Random 15 Championship - Round 6 - 05 June 2010

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Random 15 Championship - Round 6 - 05 June 2010

Post by Soup Dragon »

Round 6 is this Saturday 5th June, 1300 start at Tottenham Court Road, please meet at the top of exit 4, if you're early enough there will be time for a swift half in the Angel!

Only two stations are excluded this time:
Barbican
Farringdon

Closed but pass through allowed:
Cannon Street
Notting Hill Gate
Warren Street

I suggest we meet afterwards at the Horse & Groom, Great Portland Street.

Here is the official thread for the 6th and final round of the current Random 15 Championship. Initially it was planned to include London Overground in the final round, however this will now just be a normal round and the starting station will be generated at random. The championship race is wide open with six people in with a chance of still winning the title Random 15 League Table
Hopefully this will be a great end to the Tubefest week and is further evidence of what a great forum this is and how many people we now have regularly involved in tube challenging, in all it's forms! More details will be added here in due course.

Entrants:
Soup Dragon
Last edited by Soup Dragon on 03 Jun 2010, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
One day I shall return!
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Re: Random 15 Championship - Round 6 - 05 June 2010

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

Here here to those sentiments Soupy!

Entrants:
Soup Dragon
Brown + Friends (upto 3!)
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Entrants:
Soup Dragon
Al
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
JoeGJ1984
Zone 3

Post by JoeGJ1984 »

I ask why you will not be including London Overground here - especially as the East London Line will be fully open and if we include London Overground, we'll have the new line to play with. (It was postponed from the last round because of the closure between Gospel Oak and Stratford, but that is supposed to open on 1st June. And we set out the programme of the R15 championship and all the twists we wanted and we had the LO round in this. If I was coming, I would want to have the nice new line to play with).

Incidentally, saying this, I won't go to this round because I'm going down to London and back in one day for the zone 1 challenge, and I don't want to do two one-day trips to London in two consecutive days (this arrangement is not so good for the long-distance people who go to London and back same day - I think people might not want to do it twice in two days. Don't change it now, but I think perhaps we should review whether we need the zone 1 challenge and the last round of the random 15 on two consecutive days - it's kind of lost it's original meaning as a warm-up to the zone 1 challenge anyway when it was moved to the Saturday afterwards instead of the Thursday night before).
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

JoeGJ1984 wrote:I ask why you will not be including London Overground here - especially as the East London Line will be fully open and if we include London Overground, we'll have the new line to play with. (It was postponed from the last round because of the closure between Gospel Oak and Stratford, but that is supposed to open on 1st June. And we set out the programme of the R15 championship and all the twists we wanted and we had the LO round in this. If I was coming, I would want to have the nice new line to play with).

Incidentally, saying this, I won't go to this round because I'm going down to London and back in one day for the zone 1 challenge, and I don't want to do two one-day trips to London in two consecutive days (this arrangement is not so good for the long-distance people who go to London and back same day - I think people might not want to do it twice in two days. Don't change it now, but I think perhaps we should review whether we need the zone 1 challenge and the last round of the random 15 on two consecutive days - it's kind of lost it's original meaning as a warm-up to the zone 1 challenge anyway when it was moved to the Saturday afterwards instead of the Thursday night before).
It's been known ever since the first R15 3 years ago that when it was done on the day before, it would only be able to attended by people within a short distance of London, or people who were staying for a number of days for 'Tubefest' (i.e. Hakan and the gang). The point you bring up is not a new one. The moving of it to the day following Z1C is an improvement in my eyes. People who work normal Monday-Friday weeks can maybe only afford to take the Friday off work for Z1C, and so to have a challenge on the saturday is only an issue of getting there, and not all the other work stuff.

Lots of people on this forum make a major effort to go to London for challenges, yourself included (as you constantly remind us), but the fact is that this forum is based on challenges on the London Underground, it can't be moved to accommodate anyone. The best that can be done to maximise attendances is to make sure the dates are the most convenient for the largest amount of people. However, for this specific challenge the date has been fixed for many years as the weekend after the Spring Bank Holiday, and that is plenty of notice to make necessary arrangements. Ok, if you can't stay in London for the Friday night for financial or other reasons that's understandable, but is travelling back and forth on consecutive days really any different in any respect other than psychological to having the Spring R15 on say, the Saturday a week or two following the annual Z1C?

Incidentally, I won't be making the Z1C this year folks, unfortunately the date falls on my Final Year Project day, and I'd fail my degree if I don't stand in front of my last 10 weeks' work in a suit for 4 hours. I've known about this clash for many months now, but I wasn't going to try and change convention just for me for this one year. I might possibly make the R15, but that will be a spur of the moment decision.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Entrants:
Soup Dragon
Al
Going Underground
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Is anyone not called Brown allowed to enter? :)
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Hahahaha great point!

Maybe I should ditch my 3 friends for 3 relatives to further the surname connection. Either that or invite Uncle Gordan now he's got a bit more free time on his hands!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Mitchell&BrownLook wrote:Hahahaha great point!

Maybe I should ditch my 3 friends for 3 relatives to further the surname connection. Either that or invite Uncle Gordan now he's got a bit more free time on his hands!
Gordan is your uncle! :shock: You kept that one very quiet.
One day I shall return!
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Give that man an Oscar!

A Gotcha Oscar!
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

I think in light of certain other board members TV antics, we need to now be reminded of the following video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD0VSJlKXEY
waterloo and city
Zone 3

Post by waterloo and city »

Ruling myself 99.9% out of this on a count of GCSE revision. (and no, I'm not going to drag it around with me!)

Adam.
Adam Jones

A would-be Tube Challenger, maybe one day...
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

When are you planning on hitting the Random Generator button SD?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

Soup Dragon wrote:Gordan is your uncle! :shock: You kept that one very quiet.
Wouldn't you?
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I will draw the starting station on Thursday evening, is everyone okay with a 1300 start time? Please let me know if there are any major objections?
One day I shall return!