31%
Thursday 24th September
69%

Total votes: 13

mps247
Zone 4

Re: Cannon Street Run IV - Mouse Challenge - 24th September

Post by mps247 »

I made a number of mistakes on my route - the first taking the decision to run between Embankment and Charing Cross. It's simple to get from the SSL platforms at Embankment to the exit, but the Bakerloo line platforms at Charing Cross are further than I thought. I should have doubled back. Another mistake was "doubling-back" three stations as I caught a Charing Cross branch Northern line service at Camden Town by mistake. This meant a run between Warren Street and Euston Square (on which I got lost as the streets look very different after dusk), and a finish in Angel.

Anyway, I got an excuse to use the Waterloo & City line - is it just me, or does it exhibit quite a potent damp odour?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

mps247 wrote:This meant a run between Warren Street and Euston Square (on which I got lost as the streets look very different after dusk), and a finish in Angel.
The Euston Triangle strikes yet again :!: :shock:
How many times is that now :?:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

I don't see how people can get lost between Euston Square and Warren Street either. As long as you're running alongside the UCH (University College Hospital) then you're on the right track. You can't miss the stations at either end.
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

dudey wrote:I don't see how people can get lost between Euston Square and Warren Street either. As long as you're running alongside the UCH (University College Hospital) then you're on the right track. You can't miss the stations at either end.
In my defence, Warren Street's exit is at a crossroad and being the middle of the night, I was disoriented. I ended up running a few metres up Hampstead Road before figuring out that the surrounding buildings looked out of place. It might have cost me a train, but I doubt it cost me anything more.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

dudey wrote:I don't see how people can get lost between Euston Square and Warren Street either. As long as you're running alongside the UCH (University College Hospital) then you're on the right track. You can't miss the stations at either end.
Trust me there is something disorientating in this area, Hassan is now the 5th person that I know of that has gone wrong in the misty and murky waters of The Euston Triangle.... :?
Myself and The Beer Baron got lost twice on the same bottle challenge a while back...
Warren Street to Euston Square eneded up being a run to Goodge Street, train back to Warren Street then a run to Euston before running back to Euston Sq.... :shock:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

Wow, that's some detour :shock:
Luckily, I've been to lectures in a nearby UCL building enough times to know that run quite well - even if only unintentionally!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Well, I'd better post up some things about the winning route.

I did do Charing X as a double back from Embankmenet (via B'loo) but heading back south I had a poor 3 minute wait. It was fortunate I did not have a train in the opposite platform as I was at the wrong end of the train!!!!

Longest wait for a train was waiting for a via Bank train at Kennington- 4 minutes. Very good change at Camden Town- wanted a ChX train and one was on the platform ready! That rarely happens...

I also ran between St Paul's and Barbican, which I don't think anyone has done before before ending at Euiston Sq thus did not interchange between Euston/Eus Sq/Warren St at all but how can anyone get lost between the three is beyond me!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

tangy wrote:I also ran between St Paul's and Barbican, which I don't think anyone has done before before ending at Euiston Sq thus did not interchange between Euston/Eus Sq/Warren St at all but how can anyone get lost between the three is beyond me!
To paraphrase Stephen Wright, the Bermuda Triangle got tired of warm weather. It moved to Euston. Now many tube challengers are missing.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

mps247 wrote:
tangy wrote:I also ran between St Paul's and Barbican, which I don't think anyone has done before before ending at Euiston Sq thus did not interchange between Euston/Eus Sq/Warren St at all but how can anyone get lost between the three is beyond me!
To paraphrase Stephen Wright, the Bermuda Triangle got tired of warm weather. It moved to Euston. Now many tube challengers are missing.
We did this run today its easy but we were slightly a bit pissed off after having done it though. :!:
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
mps247 wrote:
We did this run today its easy but we were slightly a bit pissed off after having done it though. :!:
I can imagine - very bad luck, especially so late in the day!

Dare I say it, the run from Euston Square to Warren Street is very easy - it's in the other direction where the Euston Triangle crops up.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

mps247 wrote: Dare I say it, the run from Euston Square to Warren Street is very easy - it's in the other direction where the Euston Triangle crops up.
Agreed......and Euston Square to Euston
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Just realised we all completely forgot about Talk Like a Pirate Day yesterday :o

That means that Cannon St Run V is now due. I'm not sure what there is left to do though as we have already done a Z1, Bottle, R15 and Mouse.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

greatkingrat wrote:Just realised we all completely forgot about Talk Like a Pirate Day yesterday :o

That means that Cannon St Run V is now due. I'm not sure what there is left to do though as we have already done a Z1, Bottle, R15 and Mouse.
All Lines?
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

jamesthegill wrote:
greatkingrat wrote:Just realised we all completely forgot about Talk Like a Pirate Day yesterday :o

All Lines?
Oh dear we did forget all about that where is our Captain Jack Sparrow AKA Soup Dragon :?:

Yes we did discuss the options for Cannon Street V a while back and all lines was one as was full network :lol:

There were some others as well I think such as alphabet C :arrow: B but I think all lines could be the favourite....
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Antony is heading of to NZ on Sunday for a few days but has said that we will sort out a "belated" Cannon Street run V in October...... 8)