TUBE 3 THE COCK UP AT RICKMANSWORTH

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
palkanetoijala31

TUBE 3 THE COCK UP AT RICKMANSWORTH

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

To copy the the possible world record holders on Dec 29th we planned our own sneaky attempt today although things didnt quite go to plan.Stayed overnight in Rickmansworth thought this would be ok as a cab office is rght there but no he has only 1 taxi and it would take an hour and doesnt even know any other taxi numbers.So we had to take the 3rd Amersham train of the day a start of 06.15.58 so delayed by 48 mins starting what a calamity.

Things were going quite well no major hold ups all day until later the start was quite a let down the times meant we lost 10 mins becuase thats just the way it is at that time but once we got it out of the way things began to look better.

First run of the day was a new one for me unplanned but interesting and came out on paper exactly as i thought it would 9 mins on we go and we were exactly on Gwr pace give or take a min or 2.The second run of the day went fine i enjoy this one although my team mates didnt.

Onward to West Ruislip and the Ickenham run and a personal best i believe i ran it in 5 mins 3 secs and even could have got on a train but team mates were not anywhere near station so waited for them for them down to Uxbridge and a horrible 10 min wait not good thats was our 5th bad change in a row surely the luck was going to have to change.

Fortunately it began too the next few were a 25 secs better change a 41 second better change and then an incredible 4mins 27 secs better change and the next one was also not bad clawing back that time lost.

Next came our witness statement and we got the best a Policeman came on the train and seemed quite interested in what we were doing and was quite happy to do it

In no particular order the rest of the route went like this

went the wrong way at euston square exit
10 second double back at Goodge street
23 secs change at finchley cent for MHE
bus caught at Edgware instantly although a run for the bus stop was in order nearly caught 307 exactly at high barnet

summary up until the point of abandonment we were a little behind on Gwr,on Gwr,and ahead of gwr but we suffered a 20 min loss and we couldnt claw that back on the rest of the plan but be afriad Mr Soup Dragon team as we have a route that matches urs and was nearly perfect to detail.
Last edited by palkanetoijala31 on 31 Oct 2009, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
ping pon
Zone 4

Re: Sneaky Attempt II March 4th

Post by ping pon »

so who did you do the challenge with ??
One has lost the game !!!!!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Tangy and Chris a it was a fun day and its the closest i have ever been to gwr pace after 8 hours in although not team decision i felt it was a mistake to go up towards kings cross as we knew problems there.But sometimes u win some sometimes u lose i thought better to go to wimbledon and change slightly and hope it was cleared in a few hours.

I think we would have definately completed but seeing as we all have done that we just wanted to be either really close to the record on the last train or hoping it would beat the record and i was dead tired after arranging everything.
Chris A
Zone 1

Post by Chris A »

I have to admit that a 3 mile walk was not the ideal preparation for the day and I was starting to go down with a cold as well.

I've been thinking about whether we made the right decision at Gloucester Road and it's probably impossible to say as such a radical route alteration would have been completely untimed and who knows whether the timings would have worked at Feltham or later on in Walthamstow.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Well, hindsight is a wonderful thing

So I have yet to complete a full attempt, although this has been the furthest I have been on one.

I still believe we made the right decision as I was slightly concerned with Victoria line early closing although the problem was the usual "to many in the Seven Sisters area" which can never be predicted.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.