan, and sounds like fun.

Although, may I suggest that you opt for a real ale at as many of the pubs as possible?

a) It's not as fizzy so you can actually drink it quickly without burping (or feeling bloated, as I do, as I cannot burp),
b) It is actually CHEAPER than the inferior lager in many places,
c) Most importantly, it's actually nice.

How much did the total drinks cost come to?

Send me a message or email next time you're going to do it, and I'll come along, if you don't mind, of course! :wink:
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
Fimb
Zone 2

Post by Fimb »

ONLY 11 pints??

I'd have to be carried home after station 6 *laughing*
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

CrunchySaviour wrote:Good plan, and sounds like fun.

Although, may I suggest that you opt for a real ale at as many of the pubs as possible?

a) It's not as fizzy so you can actually drink it quickly without burping (or feeling bloated, as I do, as I cannot burp),
b) It is actually CHEAPER than the inferior lager in many places,
c) Most importantly, it's actually nice.

How much did the total drinks cost come to?

Send me a message or email next time you're going to do it, and I'll come along, if you don't mind, of course! :wink:
The real ale plan would be a winner if it weren't for the fact that I only drink cider (no, I'm not 14 - just not a fan of beer). Matt switched onto bitters twice during that run, although he switched back after the first time at Edgware Road since the half of Adnams was apparently off, but switched back onto bitters again later and found it much easier. I think we averaged about £1.35/half which doesn't make it the cheapest day out in the world ever, but it is London prices after all :? When we do it again though we know where to avoid due to the prices at least (Coach and Horses, Ickenham for one [overcharging so-and-sos])
- Andrew
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Fimb wrote:ONLY 11 pints??

I'd have to be carried home after station 6 *laughing*
Don't forget that it's over the course of an entire day - the alcohol content doesn't really get at you, but the volume (especially the gas) does a bit. One of the bonuses of doing this form of getting round the tube though is that you don't have to worry about finding a toilet as all your stops have one :D
- Andrew
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

This sounds like my kind of challenge, if anyone is considering in the future please let me know :wink:
Going back a few years the letter "S" would have to be Sloane Square, with a bar actually on the Westbound platform :D
Does anyone else remeber this bar or have any details when the last pint was pulled?
Also is this unique to LU or have other platforms ever had a bar?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

A bar ON the platform?!

Kew Gardens has a pub directly adjacent to the northbound platform but you can't get onto the platform from the pub, or vice versa, due to the ticket barriers and everything. Good pub though!!
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Indeed it is a good pub.

As my good woman lives in Kew, we often find ourselves within the confines of its walls. They do nice chicken pie ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Yes indeed a bar ON the platform, perhaps I am the only one old enough to remember this fantastic scenario... we used to get off at Sloane Square District Line on every Westbound journey :D
Only downside I seem to recall is only served weak fizz, Ben Truman from memory :cry:
There must be somewhere we can research this on the net and find out when it was closed down :roll:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

According to wikipedia (owned by ******** so therefore true!) the Hole in the Wall closed in 1985.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Ummmmm over 20 years ago doesnt seem that long :o
No wonder C S doesnt recall it... :roll:
Still it was a great innovation
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Never got round to posting - we did actually complete this on the 2nd attempt (when the useful parts of the tube were open) going from Aldgate East to Waterloo with an hour or so to spare.
- Andrew
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

A scenario crossed my mind on this, do you have to take a train and disembark between each drink?

And do you have drink a before boarding first train at letter "A" ?

ie; You start at Aldgate East (drink first or catch train?)

Go to Bank leave train have a drink, can you then walk to another pub between Bank and say Cannon Street, have a drink and get on train at Cannon Street ?
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Going Underground wrote:A scenario crossed my mind on this, do you have to take a train and disembark between each drink?

And do you have drink a before boarding first train at letter "A" ?

ie; You start at Aldgate East (drink first or catch train?)
Start the clock as soon as the bartender has poured all the first drinks. Stop it as soon as everyone has finished drinking at your W.
Go to Bank leave train have a drink, can you then walk to another pub between Bank and say Cannon Street, have a drink and get on train at Cannon Street ?
You can do this, but don't try that one on a Saturday since there's nothing much open in that vicinity.
You can also get out a train at Warren Street, and walk to Euston Square (E) taking in a Pub on the way, if that happens to be more convenient.
- Andrew