Running around the whole of the tube ...

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
geofftech
All Zones

Running around the whole of the tube ...

Post by geofftech »

al
Zone 6

Re: Running around the whole of the tube ...

Post by al »

I'd personally have left out doing the East London Line. What am I talking about - I'd never even consider any of this act of lunacy :!:
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

How on earth did he do the ELL under the by using the method described on the webpage. It seems a rather pointless exercise! And also it says that he has visited 74 out of 270. If you include the former ELL stations then you get 277?
One day I shall return!
LastGrape
Zone 1

Post by LastGrape »

where I’ll lean over the barriers and “touch-out” so I’ve got a record of the journey.
That won't look like suspicious activity.

For a moment I read that he was going to tap his oyster card at every station, but that would probably be something like double the time or so!

His Circle line GPS track goes from Kings Cross anti-clockwise to Westminster (missing 12 stations). I suppose he will cover them on the District and other lines, but by that logic he could have finished at Gloucester Road (5 stations earlier). I wonder if he might miss some of those when doing the mammoth District Line run, but it isn't a great short cut.

The Northern Line he took the Bank/London Bridge route, and the High Barnet branch (with a minor detour to the Mill Hill East station, oh and he jumped Northern Line tracks to include Mornington Crescent). Missing the Edgware branch and Goodge Street station accounts for 10 stations he won't visit on other lines, but he might pass by them to get them counted.

I have the feeling he looks at the stations and picks a nice route between them (for example detouring to see the front of Buckingham Palace). I would want to run "on top of the tracks" as much as research/knowledge of where they curve allows for it (and as much as buildings don't get in the way).
I'm analysing this too much, I'll stop looking at the rest of his tracks for now.
TimMoss
Zone 1

Post by TimMoss »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the interest in our run!

I appreciate that we're probably not being exact about everything - we're doing it more for fun than to set/break any records. The stats on my site (e.g. how many Tube stations) are rather approximate, I know. I just put them up to make following our progress a little bit more interesting.

On the Circle Line we did, of course, run the whole way around but the GPS didn't kick in until halfway! We're hoping to run the other branch of the Northern Line as we're keen to tick off all the stations unique to a line (like Goodge Street) but we'll just see how it goes.

And, lastly, we of course didn't get much use of our Oyster cards on the East London Line but it was an easy one that we could squeeze in on a week night.

Again, thanks for showing an interest.

All the best,
Tim.
http://www.thenextchallenge.org/tube
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Hello Tim, and welcome :)

I think you're totally mad, but good luck to you - I hope you enjoy seeing the tube network in a way that many of us on here never will.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.