128 Snake Challenge - 24th July

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

128 Snake Challenge - 24th July

Post by Going Underground »

128 Snake plan of day

Meet at Epping 1115 to 1120 hours latest in order to organise the teams and draw one of the two possible routes. I will PM all competitors my mobile number in case they are running late. Ideally we want to get the 1st team away shortly after 1130...

Maximum of 4 teams to leave within 20 minutes of each other.
Watch starts when doors close at Epping and is to be stopped when doors open at Heathrow T5 If teams are caught on route they still continue to finish and can try and break away again at the interchanges, unless all teams are together at any one time a joint decision can be agreed on to abort.

After the challenge head back to Hatton Cross and walk to The Green Man Pub where Matt & Sam will meet us and collect the times.

Route(s) as follows with colour of relevant departure line shown

Epping - Woodford - Stratford (via Hainault) - Waterloo - Elephant & Castle - Stockwell - Victoria - Mile End - Liverpool Street - Moorgate - Bank - Holborn - Leicester Square - Charing Cross - Oxford Circus - Tottenham Court Road - Euston - Kings Cross - Baker Street - Wembley Park (via Jubilee) - Rayners Lane - Ealing Common - Ealing Broadway - Bond Street - Green Park - Gloucester Road or South Kensington - High Street Kensington - Earls Court - Acton Town (via District) - Heathrow T4 - Heathrow T123 - Heathrow T5

OR Stratford - London Bridge - Elephant & Castle - Waterloo - Stockwell which is the same number of stations but involves an extra interchange.

Don't forget to add your name to the attendance list and if anything is not clear or you have any queries then post away :P

Original post
We attempted to complete this last year and the hounds caught the hares at Ealing Common
:(

It would be nice to finish the course and any of the above dates would be suitable so please let me know your preference...

Please see link to last years topic, which includes stations to be visited and starting/meeting time which I propose we keep the same.

Meet up afterwards in The Green Man near Hatton X tube for some bar billiards :D

http://www.tubeforum.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 4&start=15
Last edited by Going Underground on 19 Jul 2009, 20:46, edited 2 times in total.
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Re: 127 Snake Challenge - 21st, 22nd or 24th July

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

I'd just been thinking today that I'd like to have a go at something next week, so I'm more than happy to come along. Any of the dates are fine for me, so as long as we decide on one by the end of this week I'm happy. I admit I read the start of the thread below before, but gave up on it as I thought it was an odd idea. However I now see the attraction of it, which was what dismissed it for me before, it's total luck! Game on!
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

24th would be best for me as I'm going up to London anyway, and I might have a Czech girl to induct into the joys of Tube Challenging.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

jamesthegill wrote:24th would be best for me as I'm going up to London anyway, and I might have a Czech girl to induct into the joys of Tube Challenging.
It's not a bad one for an induction, no out of station runs although it does get a little fast 'n' furious in Central London at times as Richie G wil confirm.... :wink:

So one vote for any day and one vote for 24th so far....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

You can do a 127 snake if you want to. Personally I'd rather do a 128 snake :P
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

I'm up for any of those dates.
I'm guessing we team up at Epping, I probably won't bring anyone else this time...
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

As GU has said, the Snake is probably one of the best ones for somebody to be introduced to Challenging, as it's a set route with no overground runs. The central London bit is a little hectic, with barely enough time to get your breath before you're on a run through a station again, but outside of the city bits it's probably one of the more relaxing challenges :)

Unfortunately, next week I'm getting all sorted for going on holiday for the next two weeks so won't be able to come along myself but hope you have a good time without me (difficult, I know!)

(BTW, isn't it a 129?)
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

I would like to join you for this, and complete my first challenge. (The overground runs have made me put off coming for other challenges)

I am free on the 21st or 24th, so my vote (If it counts) is for NOT doing it on the 22nd. EDIT: Preferably the 24th.

I would need someone experienced who i can go with, so If anyone wants a noob...
VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

greatkingrat wrote:You can do a 127 snake if you want to. Personally I'd rather do a 128 snake :P
Has something changed since we did this last year Peter? If so could you please confirm the route....Cheers :)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Edgemaster wrote:I'm up for any of those dates.
I'm guessing we team up at Epping, I probably won't bring anyone else this time...
Nice one, yes we can sort the teams out at Epping. Looks like there are a few people turning up individually......
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Going Underground wrote:
greatkingrat wrote:You can do a 127 snake if you want to. Personally I'd rather do a 128 snake :P
Has something changed since we did this last year Peter? If so could you please confirm the route....Cheers :)
I think I'll give you all a few days to work it out before I tell you the route :evil: It is still Epping - Heathrow though.

Friday 24th would be best for me, as long as I can get the day off.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

greatkingrat wrote:
Going Underground wrote:
I think I'll give you all a few days to work it out before I tell you the route :evil: It is still Epping - Heathrow though.

Friday 24th would be best for me, as long as I can get the day off.
Peter is correct, there is indeed a 128 which involves visiting Euston which was not in the 127 route. It will be interesting to see if myself and Peter have the same route.
One day I shall return!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

That sounds like the same route as mine.

So the new 128 snake is

Epping - Woodford - Stratford (via Hainault) - Waterloo - Elephant & Castle - Stockwell - Victoria - Mile End - Liverpool Street - Moorgate - Bank - Holborn - Leicester Square - Charing Cross - Oxford Circus - Tottenham Court Road - Euston - Kings Cross - Baker Street - Wembley Park (via Jubilee) - Rayners Lane - Ealing Common - Ealing Broadway - Bond Street - Green Park - Gloucester Road - High Street Kensington - Earls Court - Acton Town (via District) - Heathrow T4 - Heathrow T123 - Heathrow T5

The other alternative is Stratford - London Bridge - Elephant & Castle - Waterloo - Stockwell which is the same number of stations but involves an extra interchange.
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

Did Hakan ought to act as a referee in confirming that these are indeed the only 128 routes in existence, and that there isn't a 129?

I believe GU should have the say so on this as he is the event organiser, making him the equivalent of the BERC. If GU agrees with me, is it also worthwhile emailing Hakan rather than waiting for him to read this, as no doubt it will take some time for his software of old to be re-written and fired into life again, and we haven't masses of time for such a confirmation. (I say this guessing that programming will take ages, I've no idea personally!)

Also, perhaps from now in this thread GU should no longer be called the BERC equivalent, but his job title should be that of "Snake Charmer".
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Mitchell&BrownLook wrote:Also, perhaps from now in this thread GU should no longer be called the BERC equivalent, but his job title should be that of "Snake Charmer".
Given the deprecating acronyms so far, how about the Snake Objective Director, or SOD?
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.