TUBE 55 WORLD RECORD NO 6 NOT ACCORDING TO GUINNESS

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Re: TUBE 55 WORLD RECORD NO 6 NOT ACCORDING TO GUINNESS

Post by A Challenge »

michael_churchill wrote:
A Challenge wrote: Probably not, but another anomaly with the labyrinths, which are posted about in the comments, it is the odd order of numbering of them in the Finchley area.

Finchley Central 212 in the waiting room by the toilets on the southbound platform
West Finchley 213 In the waiting room on the southbound platform
Mill Hill East 214 In the waiting room on the platform

Anyone done that on a challenge attempt, least of all the one mentioned to get a record?

Labyrinth information from geofftech.co.uk with a few changes and BBCode formating added
Then Geoff has made a mistake,

http://art.tfl.gov.uk/labyrinth/artwork/mill-hill-east/ confirms that Mill Hill East is 213
http://art.tfl.gov.uk/labyrinth/artwork/west-finchley/ and West Finchley is 214

In fact, Geoff has made a complete mistake with the eastern end of the District. After West Ham, they must have gone NR to Upminster and District line back because it's 75. West Ham; 76. Upminster; 77. Upminster Bridge etc. Geoff has them going up in order going eastwards.
They may have done that, but as you are saying it is unlikely, and I doubt that they did.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Geoff's animation of the labyrinth route on YouTube shows the stations between West Ham and Upminster being visited on the outward journey.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

A Challenge wrote:
michael_churchill wrote:
A Challenge wrote: Probably not, but another anomaly with the labyrinths, which are posted about in the comments, it is the odd order of numbering of them in the Finchley area.

Finchley Central 212 in the waiting room by the toilets on the southbound platform

Anyone done that on a challenge attempt, least of all the one mentioned to get a record?

Labyrinth information from geofftech.co.uk with a few changes and BBCode formating added

http://art.tfl.gov.uk/labyrinth/artwork/mill-hill-east/ confirms that Mill Hill East is 213

In fact, Geoff has made a complete mistake with the eastern end of the District. After West Ham, they must have gone NR to Upminster and District line back because it's 75. West Ham; 76. Upminster; 77. Upminster Bridge etc. Geoff has them going up in order going eastwards.
They may have done that, but as you are saying it is unlikely, and I doubt that they did.
I don't follow your comment. To clarify...

If the labyrinths are correctly numbered based on the route of the record set by Andi James, Martin Hazel and Steve Wilson on 14 December 2009, then they did the conventional and obvious thing of getting to Finchley Central, going up to Mill Hill East and back then continuing on to High Barnet.

If you are talking about my comment on the District line, I believe it is common to do the Upminster section by using the faster National Rail one way and the District line the other. If you use the National Rail from West Ham to Upminster then Upminster is the next station you can tick off after West Ham, followed by all the District line stations as you return.

I'm simply pointing out that the list on geofftech.co.uk has some numbers wrong.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

The source of confusion may be the article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/trave ... lenge.html which has a couple of other mistakes:

"the District line to Upminster and then Tower Hill.
Tower Hill - take the Circle line to Aldgate"
The labyrinth numbers are 92. Whitechapel; 93. Aldgate East; 94. Aldgate; 95. Tower Hill; which implies District to Aldgate East, then on foot to Aldgate, then the Circle.

"take the District line to Kensington (Olympia).
Run 0.9 miles to Shepherd's Bush.
Shepherd's Bush - take the Central line to Woodford"
The labyrinth numbers are 129. Kensington Olympia; 130. Shepherd's Bush; 131. White City; 132. Holland Park; which implies one stop westbound on the Central before doubling back and continuing to Woodford. Otherwise White City is missed.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Probably we should not trust the article.

I'm almost certain the Aldgate run was done meaning the Whitechapel, Aldgate East, Aldgate, Tower Hill order should be correct. As for White City, I suspect that's also an error in the article.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

A Challenge wrote:
michael_churchill wrote:

Which bit are you questioning the order in which we did things?
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Geoff site is wrong Wikipedia is wrong do people not ask permission before posting such basic facts that turn out to be wrong. Wikipedia is a classic example of power hunger people whom have nothing better to do but piss people off.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Geoff site is wrong Wikipedia is wrong do people not ask permission before posting such basic facts that turn out to be wrong. Wikipedia is a classic example of power hunger people whom have nothing better to do but piss people off.
You can only trust the primary source, http://art.tfl.gov.uk/labyrinth/. They should know what number is on each of their artworks, after all.

By the way, Andi / Steve, I wonder did the Art on the Underground people / Mark Wallinger approach you and ask you for your route or was your 2009 route already public knowledge?
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Michael,

Art on the Underground approached myself and Andi to ask whether we would be interested in lending them assistance with a project to commemorate 150 years of the tube. After a couple of meetings the project became clearer, and what they required from us became clear too - at this point we were only too happy to divulge the order of staions that we visited on our 2011 World Record run.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Steeevooo wrote:at this point we were only too happy to divulge the order of staions that we visited on our 2011 World Record run.
Don't you mean 2009? I presume you were prepared to divulge the 2009 route because it was obsolete, as it relies on a regular Olympia service.

With the secrecy of challengers these days, it's probably the last time a world-record-setting route will be made public.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Just spotted a line in that awful Evening Standard article (with journalism that shoddy, no wonder they had to start giving it away)
The first recorded attempt to visit every Tube station – of which there were then rather fewer – was in 1959.
I know there have been some new stations like Heathrow and the Jubilee and Victoria lines, but with closed lines like Chesham to Aylesbury, Epping to Ongar, the East London Line and what is now Great Northern between Finsbury Park and Moorgate, there were more stations in 1959.
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

Steeevooo wrote:
A Challenge wrote:
michael_churchill wrote:

Which bit are you questioning the order in which we did things?
The fact that you seemingly got the District line both ways.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

But your response is in direct reply to Michael who has surmised (correctly) that we got the NR out to Upminster and the District line back, so who are you arguing with?
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

michael_churchill wrote:
Steeevooo wrote:at this point we were only too happy to divulge the order of staions that we visited on our 2011 World Record run.
Don't you mean 2009? I presume you were prepared to divulge the 2009 route because it was obsolete, as it relies on a regular Olympia service.

With the secrecy of challengers these days, it's probably the last time a world-record-setting route will be made public.
Apologies, I do of course mean our 2009 route.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

I should point out that the art in the underground website originally showed West Finchley before Mill Hill East, and district out to Upminster.

It also had the Heathrows numbered wrong and Harrow on the Hill in the wrong place.

It did later change as the correct Oder of signs was put up.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.