Zone 1 interchange challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Zoe
Zone 2

Re: Zone 1 interchange challenge

Post by Zoe »

Going Underground wrote:Well I have now worked out a route for this which has 28 changes most of then in very quick succession, I think this is going to be a rather sweaty and head spinning challenge... :|
I have also worked a route out, also with 28 changes.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I have a 27 change route. I wonder if 26 if theoretically possible?
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

It can certainly be done with 24 changes (not counting start and end stations as changes) if you're allowed to pass through interchanges and not count that as your visit. But under that rule, you could potentially be going half way round the circle line between changes, so number of changes isn't necessarily the best metric.
"This train is for King George the Fifth. So you can't go on it."
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

OK, a bit of Hakan-style number crunching later and I can say that there are no perfect routes that visit all zone 1 interchanges without revisiting any. However, there are 5 mostly-similar routes (not including reversals) which visit all of them except one particular station...
"This train is for King George the Fifth. So you can't go on it."
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

scrxisi wrote:Off on a tangent, we should also re-crunch the snake as a large chunk of it has gone for a walk over to the dark (orange) side.
Yes good shout the snake will have a new configuration.......and needs to be attempted some time soon I feel.... :)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

scrxisi wrote:Off on a tangent, we should also re-crunch the snake as a large chunk of it has gone for a walk over to the dark (orange) side.

I've recrunched it desktop stylie and I reckon that 125 is possible? Does anyone have any advance on 125?
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Soup Dragon wrote:

I've recrunched it desktop stylie and I reckon that 125 is possible? Does anyone have any advance on 125?
If anyone can work out a new map for the revised maximum snake stations that would be excellent....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

Please define the "snake"
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

jbom1 wrote:Please define the "snake"
It started life here, I can't seem to find the other pages that we had for this :?

http://tubeforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... &sk=t&sd=a
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

I was just researching the snake challenge planned for next week, when I came across this mesmerising plan of an alternative challenge established by Zoe. The agreement written was that this challenge wouldn't be attempted until August 2009 when the Bank and Monument interchange reopened, as at the time the works were quite new. As August now isn't very far off I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know of an exact date when the Bank and Monument Interchange reopens?
2) Are people still interested in doing this? (This especially goes for Zoe as the creator of this challenge.)

I'd certainly love to, even if it does sound like a headache followed by a sweaty run!
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Mitchell&BrownLook wrote: 1) Does anyone know of an exact date when the Bank and Monument Interchange reopens?
2) Are people still interested in doing this? (This especially goes for Zoe as the creator of this challenge.)

1) No idea
2) Probably against the best interests of my health and well-being, I would be interested. Nearly 3 hours of heart attack inducing running sounds great :shock: . Have my first route planned already - if I was capable of running faster than a snail it would be a winner! (Honest :D )
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
ian13
Zone 1

Post by ian13 »

Sounds like a challenging first attempt at a challenge, but I'd be up for it.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum.. :D

I would say this is probably the toughest challenge so far suggested. Having done the all lines a few times that is one of the most tiring and this would top that :!:
ian13
Zone 1

Post by ian13 »

Thank you, and it would sure keep us all fit :).
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Going Underground wrote:Hi Ian and welcome to the forum.. :D

I would say this is probably the toughest challenge so far suggested. Having done the all lines a few times that is one of the most tiring and this would top that :!:
i propose a full network where u couldnt wait for any buses or trains or trams if u have to change trains u be forced to get out of station and run to where u want ha ha.