Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Tube Olympics 2010 - Event 6 - Nordic Combined - 02MAR

Post by Soup Dragon »

Date: 02MAR Time: 1800
Starting station: Optional
Quiz Venue: The Prince of Wales Feathers, Warren Street

The final event of the 2010 winter games. The Nordic Combined is a points scoring challenge over two rounds:

Round One - 60 minute tube challenge you must visit as many unique stations as possible within 60 minutes. One point is scored for each station visited and two points for each line change. The line change must be a genuine change of line, you would not score two points for changing between District and Circle lines just for the sake of it. Once you have decided which station to start at you must take the first train in your desired direction after 6pm.

Round Two - Quiz challengers will divide into teams and points scored in the quiz will be added to those scored in the 60 minute challenge. It's important that challengers don't discuss how many points they have scored in round one until after the quiz, otherwise it could influence which team you decide to join.

If you have partnered someone in round one you dont have to be in the same team in round two and can therefore post two individual scores.

The pub for the quiz is The Prince of Wales Feathers at Warren Street and starts at approx 7:30pm. No doubt there will be an opportunity for darts after the quiz for those who wish to improve there TCDL rankings!

Entrants:
Soup Dragon
Last edited by Soup Dragon on 22 Feb 2010, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Tube Olympics 2010 - Event 6 - Nordic Combined - 02MAR

Post by Going Underground »

Entrants:
Soup Dragon
GU

Just to clarify you could start at 0530hrs if you so desired and then come along to the pub later and are you only allowed to start your watch and attempt this once?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

I must say this is a cracking idea for an event, bravo TOSA. I might even bother to turn up
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I'm not sure the frequencies at 05:30 will be good enough to get a good score?
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

As this is on the Tuesday before I run the Dublin Marathon (for which you can sponsor me here: http://www.justgiving.com/steeevooo if you so wish!), I will be tapering and not risking injury by doing the Tube part of this challenge. However, I will be doing the quiz, and will be available to join any team that wishes to bag me upon arrival at the pub - I say that to make it somewhat fairer in that no-one can (dis)advantage themselves by asking me to join their team in advance.

As such, I make the following suggestion to the TOSA: as I will be neutral for the challenge purposes, and will be at the pub from about 6.45pm, how about the entrants hand me their logs for the 60 minute challenge upon arriving at the pub, and I shall calculate the final combined scores?
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

As this is on another Tuesday, sadly I cant come because I'm in work :P
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Steeevooo wrote:As this is on the Tuesday before I run the Dublin Marathon (for which you can sponsor me here: http://www.justgiving.com/steeevooo if you so wish!), I will be tapering and not risking injury by doing the Tube part of this challenge. However, I will be doing the quiz, and will be available to join any team that wishes to bag me upon arrival at the pub - I say that to make it somewhat fairer in that no-one can (dis)advantage themselves by asking me to join their team in advance.

As such, I make the following suggestion to the TOSA: as I will be neutral for the challenge purposes, and will be at the pub from about 6.45pm, how about the entrants hand me their logs for the 60 minute challenge upon arriving at the pub, and I shall calculate the final combined scores?
Agreed Steeevooo, if you can gather the journey log's from each competitor as they arrive at the pub that would be great.

If everyone can keep a log of the time they arrived at each station in Minutes and seconds, and the time that each line change was completed.

The rules are quite simple for this:
For arrival at each station simply note the time of doors opening.
For line changes, the time is taken on doors closing of your departing train (if doors should open and re-close you would have to note the time of the second or subsequent closure).
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Actually I think we are going to have to set a "window" for this otherwise competitors could be able to complete the 1st part during the afternoon when the trains are moving form station to station faster and the interchanges are not as busy as rush hour.

I believe this was intented to be an evening event so how about you have to start between 1730 and 1830 hrs :?:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

The TOSAs original post did say starting after six, but 1730 would allow a safer margin to get back to the quiz
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

al wrote:The TOSAs original post did say starting after six, but 1730 would allow a safer margin to get back to the quiz
Sorry yes I misread the starting time as optional not the station :oops:
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

Whatever the starting time, I'll be there!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

To allow everyone a fair crack of the whip you can start at whatever station you like between 5:30 - 6:30 pm, however, once you have started your watch you are not allowed to reset it.
One day I shall return!
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Is this just Tube stations or can we count DLR and Overground too?
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

jamesthegill wrote:Is this just Tube stations or can we count DLR and Overground too?
Good point, TUBE STATIONS only please, just to keep things simple :-)
One day I shall return!
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Two things - firstly one more clarification please! If you are changing lines at a station, am I correct that you only get two points, and not three (two for the change, one for the station)?

Secondly, the attendance list is a bit straggly at the moment, so I think confirmed so far are:

Soup Dragon
Going Underground
mps247
Al
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.