TUBE 1 THE NOVICE ATTEMPT

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
palkanetoijala31

TUBE 1 THE NOVICE ATTEMPT

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

hi

havent been on forum for a long time trouble logging on will be making my first attempt at all stations november 26th or 27th anybody wishing to keep me company or do the whole day more than welcome pm me if interested my route starts in amersham and ends in upminster

heres hoping i get round first time
Last edited by palkanetoijala31 on 31 Oct 2009, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

If you do this on Tuesday 27th November, I would be able to offer support in the evening from approx 6pm onwards. Please PM me if that would be of any use.
One day I shall return!
palkanetoijala31

hi

will be out on monday 26th november hopefully i make it round to complete first time will provide a write up later on. Will be wearing a suomi (finland) t shirt so everybody will recognise from the masses my route has a 1 hour and a bit window to catch the last train to upminster so even with delays i reckon i can complete.
palkanetoijala31

hi everyone

1. First of all didnt complete Richmond line was out all day thought they would bother to clear it but decided to close it and replace with buses but would have done 272 out of 275 stations but gave up as i really wanted 275 at 5 pm with 153 stations done with a lot of research for a better attempt and my plan was actually nearly correct.

Start of the day at Amersham 5am was nice execept for the weirdo sat outside who seemed to follow me everywhere i walked outside the station just wanted to get away from him felt happier when more sane commuters started turning up.

Train arrived at 5.18am and started on time at 5.25am few first easy connections at Chalfront and Chesham were uneventful so onto Moor park and the first problem could i make connection yes and really quite easy got off walked across platform and saw train arriving in distance problem 1 solved.

Watford saw no problems although i was surprised to change trains i hadnt researched this part for obvious reasons and back towards North harrow started stretching for the famous Harrow run to the amusement of some commuters got into North harrow at 6.50am and set off at a brisk jogging pace (despite a knee ligament injury) had route mapped in my head (note to self dont bring map with u next time) it was going really well started to slow the pace at just after the school made it up the steps at West harrow time taken 5 mins 30 secs train came in about 50 secs later i just managed to catch my breath back at this point problem 2 solved.

Next bit saw the Preston road double back my plan did say 4 mins change for this i must have got a sexy late train in my favour as i got off walked across and the train was 10 secs in distance arriving so back to Northwick park for the Kenton run disadvantage of being on your own i could have walked this briskly and saved some energy change at kenton was 2-3 mins and up to Harrow & Whealdstone where the good luck with changes continued and a Overground train there which i didnt expect to catch in my plan i was waiting 7 mins here so very good luck.

On the train down to Queens park let me think about my plan i was going to be 8 mins ahead so changed at Queens park for a Bakerloo train down to Lambeth north and decide to run down to Southwark or that was the plan got hampered by seeing the Waterloo sign on the left and thought i was going wrong way read later i was right track but got confused it was later round bend but it was still on Jubilee line so didnt matter and didnt cost me my connection at London bridge (in plan it was at Elephant & castle with 4 mins extra for london bridge)

London bridge a bonus the train coming in was a Mill hill east train so no waiting at Finchley central reasonable changeover and back time taken from Finchley central and back just over 12 mins change up to High barnet was good 1 min so my good luck prevailed heard their were minor delays on District line but rest of system was good got into High Barnet near enough on time my plan allowed 29 mins for the connection to Cockfosters ran up hill and saw a bus in distance wasnt prefered 307 in my plan but a 384 but on a test run 384 took 24 mins for travel so reckoned in was worth the risk with a 5 min window.

Cockfosters on time Piccardilly trains though are slow and i need more expeirence of times on them was timing it all the way to Earls court first mistake tried to make connection for Kensington olympia didnt make it so precede to go down District line to Barons court ran all the way to Kensington olympia and waited a long time 8 mins for the train (note to self rearrange the whole Kensington olympia,west kensington,earls court for future attempt).

First debacle out of way knew this might be a problem for myself so took Stepney green out and changed at Aldgate east to get back on planned time then ran to aldgate did the Tubeguru advice and used underpass although i dont think its necessary but im alive cricle line was having a hard time but i got a Metropolitan line out instead to Baker street Met line was kind to me all day change wasnt rehearsed in this 1 but made it gave 4 mins change running at baker street on to the Jubilee line.

Up to Stanmore back out in 2 mins although the driver was on his mobile phone walking down platform tut tut and got into Canons park rushed out to the welcome sight of bus coming in took 5 mins to get to edgware wow i made back at least 7 mins on these sexy connections went down to Camden town to change for Mornington crescent and then to Goodge street in my plan this was a possible platform change or run to Warren street with a photo done got to the northbound platform and the train was approaching i made it with 5 secs to spare no time for photo and i read this was a horrible place to change.

Warren street and up to Walthamstow with the most stupid bus station i have ever seen wanted the 69 bus but it didnt stop for me so got the 97 behind it and we passed the 69 on the way down to Leyton so ha ha bus driver 69 u were glared at by me traffic was horrible and slow and thought i wouldnt make connection got to the Leyton bridge with 4 mins left for connection saw that the traffic wasnt moving quick pleaded with bus driver to let me off she wouldnt do it until the bus stop got there though and made connection with 30 secs spare phew.

This bit was very sweet i had planned it so i wouldnt get held up at Hainault and sure enough change at Epping was easy back down to Woodford and Hainault train due 2 mins i breathed a sigh of realease. On the way round a lovely sexy lady with a baby and a small boy got on going to Leytonstone the boy had a come on doll from the adverts and was playing and looking very excited when trains went passed she was a little distracted though and nearly missed her stop i helped her with her pushchair off she was a sexy lady i only wished she was single but i didnt see a wedding ring though maybe i missed out there. It was at this point i found out that the Richmond branch would not come back into operation so by so close to my intended ending point i decided i would not complete but gain some valuable info about ell line for an attempt before it closes.

walk between new crosses was great easy although i wished it had been the way for the bus going because i passed 2 on the way to ncg never mind back up to whitechapel and the unplanned finish decided to wait around for els bus just to see how long i would have waited for it it was around 20 mins i was there but it really didnt matter as i had planned a cunning plan for that if need be and went up to Upminster logging the time as i went along in all i think i did 175 stations and was roughly good with my plan heres to the next attempt and getting around this time.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Blimey, it sounds like you had incredible luck all the way through, except for the Richmond business! All the best for next time.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Very in depth report and sounded like a good first attempt, apart from the Richmond business. Just out of interest was the London Overground still operating between Gunnersbury & Richmond? I heard on the radio several times they gave out that the District Line was closed to Richmond due to problems between Gunnersbury & Turnham Green?
If London Overground was still operating you could have done the Gunnersbury to Chiswick Park run.
One day I shall return!
palkanetoijala31

thanx my plan was in 2 parts an optimistic and fast change one and a slow more realiable 1 the first was 17h 55m and the 2nd was 18h 18m just in record pace my aim was to keep as close to the first as possible to allow for delays

the second was a estimate of a perfect or 2-4 min wait at every station with delays for ken o shoreditch mill hill east given estimated times for waiting

plus there was no annoucements of the london overground between richmond and gunnersbury i presumed that because of enigineering works they would have stopped too and had buses
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Pushchairs in the Leytonstone area again eh.... :?:

Remember last years attempt with Ric & David Scard young Starkey :?:
You helped a damsel in distress up the stairs at Leytosntone High Road :P

And as for 8 mins ahead at Queens Park :shock: By this time we are always at least 10mins down and frantically working on our "Woodford via Hainhault(sic) survival guide as our route has gone to pot by now :?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Sorry to say London Overground was operating, apparently the problem was a new set of points installed at Turnham Green, but this did not affect London Overground services heading out of Richmond to Gunnersbury and beyond. If only you had known you could have continued with the challenge, tough luck. :(
One day I shall return!
palkanetoijala31

well there goes good information on the tube i was told that there were no trains at all going down even overground but next time i see for myself lesson learnt.

Going underground 10 mins down at Queens park and u still have a possible record it just shows u had a good team which got back the time that i lost through bad decisions of 1 member i suppose in 1 way its good precise thought unless i start arguing with myself ha ha

now that i have even more days holiday thanx girlfriend for letting me have freedom (glad she is like this and not like my ex missus who wouldnt even let me have female friends or go to pub i told her finns spend more time in pubs than the english believe it its true) i be in town friday 30th nailing down all the problems i had which were few but i could gain vital knowledge.
Root
All Zones

Re: TUBE 1 THE NOVICE ATTEMPT

Post by Root »

DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO USE CAPITAL LETTERS FOR EVERY SINGLE TOPIC?
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
palkanetoijala31

Re: TUBE 1 THE NOVICE ATTEMPT

ITS MY SECTION I DO WHAT I BLOODY WELL LIKE!