Random 15 Championship 2009/10

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
mps247
Zone 4

Re: Random 15 Championship 2009/10

Post by mps247 »

joy54 wrote:I make it 13 closed on the 26th and 11 or 12 closed on the 19th
The Northern line will call at Moorgate on the 26th, so there are 12 closed stations. As you said, on the 19th Marble Arch, Warren Street and Holloway Road (partly) will be closed. However, you can still pass through them, so I think there will be 9 stations that you cannot "visit" on the 19th.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

mps247 wrote: The Northern line will call at Moorgate on the 26th, so there are 12 closed stations.
Ah yes I forgot about the Northern line.
mps247 wrote: As you said, on the 19th Marble Arch, Warren Street and Holloway Road (partly) will be closed. However, you can still pass through them, so I think there will be 9 stations that you cannot "visit" on the 19th.
Is that how it has worked before, you must do a pass through?
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

joy54 wrote:Is that how it has worked before, you must do a pass through?
I think so, because we haven't excluded Blackfriars from any draws. Having said that, I might be mistaken - perhaps we should wait for confirmation about this from the BERC.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

greatkingrat wrote:
19TH SEPT
Whitechapel - Upney (Dist/H&C)
Waterloo - Stanmore (Jub)

26TH SEPT
Kings Cross - Moorgate (Circle)
Edgware Rd - Barking (H&C)
Harrow-on-the-Hill - Aldgate (Met)
Walthamstow - Brixton (Vic)

3RD OCT
Harrow-on-the-Hill - Aldgate (Met)
Walthamstow - Brixton (Vic)
Although the 26th looks bad, most of the closures share parts of the same route, so it is really just the following:

No service Kings Cross - Moorgate via Farringdon
No Jubilee Waterloo - Baker Street, and no service of any kind north of Baker Street (for our purposes)
No Victoria Line
Baker Street, GPS and Euston Square will be slow to get to as they only have the Circle line

I think it could be a lot worse, the Vic is always closed (or so it seems) and it will make a change that the Jubilee is open for the Waterloo - North Greenwich section. It's no big deal losing the Jubliee stations north of Baker Street (at least we can't get Willesden Green!). I don't think bunching will be any more endemic than last time if we go for the 26th! (Although if the other dates are chosen I should still be OK to attend).
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

Of those three dates, the 26th is the one I can't do.
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

scrxisi wrote:If you pushed it back to October 3rd there's a mild chance I could make it, however if the business proposition is a September Saturday, then in the style of everyone's (including joy54) favourite Dragons, I'll tell you where I am on this:

I canneh make any Saturdays this month, and it is for that reason that I'll have to say “I'm out” :)
Slight spelling mistake there it's "I'm oot".

Come on Matt these are the basics.
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

I'm out for Oct 3rd, for the small matter of moving stuff into a uni hall of residence near Kensington.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

scrxisi wrote:It's definitely the case that you pass through unavailable stations if that is possible - e.g. Blackfriars has never been excluded as a passthrough is possible there.

The BERC will confirm this I'm sure :)
Although I am the SOD and not the BERC I can indeed confirm this to be correct :P
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Going Underground wrote:
scrxisi wrote:It's definitely the case that you pass through unavailable stations if that is possible - e.g. Blackfriars has never been excluded as a passthrough is possible there.

The BERC will confirm this I'm sure :)
Although I am the SOD and not the BERC I can indeed confirm this to be correct :P
can we have a decision on which date i can make every saturday :D
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I believe the BERC will be on later to post a Poll that also includes 3rd Oct... This would seem the best solution
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

Come on BERC - we need an answer :D
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Sorry for the delay everyone. I've set up a seperate poll for the date for Round 2 of the R15 Championship.
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Current table after 3 rounds (28-11-2009):
1. 36pts Antony Brown (J) (3)
2. 33pts Tom Wood (J) (3)
3. 32pts Steven Karahan (J) (3)
4. 28pts Peter Smyth (J) (2)
5. 26pts John Stark (J) (2)
6. 22pts Al Brown (J) (2)
7. 20pts Phil Young (J) (1)
8. 17pts Kevin Brown (3)
9. 17pts Richie Graham (J) (3)
10. 13pts Martin Hazel (J) (3)
11. 11pts Matthew Scrivin (2)
12. 8pts Sara Wearn (J) (1)
13. 5pts Ryan Brown (1)
14. 4pts Hassan Chagani (1) & Andi James (1)
16. 3pts Hajime Urata (1)
17. 1pt Adam & Ian Jones (1)
(J) = Joker Played (3) = Number of rounds entered
One day I shall return!
JoeGJ1984
Zone 3

Post by JoeGJ1984 »

This is my first post on this forum and there are a few questions I want to ask re the random 15 championship:

Firstly, is it OK to 'come in' late in the championship, i.e. enter a round without having been in the previous rounds? Because I was half-thinking of going to the next round in January.

Also, I get the general idea, but what actually happens during a round? Do you usually meet in the entrance hall of the starting station (outside the ticket barriers. Because I would imagine most people getting to the start station by travelling on a tube train)? What about stations with several entrances/exits? (I think Oxford Circus is one such example). Would there be an easy way (if I do come) to find everybody (given that I don't know any of you)? How do people know what routes people have taken? Do you need to get witnesses or anything? Also, would the results be announced in the pub afterwards? What about people's times? How will they be measured? Will an ordinary wristwatch be used?

Also, if I do come, I'll probably be coming down and back by train on the day, which means the train I will take to get to London will arrive at Marylebone station at 11.23am which means that the start time for round 3 (12.00) was a bit too early for me to have made it, particularly at Clapham Common, which is a bit 'out of the way'. Could you have a later start time next time (say 1pm)? (If it's somewhere like Oxford Circus, it doesn't matter too much, but Clapham Common is a bit of a distance away. The challenge looks like enough rushing around without having to rush to get to the starting station on time.) And what time would the results be announced (I would have to get a train at 19.24 from Marylebone)?

Would you be able to team me up with somebody if I do come? Or would I be able to do the challenge on my own? Also, how far out may the stations be?
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

[quote="JoeGJ1984"]This is my first post on this forum and there are a few questions I want to ask re the random 15 championship:

Firstly, is it OK to 'come in' late in the championship, i.e. enter a round without having been in the previous rounds? Because I was half-thinking of going to the next round in January. yes that is fine to come in

Also, I get the general idea, but what actually happens during a round? Do you usually meet in the entrance hall of the starting station

we try and find the best place to meet outside the station depending on obviously which 1 it is.?

(outside the ticket barriers. Because I would imagine most people getting to the start station by travelling on a tube train)? What about stations with several entrances/exits? (I think Oxford Circus is one such example). Would there be an easy way (if I do come) to find everybody (given that I don't know any of you)? How do people know what routes people have taken? Do you need to get witnesses or anything?

its usually given on good faith so no witnesses or evidence needed but to show ur route afterwards is probably a good idea

Also, would the results be announced in the pub afterwards? yes and the berc does very good announcing What about people's times? How will they be measured? Will an ordinary wristwatch be used? i use my wristwatch for timing purposes

Also, if I do come, I'll probably be coming down and back by train on the day, which means the train I will take to get to London will arrive at Marylebone station at 11.23am which means that the start time for round 3 (12.00) was a bit too early for me to have made it, particularly at Clapham Common, which is a bit 'out of the way'. Could you have a later start time next time (say 1pm)? (If it's somewhere like Oxford Circus, it doesn't matter too much, but Clapham Common is a bit of a distance away. The challenge looks like enough rushing around without having to rush to get to the starting station on time.) And what time would the results be announced (I would have to get a train at 19.24 from Marylebone)?

Would you be able to team me up with somebody if I do come? Or would I be able to do the challenge on my own? Also, how far out may the stations be?

they usually in zone 1&2 unless special rules im sure somebody might be happy to team up with u on the day if i go i do it seeing as i have no hope of winning.