Zone 1 day 2013- Friday 31st May 2013

All you need to know and discuss about the 2013 Zone 1 Challenge.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: Zone 1 day 2013- Friday 31st May 2013

Post by tractakid »

Shut up, baldy!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

You're seriously outnumbered :-p
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Like the hairs on your head?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

What time might you guys be in the pub?
The King is back! Long live The King!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

MylesHSG wrote:What time might you guys be in the pub?
The timetable of events is shown on page 1, we have the upstairs bar booked from 1700
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

tangy wrote:
MylesHSG wrote:What time might you guys be in the pub?
The timetable of events is shown on page 1, we have the upstairs bar booked from 1700
Except you've contradicted yourself as the timetable says it's booked from 1630...
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The official results from the 2013 Zone 1 Challenge Day

There was 14 competitors split into 8 teams. The start station was Regent's Park.

So in reverse order...

8th: 66 Feet Under (Hakan Wolge and Patrick Sillen), 03:17:06 finishing at Vauxhall.
7th: Siddon Nancy (Matt Nunn and James Tong), 03:14:14 finishing at Marylebone.
6th: Don't Look Back in Ongar (Damian Cook, Kevin Brown and Robbie Mansell), 03:09:00 finishing at Vauxhall.
5th: I Hope the Network Isn't Acton up Today (Peter Smyth), 02:59:01 fininishing at Vauxhall.
4th: The Chalk Farm-acist and the Patient (Glen Bryant and Adham Fisher), 02:56:41 finishing at Vauxhall.
2nd=: I Chancery Laned the Bank on this Route, but it Went Down the Waterloo (Nigel White), 02:52:15 finishing at Vauxhall.
2nd=: The Goodge, the Bank and the Upney (Andrew Chilcraft and Ric Brickenbury), 02:52:15 finishing at Vauxhall.
1st: What's That Coming Over the Hill? Is it a C Stock? Is it a C Stock? (Tangy), 02:50:53 fininishing at Marylebone.

Best team name: Don't Look Back in Ongar

Highest score in the quiz: 42 (out of 60) by team Don't Look Back in Ongar (plus Myles Swaine-Grey tagging on).

The Zone 1 bag and wheel nut covers get packed away for another year.

Signed:
The BOZO.
Last edited by tangy on 01 Jun 2013, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

tubeguru wrote:
tractakid wrote:Well, one thing I now won't be doing tomorrow is First Great Western Driver spotting.
They took me off my London job and sent me down the shed instead.
And then they sent me back to Plymouth station, put me in a taxi, and sent me down to Par to do two trips to Newquay. My best time was 45 minutes 20 seconds.

Member of sweet FA
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

tangy wrote:The official results from the 2013 Zone 1 Challenge Day

There was 14 competitors split into 8 teams. The start station was Regent's Park.

So in reverse order...

8th: 66 Feet Under (Hakan Wolge and Patrick Sillen), 03:17:06 finishing at Vauxhall.
7th: Siddon Nancy (Matt Nunn and James Tong), 03:14:14 finishing at Marylebone.
6th: Don't Look Back in Ongar (Damian Cook, Kevin Brown and Robbie Mansell), 03:09:00 finishing at Vauxhall.
5th: I Hope the Network Isn't Acton up Today (Peter Smyth), 02:59:01 fininishing at Vauxhall.
4th: The Chalk Farm-acist and the Patient (Glen Bryant and Adham Fisher), 02:46:41 finishing at Vauxhall.
2nd=: I Chancery Caned the Bank on this Route, but it Went Down the Waterloo (Nigel White), 02:52:15 finishing at Vauxhall.
2nd=: The Goodge, the Bank and the Upney (Andrew Chilcraft and Ric Brickenbury), 02:52:15 finishing at Vauxhall.
1st: What's That Coming Down the Track? Is it a C Stock? Is it a C Stock? (Tangy), 02:50:53 fininishing at Marylebone.
Thanks to Tangy for a great day, superbly organised. I'll post a write up of my attempt when I get time later.

Presumably the 4th place time above should be 2:56:41?
Also my handwriting is so awful but my team name was supposed to be "I Chancery Laned the Bank on this Route, but it Went Down the Waterloo" which is still a dire effort.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I have to say that I am disappointed in the puns this year. More effort must be made next year.

Member of sweet FA
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Nigel wrote: Thanks to Tangy for a great day, superbly organised. I'll post a write up of my attempt when I get time later.

Presumably the 4th place time above should be 2:56:41?
Also my handwriting is so awful but my team name was supposed to be "I Chancery Laned the Bank on this Route, but it Went Down the Waterloo" which is still a dire effort.
Thanks for the minor corrections, these have now been edited.

Tangy.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Great day, excellent quiz and a big thanks to Martin for superb organisation and arranging the prizes and a fine victory as well :D

Also thanks to Martin's dad for selecting what was clearly the best team name :wink:

And finally well done to everyone that took part and made the effort to attend from far and wide and overseas which made this another really enjoyable Z1 day 8)

Looking forward to 2014....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

2014 Zone One, I will rule myself out of now! :mrgreen:
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

A very enjoyable day, well organised by Tangy, with generous prizes.

Regent's Park was drawn as the starting station, which pleased me, as I thought my route for this was a bit different, and I wanted to try to avoid last year's situation when Peter and I followed exactly the same route.

At Regent's Park, all but two teams decided to head north. So the first run was going to be between the two Paddingtons. Having got slightly lost at Paddington last year, I had checked it out a few days ago and decided that it was now marginally quicker to run down the edge of the station rather than through the middle of the concourse and up the ramp. I always find the first run the hardest and was surprised that only Adham was with me when I reached the H&C station. There was still an eastbound train in platform when I got there, but the doors had closed and it pulled out with not another train for 4 minutes. In those four minutes all the other teams made it to next train in time.

Various teams peeled off at other changes, until when we got to the Goodge Street to Russell Square Run there was just Peter and the Ric/Tractakid team left. I had luck and was not delayed on the major road road crossings, but at Russell Square there was only one lift working, with a big queue; so I went down the stairs only to just miss a Piccadilly Line train with three minutes to the next. In that time the others caught up with me again.

I was now beginning to think that Peter & I would be following each other again, but I was surprised when he left the Piccadilly Line earlier than me and left it down to just one other team with me. Tractakid then became unwell and was struggling on the runs. This meant that I got a train up on them at Aldgate East, following the run from Aldgate. But then I had a succession of just missed trains followed by three minute waits, so by London Bridge I had been caught up again. A few slick changes later all three of us finished at Vauxhall in a time which was a Zone 1 PB for me.

On the Victoria Line coming back from Vauxhall, someone who had overheard our conversation introduced themselves as another tube challenger, although his claims about the time he had achieved for the full network seemed to based on pure fantasy.

I was somewhat surprised to be first back at the pub, but disappointed that they wouldn't let me go upstairs to the usual room. I was delighted to find that I had come joint second, as I didn't think the time would have been good enough. As soon as the quiz was over, I had to rush off to an event at the Royal Institution just down the road where I was supposed to be wearing smart dress, but the hassle of organising it was too much, so I just sat at the back and hoped nobody would notice. It was only when I was sitting there that I realised quite how much I stank of stale sweat!

Today, I'm paying the price for my exertions of yesterday, feeling as sore as after some full network attempts. Each time, I say that I will take this one a bit easier and do it just for fun, but then my competitive instinct takes over and I try as hard as I can. I don't think I could have faced a Random 15 today, even if I had been free.