Bottle Challenge to exclude Edgware Road B and Marylebone?

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
timwakeling
Zone 1

Bottle Challenge to exclude Edgware Road B and Marylebone?

Post by timwakeling »

Hi

Looking at the new map, following the extension to the Circle line on 13 December, it seems that the Bakerloo line stations Edgware Road and Marylebone now fall outside the Bottle once again. As in fact they do in real life.

I know there has been much discussion on this but I can't find any post-Circle-extension confirmation that these two stations are now excluded from the challenge. Are they? After all, the Map was supposed to be the over-riding adjudicator of such things, and now the Map has changed.

Not that it necessarily makes any difference, as I haven't worked out a quicker way to visit Paddington without going through those stations, but it's a technicality worth ironing out, surely? :D

Tim <><
Starkey7
All Zones

Re: Bottle Challenge to exclude Edgware Road B and Marylebone?

Post by Starkey7 »

I think that there was also a forum ruling stating that whatever changes to the map there might be, the Marylebone question would not be revisited. So it looks like those two stops are here to stay. It's better that way, though; it makes the challenge convex.
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

Starkey7 wrote:I think that there was also a forum ruling stating that whatever changes to the map there might be, the Marylebone question would not be revisited. So it looks like those two stops are here to stay. It's better that way, though; it makes the challenge convex.
I know I asked a while ago whether it could also include the stations on the H&C line between Paddington and Hammersmith and NHG, Holland Park and Shepherd's Bush on the Central line (and Kens Oly?) as as far as I know the actual name of the challenge is The Circle Line Bottle Challenge... To be honest I don't think anybody answered me...
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

Although I know it was agreed on here that the ruling should never change, it's worth considering that Edg Rd and Marylebone are now outside the circle line bottle in every respect, both geographically and on the map. But this is a challenge which has not changed for many years and probably won't do for many years, do we really want to impose a change on it ourselves and basically invalidate the good times that have been set for it.
RichieG wrote:I know I asked a while ago whether it could also include the stations on the H&C line between Paddington and Hammersmith and NHG, Holland Park and Shepherd's Bush on the Central line (and Kens Oly?) as as far as I know the actual name of the challenge is The Circle Line Bottle Challenge... To be honest I don't think anybody answered me...
There is no question on this bit for me. The name is the circle line bottle challenge. Although the full length of the line is now out to Hammersith, the 'bottle' shape is still there and is no different.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Well Dudey, none of the previous times would be invalidated, as all those attempts would still have visited all the required stations!
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

Starkey7 wrote:Well Dudey, none of the previous times would be invalidated, as all those attempts would still have visited all the required stations!
Ah good point, woops
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

We debated this, had a poll, and decided that we should go with the map. And now the map's changed.

I'm not going to offer any opinion, but it would seem to be open to debate again...

By the by, there is now an "Extended Bottle" (or "Big Bottle") challenge, including the Hammersmith section, waiting to be tried.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I say keep it as it is, I don't think we should debate it again.
One day I shall return!
timwakeling
Zone 1

Post by timwakeling »

Thank you for your replies, people! Didn't mean to offend anyone by asking...

Looks like the issue is complicated. Maybe it's best just to leave it as it is. I think the times will improve very slightly now ... presumably since the line is no longer circular, the trains won't have to wait at Gloucester Road and Aldgate to lose time any more. Can only be good news. :wink: