Tube Olympics 2010 - Event 1 - Biathlon - 13FEB

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Tube Olympics 2010 - Event 1 - Biathlon - 13FEB

Post by Soup Dragon »

Starting Time: 1400 Date: 13th February 2010

This challenge combines the the skills of darts, drinking and tube challenging in one event.
The simple rules are as follows:

1. The event will be played in pairs, which will be selected on the nearest & dearest basis.
2. If there is an odd number of participants the TOSA will not take part but will monitor all teams to ensure fair play.
3. The challenge involves visiting four pubs and playing a game of "Around the clock" at each pub.
4. If you manage to score three consecutive numbers you get one extra throw, i.e. if you throw 1,2,3 you get one dart at 4, if you sucessfully hit 4 you get one dart at 5 and so on.
5. Each game of "Around the clock" must be concluded on bull or 25 before the team can leave the pub.
5a. The final game can only be finished on bullseye.
6. At the start The first seeds will throw 1st and 2nd, followed by the second seeds who throw 3rd and 4th.
7. Each team's watch starts when their first dart is thrown and finishes on bullseye in the final pub.
8. At each pub you must consume 1 pint or non-alcoholic or substitute before departing to the next pub.
8a. For alcholic drinks you can replace 1 pint with a standard glass of wine (175ml) or a double (50ml) for spirits.
9. If either team member does not take a drink there is a 5 minute penalty per missed drink per team member, so if both team members missed a drink the penalty would be 10 minutes.
10. You can travel between pubs on foot or by any means of public transport.
11. The starting pub is the Horse & Groom, the final pub is The Green Man, Hatton Cross. The other 2 pubs will be confirmed shortly.
12. When you arrive at each pub chalk your names on the board and as other teams arrive they must chalk their names below so that teams play in strict rotation.
13. If you find a dartboard in use you will have to use your negotiating skills to get access, this is all part of the challenge!
14. Full rules will be clarified on Saturday.
15. The TOSA's decision is final!

Please add your name if you plan to attend:

Soup Dragon
Last edited by Soup Dragon on 11 Feb 2010, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
One day I shall return!
palkanetoijala31

Re: Tube Olympics 2010 - Event 1 - Biathlon

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Soup Dragon wrote:Starting Time: 1400 Date: 13th February 2010

This challenge combines the the skills of darts, drinking and tube challenging in one event.
The simple rules are as follows:

1. The event will be played in pairs, which will be selected on the nearest & dearest basis.
2. If there is an odd number of participants the TOSA will not take part but will monitor all teams to ensure fair play.
3. The challenge involves visiting four pubs and playing a game of "Around the clock" at each pub.
4. If you manage to score three consecutive numbers you get one extra throw, i.e. if you throw 1,2,3 you get one dart at 4, if you sucessfully hit 4 you get one dart at 5 and so on.
5. Each game of "Around the clock" must be concluded on bull or 25 before the team can leave the pub.
6. At the start The first seeds will throw 1st and 2nd, followed by the second seeds who throw 3rd and 4th.
7. Each team's watch starts when their first dart is thrown and finishes on bullseye in the final pub.
8. At each pub you must consume 1 pint or non-alcoholic or substitute before departing to the next pub.
8a. For alcholic drinks you can replace 1 pint with a standard glass of wine (175ml) or a double (50ml) for spirits.
9. If either team member does not take a drink there is a 5 minute penalty per missed drink per team member, so if both team members missed a drink the penalty would be 10 minutes.
11. The starting pub is the Horse & Groom, the final pub is The Green Man, Hatton Cross. The other 2 pubs will be confirmed shortly.
12. When you arrive at each pub chalk your names on the board and as other teams arrive they must chalk their names below so that teams play in strict rotation.
13. If you find a dartboard in use you will have to use your negotiating skills to get access, this is all part of the challenge!

Soup Dragon
andi and sara
palkanetoijala31

Hmm just 1 question can i cheat wiv rule 13.?
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Hmm just 1 question can i cheat wiv rule 13.?
As in, use force instead of negotiation?
palkanetoijala31

Starkey7 wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:Hmm just 1 question can i cheat wiv rule 13.?
As in, use force instead of negotiation?
no i was thinking of bringing my own dartboard just in case
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I think Rule 13 might prove to be a problem. If someone is in the middle of a game they are not going to stop and let a dozen of us play round the clock however nicely we ask.

I suggest a slight rule change that if the dartboard is in use, you can have your drink, then head straight to the next pub where you have to go round the clock twice.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
palkanetoijala31

can we have a thing like steven karahan did where he random hit a dart into a piece of paper into the dartboard to determine the seeds.?
palkanetoijala31

also for pub 2 say i get there 1st do i have to wait for the others or can i just start straight away if dartboard free and maybe just say get up to 10 team 2 arrive then we play in rotation until team 3 arrive etc.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Soup Dragon wrote:This challenge combines the the skills of ... drinking ...
I bet you wanted to put "sports" there didn't you?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I will be attending and will confirm re Dr Who / Beer Baron

Please be aware that as we are heading of to different pubs at different times so there will NOT be any communal darts available so please make sure that you have a set or if not you will have to "blag" them in each pub...

I believe the other 2 pubs will be in Central London and can be done in ANY order so if you arrive at your second chosen venue and the dartboard is in use you might want to move on to the next one and come back... The round the board "twice" might not work as for example after the Horse & Groom some teams could head to to pub "B" and others to pub "C"

And yes you can start straight away when you arrive at the pub, you don't have to wait for other teams to turn up, same at the Green Man...
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

REVISED RULES v1.02
1. The event will be played in pairs, anyone not having a partner will be paired using the "nearest and dearest" method.
1a. Each team will then select one player to throw nearest the bull to determin the starting order.
11. The starting pub is the Horse & Groom, the final pub is The Green Man, Hatton Cross. The other 2 pubs are The Chandos, St Martins Lane (nearest tube Leics Sq. or Charing X) and The Angel, St Giles High Street, (nearest tube Tottenham Ct. Rd.)
11a. The Chandos and The Angel can be visited in either order, it is your choice which pub you visit first. However both pubs MUST be visited before heading to The Green Man.
12a. You can start playing as soon as you arrive, you don't have to wait for other teams to arrive before you commence play.
13a. If you cannot gain access to the dartboard at The Chandos or The Angel you can try and find a substitute dartboard at another pub (of your choice) or wait until the board becomes free.
16. This isn't as complicated as it sounds!

Tip.... bring your own darts as you may be delayed asking for darts at each pub.

Soup Dragon
Andi & Sara
Going Underground
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Tip 2) Bring your own stick of chalk... :P

Tip 3) PM me with suggested partner "bribes" :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

scrxisi wrote:When you play round the clock, does a double/treble advance you two/three numbers or not (e.g. scoring T1 on the first dart means your next target is 4)? Have seen this variation before, just want to be clear on how it works for this event :)

Very much liking rule 13a now :)
That is indeed a variation but in this game single, double, treble all count the same and only advance you to the next number....
Dr Who
Zone 6

Post by Dr Who »

I'm in.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Soup Dragon
Andi & Sara
Going Underground
Dr Who
greatkingrat

I think I may leave it to the darts to decide who I will be partnered with.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver