TUBE 2 THE 1ST COMPLETION

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

UPDATE 14:40HRS

They have given up on GWR but are still aiming to complete...... Hoepfully Sarah can have her toilet break now and looks like the provisional time set on 29th Dec is still safe........
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

UPDATE 1605 HRS

Approx 41mins behind GWR pace, now heading underground so will be out of signal range for sometime.....

This will be my last update of the day as wont have internet access after 17:30hrs
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

** UPDATE 16:45**
A very good Hainault loop and the team are currently at Wanstead, estimated time is currently looking to be around 18 hours.

** LATEST UPDATE **
Andi & Sarah should finish around midnight so time will be around 18h30m
One day I shall return!
palkanetoijala31

2nd Attempt completed

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Hi everyone im back

First off Yes we did complete all 268 and special plaudits should go to Sarah a complete novice tubechallenger no idea of directions to go lines to take stops to get off and a slow running pace with horrible aching legs trust me she could hardly walk up stairs from about 3pm.Sarah says will never ever do again but might try a smaller challenge like a dlr or south thames challenge so anyone like to congratulate her please do so i think she appreciate it i love her to bits for even considering it with me.

And thanks to Soup dragon,Going Underground and Tangy for helping us out during the day.

Two questions? i like to ask fellow tubechallengers before i get to a detailed report what time does that Watford connection get in to Moor park?and secondly how does one get a copy of the full WTT?

First off as Anthony says we set off at 5.28.29 from Amersham Anthony helpfully put us in the right carriage something I,ve never bothered to do but he told me someone did miss the first connection at Chalfront once.Up to Chesham and back down to Chalfront where Anthony left us continued to Moor Park got in at 6.20.22 didnt see train go past coming in to Moor Park so thought it hadnt arrived but ended up waiting 11 mins bad.

Told Sarah I had planned for 1 missed connection not 2? before West Harrow but told her she have to run now.Although that was the plan going into Watford a horrible 7 min wait at Watford so we were 10 mins down already instead of possible being on time or 10 mins up getting in to West harrow.

Please note Tube challengers that we were laden down with heavy bags we had to take 4 changes of clothing for the 4 days in London plus chargers,walkie talkie and cameras so any run time plus the fact i had to slow up my pace as well is not really conclusive to what i could do but maybe useful to people who cant run unlike Starkey,Tangy and myself and others.

Sarah timed run 8 mins 17 secs for Harrow run at North harrow I sent her out in front of me to get a head start but bless her she stopped as she wasnt sure of where she was going.Took the lead so she could follow me most of the way down the road on walkie talkie.I was probably 3 mins ahead of her at the end but stayed outside the tube station as there was no tube fortunately it came in about 1 min 30 secs ahead of schedule so made some time back.

Down to Preston Road and double back to Northwick Park good interchanges and made 2 mins back 6 mins down on plan but still well within GWR. Sarah even had a chance for a quick toilet break I really must get the map with toilets on for future reference.

Sarah timed run Northwick Park to Kenton 3 mins 52 secs i stayed with her this time in eyesight because i knew we had 4 mins to do it in.I got to the station the tube was there held the door up naughty naughty Andi paid the price my other watch came off in the door and we were on up to Harrow & Whealdstone.Im beginning to like this place i always assumed bad connections here and we nearly had a perfect 1 if the train on the other platform was just a few seconds later we have had it but in the end it didnt matter as we got the train a few mins later and still stayed 6 mins down on plan and on the same train or be it later 1 than my first attempt.

Train down to Queens park was nice and when arriving in Queens park i noticed that we had caught up 4 mins so were 2 mins down on plan cross platform change was good 25 secs to arr/dep and all the way down to Elephant & Castle with no major time gains or losses after that though my plan started to go a little astray and this is where it needs tweaking to afford the time losses that we suffered.

The first train was a High Barnet but knowing that we just missed a Mill Hill East train we changed at Camden Town to the other branch here we slipped up due to people blocking our view of the signs and we went on the Northern line Southbound instead of Northbound but i realised my mistake and changed cost us 10 mins though.

Went up to Edgeware and saw the bus 186 there arriving in station just left before i could get to it but we ran round corner and caught it up the road nice fast bus driver got to Canons park very quick BEST EVER but a snag there were problems on the Jubilee line (stuffed us up all day that line Thanks and cost us at the least and outside chance of a record) we couldnt avoid it though and had to wait 11 mins there.Up to Stanmore and i think a bad return for a driver 5 mins sat there this will be noted in my future attempt planning and down to Baker Street slightly disappointed here waiting 6 mins for Eastbound H&C train.

I hate Aldgate always have always will but i learnt a trick here and the surrounding stations and this is where i pick up time in future did a sneaky change to get Aldgate out of way first although it didnt matter if i did or didnt.

Sarah run time Aldgate to Aldgate East 3 mins 17 secs but waited at Aldgate East 5 mins for Eastbound when we should have gone Westbound instead never mind.Up to Stepney Green and double back changes were reasonable.First time i attempted i made a complete mess of the kensington olympia connection but this time i had 3 chances for a perfect connection coming down the District line.In fairness to Sarah tiredness lack of energy we went for the Barons court to Kensington Olympia with 12 mins for her to make connection.

I ran out of station and got some supplies on route some water told her to brisk walk and keep in touch had to hurry her a little more than the pace than she wanted but the connection was made Sarah run/walk time 11 mins 0 secs.Reasonable transfer down to Piccardilly Line at Earls Court (I had the door positions this time ha ha) and on up north where due to lack of expierance i made a horrible lack of judgement on connections at Finsbury Park rookie mistake.This cost us at least another 10 mins maybe more and so i predict we were about 15 mins down at this point.

Down to Warren Street on Victoria line and out this is where Sarah really suffered me being a gallant gentleman stuck with her i had planned a Goodge Street double back with either tube both ways or a run between if none at 1 end i had planned this would take about 6 mins to do.Sarah really suffered here(at least it will encourage her to quit the fags) and it took us 16 mins to do another 10 mins lost.

25 mins down I felt that the record was slipping away luck was not going are way and i got proved right i was looking at the times and thought we just going to miss the Mill Hill East connection we did and spent 19 mins doing this when it should have been 9 mins another 10 mins gone.Had this not happened as well we have made better connections up ahead and not lost further time at High Barnet.Also something else happened here but i dont think its appropirate for the forum.

High Barnet now the planning for this connection to Cockfosters/Oakwood is my forte but not even i cant compensate for luck now on my own i have done every concieveable route (Running it,Bus 307/Run,Bus 384,various buses changes with running and Bus 307 to Oakwood double back)I cant expect Sarah to run any of this so took Bus.Waited 13 mins for bus at high barnet had chance to get some supplies though although Sarah could have quickly gone to toilet missed out there.Went to Oakwood but really should have got off and run to Cockfosters lost overall 18 mins with a horrible wait at Cockfosters.I think we were about 41 or close mins down on GWR from about only 0-5 down 1 hour earlier.

That being said the next section up to Walthamstow and down to the Central line was sweet and a encouraging message from Going Underground to keep going all lines good service minor delays possibly Jubilee Line cleared.?We got into Walthamstow I have never liked the Bus station there and the previous day we planned a certain way of doing this.

We had a window to run down the road past Tangy house to Walthamstow Queens Road we got there just Perfect although it has started pouring down at this point thank god for the shelter.Off at Leytonstone High Rd no bus for Sarah and had to run but made the Leytonstone Station just right for either way round the Hainault loop.Just because the Epping train came in first we decided on spot to go there and wait at Woodford 6 mins on way back down.King of the Hainault loop i think i am i never have had to wait more than 6 mins either im lucky or plain good at this part.

Stratford and the F*****g Juibilee line again another 10 min wait but now we got it out of way and Waterloo was a nice change always been bad to me in past.Better luck a through train on the charing cross branch past Kennington?i thought they all stopped here.The Stockwell,Brixton,Pimlico double back all went to plan and better than i had although we missed a couple of train numbers here due to the quickness of it all.

Morden i had various options for getting to Wimbledon to double back to South Wimbledon and bus it was wrong choice waited 9 mins for a bus never mind got final supplies there.Wimbledon was ok apart from a drunken prat who nearly kicked my bad right knee took the exact time the JP says it takes to Edgware Road on Saturday it took 11 mins longer so i was worried about that.In and out of Edgware Road in 2 mins i dont think i have ever had that good a connection there so there was hope our luck was turning.

Hammersmith great connection and Ealing broadway train was there got on it and out at Chiswick Park due to Sarah,s now worsening leg problems every connection we made was slower than the absolute perfect.
Sarah Chiswick Park to Gunnersbury Run/Walk time 8 mins 3 secs i knew the train was 6 mins behind us at Hammersmith i could have made the tube but no way she would have lost another 6 mins here waiting for the train down.

Richmond transfered to the Feltham train and reasonable connections on to Bus 285 over to Hatton Cross and around Heathrow loop up to Acton town to meet Martin (Tangy) bad connection at there waited 10 mins for Ealing Broadway train reasonable change over to West Acton and a bit of an argument!.I told Martin that Sarah couldnt run anymore and had to walk but he ran out and naturally like a tubechallenger i followed at top speed when we got there there was a tube but Sarah was nowhere in sight and really argued with me at North Ealing she went out to have a fag to compose herself as we waited.Note to all who have Tyytostyva (girlfriends) katso minne astut (watch your step).

That being over we were about finsihed had to wait in the horrible cold at Rayners Lane for a while changed at Uxbridge to go back to Ickenham considering what happened at North Ealing didnt want to anger Sarah further.So we walked to West ruislip had the great idea of the next person who helps us next time to be there with a pint at the pub maybe this spurred her on and she suggested to run just about the hill.

Got there and it was all over no delays and a leisurely last hour an half said goodbye to Martin at Liverpool Street as we knew record was out of reach.Waited 5 mins at Mile end and drifted into Upminster at 23:57:47

a Grand time of 18h29mins16secs a completion and i think we have been a lot more closer if not for the horrible bit in the middle due to some poor planning and bad luck and better running.
Last edited by palkanetoijala31 on 09 Jan 2008, 17:07, edited 2 times in total.
palkanetoijala31

delete this post
Last edited by palkanetoijala31 on 11 Jan 2008, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
palkanetoijala31

deleted this post
Last edited by palkanetoijala31 on 11 Jan 2008, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

palkanetoijala31 wrote: Two questions? i like to ask fellow tubechallengers before i get to a detailed report what time does that Watford connection get in to Moor park?and secondly how does one get a copy of the full WTT?
The Watford connection is due into Moor Park at 0622, it is the 0548 service from Baker Street, the train no. is 446, its only slack is a wait for 1/2 a minute at Harrow on the Hill. The train 10 minutes after is the "06.06 1/2" from Wembley Park, this starts at Neasden depot at 0600, this is train no. 423.

The connection from Chesham is due into Moor Park at 0620.

So this should be a straight forward 2 minute connection, I have actually only ever caught the train once in any attempt I've taken, but frequently I have seen the 0548 service from Baker Street just run 10 minutes late as it was still train no. 446 so I was sure it was the 0548 service.
palkanetoijala31

The train i got was 423 and presumed schedule i was in Moor Park 6.20.22 so unless it left 3 mins early or more not seen going off to the left of the train going in on way in to Moor Park its a mystery where that suppossed train was and it ruined what could have been a very good attempt.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

Train no. 446 in question starts its day at 05.08 from Neasden depot and runs light to Wembley Park arriving at 05.14 and at 05.20 leaves from Wembley Park and heads to Baker Street arriving at "0533 1/2" and then waits 14 and a half minutes and heads back to Watford, the traincrew that works the train up to Watford also works it up from Neasden and down from Wembley Park.

I really have no idea what happens to this train so often, but what I do know is the 06.33 always seems to run and that starts from Wembley Park at 05.46 rather than going down to Baker Street. It could be overrunning engineering work in the south end of the Metropolitan line perhaps and this is infact the first train of the day from Baker Street to Watford (the first two Metropolitan line trains run to Uxbridge).

So overall we see the services eitherside of the 06.22 both start at Wembley Park and both seem to always run, but the 06.22 starting at Baker Street doesn't.
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

engineering work overrun does seem a likely cause in that case.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Here are the connections that we have made from Moor Park to Watford during our attempts:

Tube 1 - 17-11-06 - 446 Departed 06:20:42
Tube 2 - 28-12-06 - 443 Departed 06:22:49
Tube 3 - 05-04-07 - 446 Departed 06:22:31
Tube 4 - 13-04-07 - 423 Departed 06:49:27
Tube 5 - 25-07-07 - 446 Departed 06:21:17
Tube 6 - ??? (Going Underground should have details)
Tube 7 - 29-12-07 - 443 Departed 06:28:03
One day I shall return!
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

Soup Dragon wrote:Here are the connections that we have made from Moor Park to Watford during our attempts:

Tube 1 - 17-11-06 - 446 Departed 06:20:42
Tube 2 - 28-12-06 - 443 Departed 06:22:49
Tube 3 - 05-04-07 - 446 Departed 06:22:31
Tube 4 - 13-04-07 - 423 Departed 06:49:27
Tube 5 - 25-07-07 - 446 Departed 06:21:17
Tube 6 - ??? (Going Underground should have details)
Tube 7 - 29-12-07 - 443 Departed 06:28:03
So you made it 5 times out of 7 (Tube 7 being the right train as 443 is the no. of that train on a Saturday, just running 6 mins down). What days were most of your challenges done on, maybe that could answer if engineering work was really to blame?
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

joy54 wrote:So you made it 5 times out of 7 (Tube 7 being the right train as 443 is the no. of that train on a Saturday, just running 6 mins down). What days were most of your challenges done on, maybe that could answer if engineering work was really to blame?
Actually Tube 6 was our Chesham start with an Amersham finish, so the Moor Park time on this one would be imaterial. As for the other challenges:

Tube 1: Friday
Tube 2: Thursday (but with a Saturday service due xmas/new year)
Tube 3: Thursday
Tube 4: Friday the 13th... Note... stupid day to do a challenge
Tube 5: Wednesday
Tube 6: Friday
Tube 7: Saturday
One day I shall return!
palkanetoijala31

Both of my attempts have been on a monday so maybe i change that next time and do on a thursday or a wednesday at the rate im doing these challenges i catch up with you soon maybe i can even beat Bob Robinsons record.

As anyone ever got on the 07.16 train from Harrow & Whealdstone and doing all the usual stations in between?
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

A couple of times we got away from Harrow & Wealdstone by 07:26 on the Silverlink Metro. We never managed to make the 7:16 yet, as usually we have always had a problem before H&W or actually at H&W itself.
One day I shall return!