TUBE 55 WORLD RECORD NO 6 NOT ACCORDING TO GUINNESS

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
Iain
All Zones

Re: TUBE 55 WORLD RECORD NO 6 NOT ACCORDING TO GUINNESS

Post by Iain »

It was all on for 15:37 until the last train was delayed
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

greatkingrat wrote:I think he means the 1st time was when they rejected the Browns claim done on a Saturday.
yes 1st time for me but 2nd time a claim a rightful one has been refused!
palkanetoijala31

Seeing as this route took over two years to compile and several trial runs to iron out difficulties and re form other better possibilities. As Iain says my only really tight change was at Finchley central so for all that theory work to come to nothing is particularly annoying.
Tube.b
Zone 1

Post by Tube.b »

Have Guinness lost their mind! They are basically saying "yes we think that an image of each station with a time stamp which a two year old could just photoshop is sufficient , but written log books, and signed witness statements, nah not good enough"
Also the mysterious oyster card rule which got removed but really they still want is absolutely stupid!
Andrew B
2 fnc attempts and completions.
Too optimistic with times
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Andi - gutted to hear that your record was denied (even though it means my theory route is still - just - within the "official" record!).

It sounds to me as if the adjudicator - perhaps one who has not adjudicated a FNC before - has over-interpreted the rules to mean that the photos are required at every station, rather than a change of rules per se.

Either way,probably worth one (or more of us) writing to/emailing Guinness to request a clarification on this - and maybe (if you've no objection) putting in a good word for you while we're at it!

Speaking personally if the disqualification stands it rather puts the dampeners on any attempt I might make - not just because it effectively means that any failure to get a photo (I've had some where the door has opened/closed in the way while I've been taking the shot!) ruins the attempt, but more so because to my mind any time I may set quicker than the official record but slower than your time would have been gained by default rather than fair and square.

Would never have happened when Norris was in charge...

Richard
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
palkanetoijala31

well the appeal has yet to be decided of course but if u get an official time faster put it in as i have already said in previous post 16h 14m 10s is not unbeatable but perhaps the evidence to prove it is!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Steeevooo wrote: Now, our method was to take photos at every 2 to 3 stations - so essentially GWR are saying that it is possible for somebody to arrive at a station, take a photograph and then get out of the station, transport yourself to a station 2 stops down the line, take another photograph and then get onto the same train that you got off of. I'd love for them to explain how this is possible.
Needless to say, I am looking for a way to appeal this rejection.

Exactly what i was thinking Steeevooo, once you have boarded a train until your next interchange where you are staying on the same line how on earth could you possibly gain anything by leaving the network?? Unless possibly you have a private helicopter handy :roll:

As I said to Andi be very careful on the appeal as it seemed from our denied Saturday GWR that ONLY one appeal is allowed!

Good luck with it fingers crossed :)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
palkanetoijala31

steveo is in charge of appeal as i dont have particulary good diplomatic skills i feel this is in a long line of personal attacks against myself and people may scoff but it is the truth. I have been passed over for promotion to a band 3 technician several times,several women have really gone to try and make me feel down and worthless and i have had to bounce back several times form all this upset and hurt of people wanted to put knives in my back.

Now this was one thing that actually went right for me this year a bonus something to cling on to a bit of hope but alas that will now be taken away from me as well probably.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

((Andi))
ReadingChallenger
Zone 1

Post by ReadingChallenger »

All the best with the appeal guys. Clearly the adjudicator has next to no knowledge of the challenge (or he's just being an expletive). To reject a claim on these grounds is just ridiculous.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Little bit of detective work on the JP suggests this probably wasn't a Chesham/Amersham start/H5 finish as the only timings which would give a 15:37 has a half-hour wait at Chalfont & Latimer!
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Legally, it all hinges on whether or not Guinness specified in the regulations before you started the attempt that all 270 photos were required. As I understand it, they didn't specify this, so that's a new record.

I think we're taking away from the fact that they (probably) did this in the time they claim, and so I think "congratulations" are in order, whether Guinness approve of it or not!

I maintain that the standard of challenging is very, very high right now. It's a real shame that we've had such good challengers all come along at once (Geoff, Andi, Clive, Marc, et al), each of whom, if they'd have been born in a different time, would have probably never lost the record, and that just adds kudos to Andi & Steve's time. I can't believe Geoff and Andi have made over 80 tube runs between them, and that the competition has just pushed the bar to extraordinary levels, meaning that if you're going to get it first time, you need to have supreme levels of testing, data analysis, sheer dumb luck, and a perfect route. You didn't need all of those things even 10-15 or so years ago: Geoff thought he'd got the record with a Morden finish at one point! Bob Robinson's final record started at Temple (of all places), neither of which would get you anywhere near now. It just goes to show that this is the highest standard of tube challenging ever. And this time just proves it.

15:45... in the words of F1 commentator Martin Brundle: "take THAT, the rest of you!"

Odds for a sub-15 time after Viccy upgrade?
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Absolutely, which is why I now regard 15:45:38 as the time to beat irrespective of what Guinness say!

That said, I'd be happy with a completion and delighted with a sub-17/top 10 finish!
palkanetoijala31

well i can tell you that they are 3 new runs that i obviously researched practiced during attempts tube 47-54 these were not advertised none of them were completions either. As a matter of fact the whole attempt tube 55 was researched in 8 differant parts picking up the route at differant times during the day tube 47 being the first 2 hours etc.

It of course is something i can use all the time but now i will have to go over where they are roundels according to my exit position and i have to figure out if this oyster thing is viable?. that is whether i decide i wish to continue.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

hopeful traveller wrote:Legally, ...
Unfortunately, this is Guinness' private members club - they set the rules and they allow entry at their discretion. This is not a case of legally.

Well done Andi and Steve - a truly great time. My current fastest paper route is a 15:37 and that relies on perfection (which as we know, doesnt usually happen).
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.