Random 15 Championship 2009/10

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Re: Random 15 Championship 2009/10

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

jamesthegill wrote:
Mitchell&BrownLook wrote:Yes! It could be the Tube X Games!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Games
Extreme tube challenging? One or two ideas spring to mind, none of which are unoffensive...
Starkey7 wrote:How about the Tube X-Factor?
Now that is offensive John.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Beg pardon, I retract that immediately.
JoeGJ1984
Zone 3

Post by JoeGJ1984 »

I seem to remember somebody taking a video of the BERC announcing the results - any chance of somebody putting it up on youtube or somewhere?
JoeGJ1984
Zone 3

Post by JoeGJ1984 »

Just noticed at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnew ... 059248_TfL regarding London Overground closures that it notes towards the bottom that "there will be no service between Richmond and Stratford most weekends until May 2011." Which, for the London Overground round, will likely take out the whole North London Line (looks as if it might be hard to get much notice on when it will be open). This is in addition to the complete closure of the Gospel Oak to Stratford section which ends on 31 May. It also notes engeneering works taking place on "some weekends between Gospel Oak and Barking (until May 2011)".

Looks as if we'll have a difficult time finding a weekend when the NLL isn't completely closed (and if we do, we may not have much notice).

Still, I think waiting until June is a good idea to do the final round of the R15 with the London Overground stations. And I think the 5th round should be in April to give a gap of 2 months between each round.

Now is IMO a good time for the BERC to set up a poll for the date of the 5th round in April.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

It will be difficult to find a weekend that the Overground is totally open. However, most closures are on a Sunday and the full network is often open on a Saturday. I don't think it will be too much of an issue.
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

JoeGJ1984 wrote:I seem to remember somebody taking a video of the BERC announcing the results - any chance of somebody putting it up on youtube or somewhere?
The video is now available on the Tube Olympics YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LteCk0amEEI
One day I shall return!
JoeGJ1984
Zone 3

Post by JoeGJ1984 »

As a matter of curiosity, what happens if several different participants/teams finish at the same station on the same train? Because they would in theory have the exact same times, but in practice, the times are likely to be a bit different (depending on everybody's accuracy with the stopwatch). I noticed on the last round, there were several equal times. Did the people actually mention the same time to the second? How is this done? (Because it would be unfair for somebody to win over somebody else finishing at the same actual time, but ending up with a time of 1 second faster).
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

JoeGJ1984 wrote:As a matter of curiosity, what happens if several different participants/teams finish at the same station on the same train? Because they would in theory have the exact same times, but in practice, the times are likely to be a bit different (depending on everybody's accuracy with the stopwatch). I noticed on the last round, there were several equal times. Did the people actually mention the same time to the second? How is this done? (Because it would be unfair for somebody to win over somebody else finishing at the same actual time, but ending up with a time of 1 second faster).
All of the teams will use the fastest time recorded :)
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

You will also get different times because not all teams use the same door positions or carriages. My time for the R15 in question was actually 1 second quicker than the other teams, so on this occasion we took the time of the majority of teams.
One day I shall return!
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Also, stopwatches aren't 'perfect' so it's quite possible (though perhaps not in the scope of a 2-hour challenge) that even if they were started and stopped EXACTLY simultaneously they would show different times.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

A very good point proved on the Tube Olympics R15 recently. Of course everyones watch was started at the same time but when I finished the challenge I found my watch said I had completed the challenge six minutes faster than other teams who alighted with me on the same train!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

tangy wrote:A very good point proved on the Tube Olympics R15 recently. Of course everyones watch was started at the same time but when I finished the challenge I found my watch said I had completed the challenge six minutes faster than other teams who alighted with me on the same train!
there is 1 word for that cheat! :lol: