Tube Olympics 2010 - Event 6 - Nordic Combined - 02MAR

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Tube Olympics 2010 - Event 6 - Nordic Combined - 02MAR

Post by Going Underground »

al wrote:Two things - firstly one more clarification please! If you are changing lines at a station, am I correct that you only get two points, and not three (two for the change, one for the station)?

Secondly, the attendance list is a bit straggly at the moment, so I think confirmed so far are:

Soup Dragon
Going Underground
mps247
Al
You get 1 point for the station and 2 for the interchange, assuming you have departed within the 60 minute window.. So Northern to Bakerloo at Charing X if doors close in time earns you 3 well deserved points
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

Are you allowed to change out of system, and does this count as a line change?
VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

mullardo wrote:Are you allowed to change out of system, and does this count as a line change?
Yes indeed, so taking the example of the infamous Queensway to Bayswater run it would be 1 point for each station plus 2 points for the change = 4 points total.
One day I shall return!
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

Second question along same lines, is the 2 points for an interchange for a unique interchange or can you do the same interchange later in the hour.

For example Northern Euston -> KXSP, Victoria KXSP -> Euston, Northern Euston -> KXSP...
VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

mullardo wrote:Second question along same lines, is the 2 points for an interchange for a unique interchange or can you do the same interchange later in the hour.

For example Northern Euston -> KXSP, Victoria KXSP -> Euston, Northern Euston -> KXSP...
It says somewhere earlier in the thread that you only score for each unique station visited, so by extension I would say that means you only score for each unique interchange as well.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

But making two different interchanges at the same station would score you the bonus twice, though you only get the 'station point' once? Or am I misunderstanding?

I think I should be able to make it to this, but I'll confirm another time.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

mullardo wrote:Second question along same lines, is the 2 points for an interchange for a unique interchange or can you do the same interchange later in the hour.

Thats a difficult one but I don't think it should score any bonus points for the change as they are pointless.
A similar example could be Circle GPS -> Euston Sq., Met Euston Sq -> GPS, H&C GPS -> Euston Sq.

However if you were to do Northern Euston -> KXSP, Victoria KXSP -> Warren St, Northern Warren St -> Tottenham Ct Road. then all changes would be legitimate.

I wish everyone would stop trying to overcomplicate what is a very simple rule, the TOSA is getting very :twisted: :evil:
One day I shall return!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I think the rules should be

An interchange must be between two different lines. For the purposes of the challenge the subsurface lines all count as one line and the two Northern branches count as two lines. You can only get points for one interchange at each station.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Not so Greatkingrat, for example, Earls Court (District ->) Gloucester Road (Circle ->) High Street Whatsname really needs the District and Circle to be different lines.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

The rule is purely designed to stop competitors just continually changing lines to try and rack up points with meaningless changes. I will try and give an example of the rule again:

Say you are travelling from Camden Town to Moorgate on the Northern Line (Bank Branch), and you decide to change at KXSP to the Victoria Line and go back to Euston, and then switch back to the Northern line to continue to Moorgate. this would score ZERO bonus points, You would only score SIX points for the stations you've visited.

Another example, travelling from Camden Town to TCR on the Northern Line (this time via Mornington Cres.) You change at Euston, Northern (Bank Branch) to KXSP, then on to the Victoria Line to Warren Street and then back onto the Northern Line to TCR. This combo of stations and changes would score you SIX bonus points and SEVEN stations visited = 13 points.

I can't be any clearer than that..... :roll:

Steveooo is going to have fun trying to work out everyones points.
One day I shall return!
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

I shall score everybody's routes with my discretion using the guidelines above, which appear clear enough to me and with which I fully agree. Any complaints regarding my scoring should be forwarded to the TOSA.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Steeevooo wrote:I shall score everybody's routes with my discretion using the guidelines above, which appear clear enough to me and with which I fully agree. Any complaints regarding my scoring should be forwarded to the TOSA.
So basically, what you're saying is, who you want to win, will win ;)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Sam wrote:
Steeevooo wrote:I shall score everybody's routes with my discretion using the guidelines above, which appear clear enough to me and with which I fully agree. Any complaints regarding my scoring should be forwarded to the TOSA.
So basically, what you're saying is, who you want to win, will win ;)
If they are on Steeevooo's quiz team they probably will win :)
One day I shall return!
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Depends if you need to know where Tripoli is :P
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Pray hence what is the reason this event was added to the list Mr Soup Dragon i could have got that day off with advance notice.?