New Random 15 Championship season.

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

New Random 15 Championship season.

Post by tangy »

The BERC here to sort out dates for the 2018/19 Random 15 Championship.

There is no Tube Olympics this year, so will be looking at the usual "one round roughly every two months" scenario with three normal rounds and three twist rounds.

We have the first two rounds pretty much fixed already, these are:

Round 1: Saturday 22nd September (Normal)- Cannon Street Run
Round 2: Saturday 17th November (Champion's Twist)- day after Children in Need

Round 6 will be in its usual slot- the day after the Zone 1 Challenge Cup (on Saturday 1st June 2019).

I am looking for the other rounds to be in early January (National Rail twist), late February (normal) and early April (twist round) but obviously avoiding Easter.

So I am asking you the challengers... is there any dates you definitely CANNOT attend or is there other events that I could tie an R15 onto (e.g. Comic/Sport Relief). If so speak up NOW...or don't complain when the chosen date does not fit your other commitments!

Thanks
Tangy- The BERC.
Last edited by tangy on 30 Jun 2018, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
dstock17
Zone 5

Re: New Random 15 Championship season.

Post by dstock17 »

With 2 days to spare he has kept his word πŸ˜ƒ interesting dates i will attend round 1
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Those two dates are good for me :)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

For the unconfirmed 3 rounds-

Round 3 - Saturday 12th or 19th January 2019 look to be your best dates (Saturday 5th Jan a bit too close to New Year and people may still be off on holiday).

Round 4 & 5 - Easter is late next year (Sunday 21st April 2019 is Easter Sunday) so most schools will be off on holiday the 2 weeks before that. Comic Relief is Friday 15th March 2019. Therefore, my suggestion would be Round 4 on Saturday 16th March 2019 and Round 5 on Saturday 27th April 2019 (avoiding Easter Holidays). This does put it on the same weekend as the London Marathon like Round 5 this year!
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

Hopefully I have a place in London marathon I would recommend not as security would be very tight.
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

dstock17 wrote: ↑01 Jul 2018, 16:16 Hopefully I have a place in London marathon I would recommend not as security would be very tight.
Not been an issue previously where we have used this weekend at least twice...
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Although January is down as the 'National Rail' twist. it will also be the first R15 after the opening of the central section of Crossrail.

Cause for a 'commemorative start' at one of the Crossrail stations?
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

RJSRdg wrote: ↑02 Jul 2018, 00:37 Although January is down as the 'National Rail' twist. it will also be the first R15 after the opening of the central section of Crossrail.

Peter has already broached this idea on the Facebook group and we are discussing how it would work with regards to the ticket barriers determining whether it is the "same or different station" as applies to the NR twist in particular.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

tangy wrote: ↑02 Jul 2018, 08:39
RJSRdg wrote: ↑02 Jul 2018, 00:37 Although January is down as the 'National Rail' twist. it will also be the first R15 after the opening of the central section of Crossrail.

Peter has already broached this idea on the Facebook group and we are discussing how it would work with regards to the ticket barriers determining whether it is the "same or different station" as applies to the NR twist in particular.
I was under the impression (the) CrossElizabethRailLine would not be separate stations from the tube stations they will link with, much like the Overground in many ways. Farringdon springs to mind immediately: are Farringdon NR and Farringdon subsurface listed as two stations for an NR twist? Because to my mind they really ought not to be.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

As Tangy has said, it depends whether you need to pass through barriers to get from one station to another.

For Network Rail R15 purposes, the Underground stations at Paddington, Marylebone, Euston, KXSP, Liverpool Street, London Bridge, Waterloo and Victoria count as separate stations to their NR counterparts (and the 2 LU stations at Paddington are separate to each other) because you have to pass through barriers to get between them.

On the other hand, Ealing Broadway, Kensington Olympia, West Brompton, Wimbledon, Stratford and I'm sure a fair number of others, count as being the same station as their NR counterparts because you don't need to pass through a barrier. (Nor do Richmond, Kew Gardens, Gunnersbury and stations from Queens Park to Harrow & Wealdstone because NR/LO and London Underground use the same rails).
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Rickmansworth to Amersham too.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

RJSRdg wrote: ↑02 Aug 2018, 20:26 As Tangy has said, it depends whether you need to pass through barriers to get from one station to another.

For Network Rail R15 purposes, the Underground stations at Paddington, Marylebone, Euston, KXSP, Liverpool Street, London Bridge, Waterloo and Victoria count as separate stations to their NR counterparts (and the 2 LU stations at Paddington are separate to each other) because you have to pass through barriers to get between them.

On the other hand, Ealing Broadway, Kensington Olympia, West Brompton, Wimbledon, Stratford and I'm sure a fair number of others, count as being the same station as their NR counterparts because you don't need to pass through a barrier. (Nor do Richmond, Kew Gardens, Gunnersbury and stations from Queens Park to Harrow & Wealdstone because NR/LO and London Underground use the same rails).
I used a similar definition for my 60+ Card Challenge in March. Having carefully researched all potential shared/distinct stations, I came up with the list described on the 60+ Challenge website: https://60pluschallenge.wordpress.com/the-stations/
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

tangy wrote: ↑02 Jul 2018, 08:39

Seems like this won't be possible anyway: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45367990

I went looking for confirmation on the TfL website, but couldn't immediately find anything.

Maybe it'll be ready for the start of next year's R15 season.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

xcooler123 wrote: ↑01 Jul 2018, 16:10 For the unconfirmed 3 rounds-

Round 3 - Saturday 12th or 19th January 2019 look to be your best dates (Saturday 5th Jan a bit too close to New Year and people may still be off on holiday).

Round 4 & 5 - Easter is late next year (Sunday 21st April 2019 is Easter Sunday) so most schools will be off on holiday the 2 weeks before that. Comic Relief is Friday 15th March 2019. Therefore, my suggestion would be Round 4 on Saturday 16th March 2019 and Round 5 on Saturday 27th April 2019 (avoiding Easter Holidays). This does put it on the same weekend as the London Marathon like Round 5 this year!
Round 5 we could reintroduce the R26 starting at Greenwich and finishing at green park as per 2014.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

No sign-up thread for round 2 yet?