WOW!

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Cheap Suit
Zone 1

WOW!

Post by Cheap Suit »

:D Hi everyone - what a complete (and very happy) surprise to stumble on this site. I have harboured a deep-seated interest in attempting some kind of tube challenge for a few years - if I have a few hours to kill in London I invariably surf the tube for fun - usually down to the DLR and back into town. I have a vague recollection of some guys doing it on Record Breakers in the 80s - but a dedicated and professional web community....?! BTW I happened upon this site via the Mole's famous underground site(s), which I have followed for some years.

I suspect that, as I am now a happily married academic, the full-on tube challenge should probably not be my first priority in life. However, I am very enthusiastic about the 'Zone 1' challenge or similar - I look forward with anticipation to more news from the site!!! Thanks - you've made my day!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Huzzah! A happy punter - we aim to please.

Well, since you express an interest in the Zone 1 Challenge, you may be interested to read the thread about the next Zone 1 Challenge which will be happening later this year.

I haven't posted it yet but it'll be in the Alternative Challenges section at some point today - honest guv!
Cheap Suit
Zone 1

Post by Cheap Suit »

:idea: Any chance of people posting some more detailed route ideas? I notice (and appreciate) that people will have their secrets but would it be possible to elaborate a bit more than (e.g.) "Amersham to Heathrow Terminal 4"? Just need a few ideas to get started...P.S. I heard somewhere that someone had used a computer to generate the quickest route...any truth in this?
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

Try Alistair Bells route has some good ideas on there, I wont be giving away any of my routes though :wink:
lazza747

Post by lazza747 »

There are a group of challengers documented on the tube challenge website who used Calculus to work out a route but I can't see how that's any substitute for knowing the tube like the back of your hand.

You'll find them here about halfway down the page.
Yorkie
Zone 3

Post by Yorkie »

My hints are as follows:

1)Work out which spurs out of central London will take the longest (and how you can pair them up)
2) This challenge permits the use of Buses and Trains, we know that the current WR holders used buses
3) Check out where the stations are on a street plan, a "Tube map" is no more than a diagram
4) Use all the information you can get at thetube.com Check especially stations with awkward opening times, stations that have awkward interchanges (I have a huge excel file from somewhere listing the number of steps between platforms)
5) Don't be tempted to take the river boat ;)
6) Note that the person who wrote this is a crazy Northerner, and has only ever been on the tube a dozen or so times
7) Get a working timetable (not sure how, you need a "man" on the inside as far as I know)

(Oh, and Geoff's big tip --> plans (where made) are made to be tweaked (occasionally quite extensively))

Edit: I know that the general protocol is not to give much away, I give this much in order that whoever takes it will have an enjoyable day out. I should like to point out that my personal desire is to attempt and to complete, not to break a WR.
lazza747

Post by lazza747 »

Yes, the 'current record holders' did indeed use buses. They're indispensable on any full challenge. In fact, a record time is virtually impossible without them.

River boat??!! Hadn't thought of that but I doubt it's much use given the places it links together.

As for plans are made to be tweaked, yes.

Our prospetive Tube 8 route comprises sections that you always do the same, bookending one huge middle section where we have up to 10 different combinations of options depending on which train comes first. We have no idea what will happen until the day itself but we know what to do and when.

The regular tube challengers will understand the bits you always do the same but it's that middle bit (the middle 12 or 13 hours) that is the key to the whole thing.

I don't think I'd be giving too much away by saying that he who sticks to his plan like glue soon comes unstuck :-)

(Make a note of that quotation someone ...)

That's all you'll get out of me - it's all common sense anyway - no huge secrets in that lot.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

And bear in mind that no matter how good your route(s) are, you still need:

... a bit of sheer luck on the day to not hit any delays or problems with trains, signals, one unders, etc..

... to be fit, so that you can do all the running in adequate time!

... a small backup team whos tube knowledge is as comprehensive as yours, and helps you out at all times. Too many people can ruin it.

That's more than enough help!